The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case for Max Term Deals

Rate this topic

Provost

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boeser hadn't remotely earned that kind of money and that kind of term.  That would be setting a ridiculous standard for future contracts, Petey included.

I agree.  Unfortunately it’s not Benning that’s gone ahead and set the bar at ridiculous new heights, it’s already happening and has been since McDavids deal...and Eichels...and AM (getting paid like a top five center and so far hasn’t managed to score much more than EP did last year) and Nylander .. and Tarasenkos even and that’s three years old now.   It’s annoying that Benning and fans have had to endure a new set of draft rules that have boned us each time, and now when the new core players are ready to get signed we also have to endure inflation...RFAs are now getting paid like UFAs, like it or not.    

It sucks for us as that’s when a window in the cap era opens as there should be extra money available to sign a few high end UFAs to plug holes (Hossa in CHI, Kessel in PIT for example).   

Maybe GMs need to have a secret meeting and get some solidarity over this boffo crop of RFAs up for a contract and low ball them collectively back to how things were for decades.  AHO, Rantanen, Point, Marner, Boeser and on and on...we can expect Marner NOT a to take a discount just to help TO, nobody else has so far.  

From what GMs are saying they are in a holding pattern to see what others are getting paid so I expect a long summer...unless TO comes out first with Marner and one other comes quickly after then I can see it snowballing fast.  

From what the experts are saying Boesers contract will be something like 7.25 x 7.   

11 hours ago, mephnick said:

The Leafs made a huge f---up with Matthews contract. They paid him max and only locked him up for 5 years to the start of his UFA

So, you paid max? Without buying any UFA years? So the next contract (safely assuming Matthews is still awesome in his prime) is either going to cost you a billion dollars or he's going to walk? When you have a guy like that, you buy the 8 years, because year 5-8 are going to be a steal when the average salary keeps rising.

Dubas really baffled me with that one.

To be fair I remember on 650 they said that Matthews camp was unwilling to give 8 years because they knew his worth wouldn’t be the same due to inflation of the cap. They also said that because of this, other players will also follow suit.

By all means if a player has that much faith in himself, good for him.

18 hours ago, Provost said:

With one of the smallest front offices in the league and theybwya they have managed thing in the past... no Infont think they are aware, at least beyond a general knowledge of the cap going up.

I don’t have confidence that he will be doing deep analysis of what this will mean for his roster construction and how he plans on structuring contracts.

Agrnts have certainly mapped this out in precise detail with full future modelling.

No offense but I think this is a case of fans thinking they somehow know more about basic concepts related to running a Nhl team than executives that are paid millions and have years upon years of experience do. Executives in every Nhl team are aware of the cap going up and why. They probably have the projections long before the Nhl releases them or the public has them based off of rev sharing and other revenue analysis and this situation is no different.  

What has Benning done the the past that makes you think hes so inept?  

Edited by BI3KSA-
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BI3KSA- said:

No offense but I think this is a case of fans thinking they somehow know more about basic concepts related to running a Nhl team than executives that are paid millions and have years upon years of experience do. Executives in every Nhl team are aware of the cap going up and why. They probably have the projections long before the Nhl releases them or the public has them based off of rev sharing and other revenue analysis and this situation is no different.  

What has Benning done the the past that makes you think hes so inept?  

Personally I think he’s done a tremendous job of staggering contracts and making sure the team will have money when we need it, including the awful LE contract...and I’m not the only one.  Recently THN did a free agent issue and looked at each teams cap situation, and said some very nice things about the job Bennings done to make sure we will have to money to both sign our RFA stars and have something leftover for later on to plug holes with free agents...sometimes i wonder how much time fans spend looking around at other teams and the precarious trouble they’ve put themselves in with bad signings.   So far Bennings had to pay a premium for place holders, but not much and they will all be gone by the time we need the cap...all the while adding a veteran presence that a young team needs.  Of course he could go out and ruin that but until he does needn’t worry about it...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, EoH said:

To be fair I remember on 650 they said that Matthews camp was unwilling to give 8 years because they knew his worth wouldn’t be the same due to inflation of the cap. They also said that because of this, other players will also follow suit.

By all means if a player has that much faith in himself, good for him.

That said Dubas hasn’t done himself any favours...he paid enough to buy all his UFA years IMO.   Mathews was the big winner in that deal...just like Nylander was with his.

On June 9, 2019 at 7:12 AM, Provost said:

With one of the smallest front offices in the league and theybwya they have managed thing in the past... no Infont think they are aware, at least beyond a general knowledge of the cap going up.

I don’t have confidence that he will be doing deep analysis of what this will mean for his roster construction and how he plans on structuring contracts.

Agrnts have certainly mapped this out in precise detail with full future modelling.

Pretty sure that you are projecting when you assume that JB is too incompetent to be aware of the obvious. He has done nothing to indicate that he is as stupid as you choose to believe.