The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jeff Skinner and Sabres closing in on deal

4 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

If buffalo expects to get any return after a few years this heavily relies on if he’s still producing at a decent rate nvm his injury issues. Otherwise no one touches that deal with a stick. An early retirement for bobble head skinner. 

No doubt about it.  If I were GM, I wouldn't have taken the gamble, but I understand why Botterill did.

All the talk of overvaluation makes sense, but anyone who has actually watched Skinner play for an extended period of time would come away with WOW this guy is absolutely electric.  He has Patrick Kane hands and McDavid wheels.  He just isn't a every play, every game, every season kind of guy.  I think that if you partner him with the right center and put him in offensive situations his game will keep on improving.  Carolina was just too defensive of a team.  It really is no surprise that his offensive numbers have improved playing with Eichel.  Skinner and Petterson would have been absolutely dynamic.  8 year deal is insane.  I don't even mind the 9 million, but 8 years for anyone is crazy.  I would've done 10M for 3 years as Buffalo has the cap space, but definitely not 8 or even 6 (5 absolute max).

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

This contract boils down to whether the Sabres are actually going to hold onto Skinner and milk him up to his expiration date.  If so, this contract is terrible and will hurt them in the long term.

If the idea is to keep him as a stop-gap to buy a few years for the young players to mature then trade him for cheap while he's still producing and has value then it's a smart move.

The only way this haunts the team in the near future is if his play falls off of a cliff now that he has his career contract.  I don't get the sense that he's that type of person though.

How do you easily move a guy who is 30-31 with 5 years left on a contract paying him $8 million per year if his play falls off a cliff?

It will be worse than the Leaves trying to move Zaitsev...

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

The only plus side I can see from those stats is he basically had to be “the guy” on the Canes. At least here on the Sabres he slides into more of a supportive “pass me the puck” role. 

I don't see it that way - even in Carolina.

Aho, Teravainen = 'the guys'.

Lindholm, Williams, Stahl..

That sounds like an excuse for him that doesn't necessarily hold water.

Regardless, 9 million x 8 years for a  "supportive pass me the puck role" player is a brutal overpayment. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

How do you easily move a guy who is 30-31 with 5 years left on a contract paying him $8 million per year if his play falls off a cliff?

It will be worse than the Leaves trying to move Zaitsev...

Re-read what I've been writing all along.  That's the gamble.  If his play falls off a cliff in the first half of the contract, they're screwed.  If he's still producing at 30-31, someone in the hunt for a cup will take him.

Also, he got 9, not 8.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't see it that way - even in Carolina.

Aho, Teravainen = 'the guys'.

Lindholm, Williams, Stahl..

That sounds like an excuse for him that doesn't necessarily hold water.

Regardless, 9 million x 8 years for a  "supportive pass me the puck role" player is a brutal overpayment. 

I was just playing devils advocate to be honest.

I would argue that Aho was not established at all when Skinner was still pimpin. He was all they had for a while. 

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

This contract boils down to whether the Sabres are actually going to hold onto Skinner and milk him up to his expiration date.  If so, this contract is terrible and will hurt them in the long term.

If the idea is to keep him as a stop-gap to buy a few years for the young players to mature then trade him for cheap while he's still producing and has value then it's a smart move.

The only way this haunts the team in the near future is if his play falls off of a cliff now that he has his career contract.  I don't get the sense that he's that type of person though.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

If he hits a wall at 30 like a good number of snipers do at 30, the Sabres are screwed.  If he's still producing good scoring numbers, they'll likely find a Cup competitive team to take the last half of his contract.

It all boils down to Skinner's offensive output in a few years.  It's a gamble that could come back and kill the Sabres or could end up becoming a shrewd move. 

Personally, if I were a GM, I would have let him walk his happy arse to another team, but I understand why Botterill did what he did in signing him to this contract.

I can't agree with you at all on this.

First - I don't think he's worth 9 million in year one, let alone 4,5 or 8. 

Second, I think you're candy coating this if you believe you are going to skim off the first few/handful of years and then move that contract for 'cheap'.

Skinner is now a 'core' contract until age 35. 

Imo not the kind of 'core' player you 'win with'.

They should have kept - and paid - O'Reilly.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Second, I think you're candy coating this if you believe you are going to skim off the first few/handful of years and then move that contract for 'cheap'.

All moves go through Jack Eichel just ask Balsma. It’s the jacks old boys club. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Like I said a few times now, I would not have done this contract if I were Botterill.  Snipers have a nasty habit of hitting a brick wall in their early 30's. 

The gamble is that he will continue to produce past 30-31.  Will he?  Who knows, but the Sabres had better hope so or the organization will continue to be terrible.

Keeping ROR wasn't an option.  He purposely blew that up when he told the media that he lost his love for the game while playing for the Sabres.  The locker room was already toxic enough without that.

Edited by SabreFan1

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

All moves go through Jack Eichel just ask Balsma. It’s the jacks old boys club. 

Actually this contract could lose Eichel his best friend in Sam Reinhart after this season.  Not sure how they'll afford Eichel, Dahlin, Skinner, and Reinhart.

17 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Re-read what I've been writing all along.  That's the gamble.  If his play falls off a cliff in the first half of the contract, they're screwed.  If he's still producing at 30-31, someone in the hunt for a cup will take him.

Also, he got 9, not 8.

That number is even worse than I thought...  ^_^

I hear what you are saying but even if he is still producing taking on $9 million with 5 years left will be a huge burden for any team challenging for a cup.  Remember a cup contender will have very little cap space and will be looking for rentals at the deadline.  Skinner with 5 years left won't be a rental.  It's not so much the actual salary as it is the term that is a killer.

If his play does fall off a cliff then you are screwed I'm afraid. 

Just now, MystifyNCrucify said:

Just saying @SabreFan1

im just sayin is all.......

Besides, its not the near future that a huge long term contract has an effect on. Its in probably year 3. 

I dunno im just sayin is all!

I agree with what you're "just sayin'" for the most part.  It's a gamble thsat has an excellent chance at blowing up in the Sabres' faces...

I'm not a fan of that kind of high stakes gamble. 

They had to include year 8 to keep him, but I wouldn't have given him a penny over 7.5 AAV. 

Understanding why the Sabres did what they did and liking it are two different things altogether.  I think they will lose Reinhart now and I'm not the least bit happy about that.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

That number is even worse than I thought...  ^_^

I hear what you are saying but even if he is still producing taking on $9 million with 5 years left will be a huge burden for any team challenging for a cup.  Remember a cup contender will have very little cap space and will be looking for rentals at the deadline.  Skinner with 5 years left won't be a rental.  It's not so much the actual salary as it is the term that is a killer.

If his play does fall off a cliff then you are screwed I'm afraid. 

I agree whole-heartedly.  They'll have to find a team on the rise with cap-space to take on the last 4 or 5 years of that contract.  That's easier said than done and all bets are off if he's not still putting up goals in bunches.

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I agree with what you're "just sayin'" for the most part.  It's a gamble thsat has an excellent chance at blowing up in the Sabres' faces...

I'm not a fan of that kind of high stakes gamble. 

They had to include year 8 to keep him, but I wouldn't have given him a penny over 7.5 AAV. 

Understanding why the Sabres did what they did and liking it are two different things altogether.  I think they will lose Reinhart now and I'm not the least bit happy about that.

I get you. 

These high risk signings just scream desperation to me. 

Kinda like a poker player going all in on pocket deuces, with someone elses cash. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Holy! I forgot Buffalo is still on the hook for Hodgson until 2023. I guess insurance covers that. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

That 800k/year makes me chuckle and curse Darcy Regier all at the same time...  :lol:

I don't care about the cash, it's the fact that it goes against the cap that is annoying.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

That 800k/year makes me chuckle and curse Darcy Regier all at the same time...  :lol:

I don't care about the cash, it's the fact that it goes against the cap that is annoying.

Be glad its not like the luongo situation where vancouver gets shafted for cap, while the other team plays him. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, MystifyNCrucify said:

I get you. 

These high risk signings just scream desperation to me. 

Kinda like a poker player going all in on pocket deuces, with someone elses cash. 

It's the new benchmark poster-signing for desperation.  The Sabres have been bleeding talent.  This signing takes them out of the free agent market and could very possibly lose them Sam Reinhart.  I'm ok with being out of the free agent market, but I'm going to be angry if we lose Reinhart after this season like I suspect that we will.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's the new benchmark poster-signing for desperation.  The Sabres have been bleeding talent.  This signing takes them out of the free agent market and could very possibly lose them Sam Reinhart.  I'm ok with being out of the free agent market, but I'm going to be angry if we lose Reinhart after this season like I suspect that we will.

Desperate? Have we got a deal for you. Loui Eriksson and.... >click< hello? Hello? 

• Haha 1