The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Single use plastic ban coming in 2021

inane

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Bring a reusable metal straw seems to be the common answer.... doesn't seem realistic though.

The cardboard straws at a&w suck to use, even though I appreciate their efforts

Good ploy for Trudeau to drum up progressive support before the election.. grasping at straws

Now that's punny.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Bring a reusable metal straw seems to be the common answer.... doesn't seem realistic though.

Good ploy for Trudeau to drum up progressive support before the election.. grasping at straws

I see what you did there.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Ya the cardboard straws are not a good alternative, I would almost rather say goodbye to the sea turtles than have to drink my root beer through a soggy piece of paper for the rest of my life.  

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya the cardboard straws are not a good alternative, I would almost rather say goodbye to the sea turtles than have to drink my root beer through a soggy piece of paper for the rest of my life.  

there is a lot we use that is (has components that are) single us plastic.  How does one determine what single use is anyway?  Plastic bags from grocery stores can be used to donate clothes, or as garbage bags.  That's more than one use, no?

What about ball point pens?  They are mostly plastic, and are single use.

What other items are there, that pretty boy's idea will effect?

Honestly this should be happening sooner but later is better than never.

Frankly I'd be happy if petroleum based plastics were outlawed for most things, particularly food packaging. Paper, metal, glass or biodegradable and renewable 'bio-plastics'. Git'er done.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

there is a lot we use that is (has components that are) single us plastic.  How does one determine what single use is anyway?  Plastic bags from grocery stores can be used to donate clothes, or as garbage bags.  That's more than one use, no?

What about ball point pens?  They are mostly plastic, and are single use.

What other items are there, that pretty boy's idea will effect?

alf you're the king of asking stupid questions that can be easily googled while feigning ignorance. it's a real niche you've developed. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, inane said:

alf you're the king of asking stupid questions that can be easily googled while feigning ignorance. it's a real niche you've developed. 

Thanks for the compliment, I think.  :towel:

Actually, I am being serious with the question. At least I hope I am.  Okay now you got me thinking, and it hurts. :picard: 

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Straws are for toddlers or invalids.

My first few weeks bartending when I was younger my bar manager would always say the same thing.  They want a straw, they can put one in themselves, they're not children and can drink it like an adult.

He then proceeded to pour me a nice stiff scotch and said drink that through a straw and tell me you ever want to do it again.

Never gave a single person another straw after that

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My first few weeks bartending when I was younger my bar manager would always say the same thing.  They want a straw, they can put one in themselves, they're not children and can drink it like an adult.

He then proceeded to pour me a nice stiff scotch and said drink that through a straw and tell me you ever want to do it again.

Never gave a single person another straw after that

My daughter just makes a mess with a straw so we don't let her use them anymore. She's 3 and can drink from a cup just fine. She had to wear her drink a few times before she learned but it was fast.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1