The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Single use plastic ban coming in 2021

inane

54 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

4 more years of Trudeau and Canada will be going out of business. 

:huh:

https://www.bdc.ca/en/blog/pages/2019-economic-outlook-canada-in-good-place.aspx

2019 economic outlook: Canada is in a good place

As an eventful year for international trade draws to a close, Canadian entrepreneurs are well positioned to take advantage of strong global growth.

Pierre Cléroux, Vice President, Research and Chief Economist
By Pierre Cléroux, Vice President, Research and Chief Economist

It has been mostly good news for Canada’s economy this year, and that gives consumers and business people something to celebrate.

All estimates point to a 2.1% economic growth for the Canadian economy for :2018, a bit slower pace than the 3% growth in the previous year. In the view of the Bank of Canada, this leaves us right where we should be, and it has led the Bank to raise its key interest rate in recent months to its current 1.75%.

Economic expansion remains broad-based, with investment and exports picking up steam. So far, exports are up 2% compared with a year ago. While services and goods exports have grown, the latter haven’t kept up with foreign demand.

Economic expansion remains broad-based, with investment and exports picking up steam.

What it all means: It’s a great opportunity for Canadian businesses to sell more abroad, diversify their markets and push forward the economy as a whole.

Employment keeps rising

It also means more jobs. Canadian jobs grew by 219,000 jobs over the last twelve months, the majority in full-time positions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.bdc.ca/en/blog/pages/2019-economic-outlook-canada-in-good-place.aspx

As an eventful year for international trade draws to a close, Canadian entrepreneurs are well positioned to take advantage of strong global growth.

It has been mostly good news for Canada’s economy this year, and that gives consumers and business people something to celebrate.

All estimates point to a 2.1% economic growth for the Canadian economy for :2018, a bit slower pace than the 3% growth in the previous year. In the view of the Bank of Canada, this leaves us right where we should be, and it has led the Bank to raise its key interest rate in recent months to its current 1.75%.

Economic expansion remains broad-based, with investment and exports picking up steam. So far, exports are up 2% compared with a year ago. While services and goods exports have grown, the latter haven’t kept up with foreign demand.

Economic expansion remains broad-based, with investment and exports picking up steam.

What it all means: It’s a great opportunity for Canadian businesses to sell more abroad, diversify their markets and push forward the economy as a whole.

Employment keeps rising

It also means more jobs. Canadian jobs grew by 219,000 jobs over the last twelve months, the majority in full-time positions.

sorry for the further derailing from the plastic issue but I can't help it. @Ryan Strome you can't even call Trudeau a tax and spend liberal anymore :lol:

Is Trudeau a 'tax-and-spend' Liberal? The numbers say no

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-taxes-harper-budget-1.5164976

As always, these threads digress.

Recycling and composting has been a big deal to me for years. I typically have more compost in my organic bin than garbage in regular bin. Plus we easily fill a blue bag in a week. Yet plenty of times my bag was left because I had 'contaminated' it with a plastic lid or clam shell. Then they stopped taking glass. Then I start finding articles saying that most of my recycling ends up in a landfill because there are no programs to recycle it. It makes me really unhappy that you think you are doing something to help reduce the amount of trash yet it ends up in garbage mountain anyways.

Edited by RonMexico
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

4 more years of Trudeau and Canada will be going out of business. 

I figured you would've said you'd wish Pierre had used a single use 'rubber'one night a number of decades ago.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

As always, these threads digress.

Recycling and composting has been a big deal to me for years. I typically have more compost in my organic bin than garbage in regular bin. Plus we easily fill a blue bag in a week. Yet plenty of times my bag was left because I had 'contaminated' it with a plastic lid or clam shell. Then they stopped taking glass. Then I start finding articles saying that most of my recycling ends up in a landfill because there are no programs to recycle it. It makes me really unhappy that you think you are doing something to help reduce the amount of trash yet it ends up in garbage mountain anyways.

I am able to recycle most everything at the depot here in PR. That being said, there is one thing that a lot of people don't seem to realize:

If you put dirty containers (Plastic, milk cartons, glass, etc) it will "contaminate" the entire batch, which will end up in the landfill. If you truly care about recycling, rinse/clean plastic containers, glass, cans and styrofoam containers before you take them to the recycle depot.

Don't bother trying to recycle pizza boxes. The grease soaks into the cardboard. Best bet is to burn it, next time you have a backyard cookout.

• Upvote 1

All joking aside, plastic is a real threat to the environment and is rapidly invading our oceans, land and in the air.  Scientists have discovered plastic in fish and sea dwelling animals and more recently, particles have been found in samples of human feces.

People need to accept that many sacrifices and huge changes have to be made in order to turn this mess around.  This is a world problem and dumping loads of plastic in 3rd world countries is not the answer.  Banning single use plastic is a start, but we need to vastly reduce the usage of all plastic and develop proper recycling facilities that can deal with the more necessary applications.  It will cost +++ $ and growing pains, but it has to be done...worldwide. 

https://owlcation.com/stem/Microplastics-in-the-Human-Body-and-Potential-Health-Effects

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Another "feel good" pledge which doesn't really make that big of an impact globally.

Most of the plastics are actually coming from Asia (mostly China).  Just for perspective... the US contributes like 1/20th of what China outputs.  Canada an even smaller fraction of that.  

Image result for plastic pollution by country

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, inane said:

and?

This whole 'other people do it so why don't we' line of thinking is so lazy. Race to the bottom.

The rest of the world pretty much wants to live in the Lower Mainland and Southern Vancouver Island.  It's because we do try to reduce, recycle, and reuse.  We do care about keeping our local environment clean.  Maybe one way to lower house prices here is to go all in on making it an ugly mess like much of the rest of the world?  (Dumb enough question for you?:P)

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I am able to recycle most everything at the depot here in PR. That being said, there is one thing that a lot of people don't seem to realize:

If you put dirty containers (Plastic, milk cartons, glass, etc) it will "contaminate" the entire batch, which will end up in the landfill. If you truly care about recycling, rinse/clean plastic containers, glass, cans and styrofoam containers before you take them to the recycle depot.

Don't bother trying to recycle pizza boxes. The grease soaks into the cardboard. Best bet is to burn it, next time you have a backyard cookout.

I rinse everything religiously. Pizza boxes are acceptable in the compost here.

• Cheers 1

I got sick of using paper cups at fast food places... I bring one of these along with me now to everywhere i go....

il_340x270.1902090069_3gg5.jpg?version=0

My family and I like to take these into Burger king and pretend we are better than everyone else...

ae4e4a623f160c2559dd29d9782bf75a.jpg

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That depends on the recycling outfit.  I used to be pretty fanatic about cleaning everything we recycle, but a couple years back our recycling company communicated that we no longer had to clean anything... pizza boxes, peanut butter jars, plastic wrappers, take out boxes... nothing.  I still do some cleaning sometimes, cuz of smells and don't want to attract pests, but for the most part I take the easy way out and save on time and water.

I was blown away how different recycling was down here compared to Vancouver.  Then I went to Japan, and was further shocked how much more progress was still possible. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Employment keeps rising

Wow so many lefties oblivious to debt. Conveniently all the European countries faced with massive debt and massive cuts were run by far left governments.

• Upvote 2