The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jeff Skinner and Sabres closing in on deal

5 hours ago, billabong said:

My god...skinner is a 9 MILLION dollar winger?! 

Sure hes scored a couple goals but he faded away when buffalo needed him down the stretch and he’s had a concussion history

Kucherov is getting 9.5m (state tax is a factor) and he’s a dominant 100+ point player 

couture is at 8m and he’s been clutch in the ploffs 

Kane is at 10.5m and he’s a first ballot hall of famer, scoring titles and all the hardware. That’s only worth 1.5m than skinner at 9m? 

As far as how Skinner looks at it?

Make sure you factor in the value of a desperate team, and a depraved deprived market. He might have got as much on the open market? But why bother.

Make em pay!

CDC ought to lean a lesson in patience. The guys who run teams can say they don't feel pressure all they want...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

This can't be good for the Boeser negotiations.  I wouldn't be surprised one bit now if Boeser signs in the $8m range.

We've had moments of sanity. The summer of 2011 we let Ehrhoff walk, because he wasn't worth $40 mill. 

Sometimes you have to let them go...

And moments we did not?  ''Weaponizing'' both cap and real dollars to take on Keith Ballard & David Booth. That worked out great?

In any player you want consistency, that they turn up.  Roussel and Beagle both play their guts out.  Easy to take. Vanek, not so much, but he produced. I guess that's so, so. And was only a mid value deal, 1 year.  Buyer beware with guys like Duchesne, who take 2 & 1/2 of every 4 years to cruise. Another 1/2 on full pout. Practice consisting of lobbing eggs at the coaching staff, on the way past the rink from a cab. Presto, magic in a contract year? Panarin has always played hard at the opposite end of the scale of give a sh!t metres? Produced and drove play, even on average teams. On his own worth the price of admission.

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Same club that signed Erhoff to that stupid contract and then had to buy him out. This contract will be almost as bad. That's brutal. 

I remember that press conference. Ehrhoff said something like “I want to win the cup and i feel buffalo gives me the best chance”.

Had nothing to do with the stack of cash. That was all about chasing the cup. Obviously. 

:bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

UFA vs RFA 

Big difference. 

Boeser likely comes in at around 7 mill for 6 years.

That's not how agents are approaching it anymore - young players salary are going up much quicker.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

That's not how agents are approaching it anymore - young players salary are going up much quicker.  

Yes & No.

Nylander got $7 mill x what 6?  He had to hold out to get it.  And he was coming off back to back 60 point years. 

We think Boeser is better? But he also has not done that yet.  Nylander got what Pastrnak got.  Pasta's been better than either.  I think Brock will land just above that, simply due to inflation.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

10 hours ago, billabong said:

My god...skinner is a 9 MILLION dollar winger?! 

Sure hes scored a couple goals but he faded away when buffalo needed him down the stretch and he’s had a concussion history

Kucherov is getting 9.5m (state tax is a factor) and he’s a dominant 100+ point player 

couture is at 8m and he’s been clutch in the ploffs 

Kane is at 10.5m and he’s a first ballot hall of famer, scoring titles and all the hardware. That’s only worth 1.5m than skinner at 9m? 

Gretzky was a bargain at only $3.5 million really...  -_-

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes & No.

Nylander got $7 mill x what 6?  He had to hold out to get it.  And he was coming off back to back 60 point years. 

We think Boeser is better? But he also has not done that yet.  Nylander got what Pastrnak got.  Pasta's been better than either.  I think Brock will land just above that, simply due to inflation.

Nylander played 81 and 82 games to get to 61 points.  Boeser has only played in 62 and 69 games to get to 55 and 56 points.  His points per game is much higher.  He would have easily gotten over 60 points if he had played all 82 games.  Brock will get well over $7 million no doubt not only because of inflation but because he is an overall better player than Nylander.

They know they are going to be building around Eichel for a long time. 

They signed Eichel to a contract he hadn't earned.

They know that Eichel and Skinner have chemistry.

They had no choice, they had to sign him and 9 mil is about the going rate.

Now you have two forwards earning about $20M that have never won anything. 

Have either of them even had a whiff of the playoffs?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They know they are going to be building around Eichel for a long time. 

They signed Eichel to a contract he hadn't earned.

They know that Eichel and Skinner have chemistry.

They had no choice, they had to sign him and 9 mil is about the going rate.

Now you have two forwards earning about $20M that have never won anything. 

Have either of them even had a whiff of the playoffs?

Never. Plus, there have always been questions surrounding Eichels leadership abilities. Skinner was run out of Carolina because he only plays hard in the offensive side of the ice. Doesn't sound like a winning duo to me for 20 million.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We've had moments of sanity. The summer of 2011 we let Ehrhoff walk, because he wasn't worth $40 mill. 

Sometimes you have to let them go...

And moments we did not?  ''Weaponizing'' both cap and real dollars to take on Keith Ballard & David Booth. That worked out great?

In any player you want consistency, that they turn up.  Roussel and Beagle both play their guts out.  Easy to take. Vanek, not so much, but he produced. I guess that's so, so. And was only a mid value deal, 1 year.  Buyer beware with guys like Duchesne, who take 2 & 1/2 of every 4 years to cruise. Another 1/2 on full pout. Practice consisting of lobbing eggs at the coaching staff, on the way past the rink from a cab. Presto, magic in a contract year? Panarin has always played hard at the opposite end of the scale of give a sh!t metres? Produced and drove play, even on average teams. On his own worth the price of admission.

Wait... Are u saying to let Boeser walk? That would actually be insanity.

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure we will - Toronto is going to need a 120 mil cap by then so we'll be good 

The cap increase is a sham.  It’s the escalator clause.  What’s the claw back now - 20%?

Teams signing average players to insane dollars are not going to be forgiven by cap increase.  

Skinner will be one of many buyouts after the next bargaining agreement 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wait... Are u saying to let Boeser walk? That would actually be insanity.

I gave my projection for a target salary for Boeser; aprox $7 mill x 6.

No I don't think anything will come to him walking. My impression is Brock likes it here, will work with us. 

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes & No.

Marner is getting ready to go offer sheet shopping - he wants a Matthews contract.

Gaudreau got 6.8M.  Tkachuk is going to blow that out of the water.  Media is predicting as high as 10M for Laine.  

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Marner is getting ready to go offer sheet shopping - he wants a Matthews contract.

Gaudreau got 6.8M.  Tkachuk is going to blow that out of the water.  Media is predicting as high as 10M for Laine.  

Lol. I will laff if the Jets sign Laine to anything close to 10 million. Watch the dissention in the room as players like Wheeler and Sheiffele play their butts off for way less dollars than that floater. With the way contracts are going its quite possible. 

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Loui's contract doesn't look so bad now does it? 

That’s like saying urine looks better than feces if you’re Bone Spurs.:P

Contract is really terrible but imagine the Canucks with another 30+ goal scoring winger (we have the centers on this team).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Booth was turning out ‘ok’ for us until that Avs player took out his knee on a cheapshot knee-on- knee hit.