The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is no credible evidence that Taiwan possess nuclear weapons.

No there isn't. I am assuming that with the threat that the CCP is too Taiwan that they would have accessed sources in either Pakistan or the Ukraine. Did the Norks develop their own weapons? Did Israel? Did Iran? Does Japan and South Korea have access to, at a minimum, tactical nukes? The world stood by as Hong Kong went under and I doubt the Taiwanese would expect better.  

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is no credible evidence that Taiwan possess nuclear weapons.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

No there isn't. I am assuming that with the threat that the CCP is too Taiwan that they would have accessed sources in either Pakistan or the Ukraine. Did the Norks develop their own weapons? Did Israel? Did Iran? Does Japan and South Korea have access to, at a minimum, tactical nukes? The world stood by as Hong Kong went under and I doubt the Taiwanese would expect better.  

They were developing them back in the days, but were told by the CCP that having nukes would a pre-text to an invasion.  

The US said they will honour all defensive pact as long as Taiwan doesn't have nuclear weapons, thus Taiwan ended their program.  

The US has to honour their alliance with Taiwan, if not, it would easily mean the end of NATO, ANZUS, Japan-US alliance, etc.  I mean, a supposed ally that can suddenly leave you hanging, no country would rely on that anymore.  Plus it would probably be the proliferation of nuclear weapons too.  If South Korea and Japan feels that the US can just abandon them whenever they feel like it, they'll start developing nukes themselves.  Japan is considered as a "turn-key" nuclear power.... meaning they just need to actually put the pieces together as they already have the material, the expertise and financial resources to do make such weapons.  South Korea is pretty much in a similar scenario.  

• Thanks 1

Zheng Yanxiong: China appoints hard-line Hong Kong security chief

• 9 hours ago
Zheng Yanxiong (L) in Wukan in 2011

Image caption In 2011 Mr Zheng (far left) accused protesters in mainland China of being too close to foreign media

China has appointed a hard-line figure as head of its new security agency in Hong Kong.

Zheng Yanxiong is best known for his role in dealing with a protest over a land dispute in the southern Chinese village of Wukan.

The new agency, answering directly to Beijing, is being set up to enforce a draconian security law passed this week in Hong Kong.

Opponents of the law say it erodes the territory's freedoms.

The law targets secession, subversion and terrorism with punishments of up to life in prison.

Several leading pro-democracy activists have stepped down from their roles and one of them, one-time student leader and local legislator Nathan Law, has fled the territory.

Separately, one of 10 people arrested using the new law during protests on Wednesday has become the first to be charged under it. Hundreds were detained during the clashes.

The motorcyclist, accused of riding into a group of police while carrying a flag calling for the liberation of Hong Kong, was charged with inciting secession and terrorism.

more in the link

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53275405

Edited by nuckin_futz

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They were developing them back in the days, but were told by the CCP that having nukes would a pre-text to an invasion.  

The US said they will honour all defensive pact as long as Taiwan doesn't have nuclear weapons, thus Taiwan ended their program.  

The US has to honour their alliance with Taiwan, if not, it would easily mean the end of NATO, ANZUS, Japan-US alliance, etc.  I mean, a supposed ally that can suddenly leave you hanging, no country would rely on that anymore.  Plus it would probably be the proliferation of nuclear weapons too.  If South Korea and Japan feels that the US can just abandon them whenever they feel like it, they'll start developing nukes themselves.  Japan is considered as a "turn-key" nuclear power.... meaning they just need to actually put the pieces together as they already have the material, the expertise and financial resources to do make such weapons.  South Korea is pretty much in a similar scenario.  

I don't think there are USA troops in Taiwan. No way I would think Taiwan would put all their hopes on their allies standing with them. CCP gets troops on the ground in Taiwan and it is all over. The USA won't be sending troops it would be too late. The Covid crisis should be an eye opener as each country took care of their own.  

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think there are USA troops in Taiwan. No way I would think Taiwan would put all their hopes on their allies standing with them. CCP gets troops on the ground in Taiwan and it is all over. The USA won't be sending troops it would be too late. The Covid crisis should be an eye opener as each country took care of their own.  

It's no longer literally a defensive pact like what they have with NATO or Japan, but it has a lot of wiggle room. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Relations_Act

Lots of vague terminologies and stuff.... pretty much the US can do whatever it takes to protect Taiwan.  Sell weapons, shield them, use military force if needed.  With the US 7th Fleet operating in the area and Okinawa just right beside Taiwan.... the closest the US can protect the ROC without outright declaring an alliance or stationing forces there.  I mean 25% of Okinawa belongs to the US military and the US's largest combat wing (18th Wing) is stations there.  

• Upvote 1

Nice to read.

Let's get a snowball effect going here.... I cannot think of a western country that is happy with China (CCP) right now

https://www.businessinsider.com/german-chancellor-angela-merkel-accused-too-close-to-china-2020-7?r=US&IR=T&utm_source=reddit.com 

Merkel is under pressure to cut Germany's ties with China as the Hong Kong crisis triggers a European backlash against Beijing 

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Perhaps, but my original concern remains: at what cost will the West be willing to hold the CCP accountable?  Empty words and minor actions won't cut it.  However, nobody in the West wants to evoke warfare (and the CCP knows this), and that's likely what it's going to take in order to bring down the CCP.

Whatever causes HK's economic success with it's special status needs to be shut down by western allies due to the new situation while allowing any HK citizen that wants to move to a designated group of desirable countries. economic warfare is the only weapon I see anyone using. 

Australian's warned they face a risk of arbitrary arrest in Hong Kong

Thu 9 Jul 2020 02:10:02 GMT

Australia government advises Australian citizens in Hong Kong to reconsider need to remain there given new security law

• says citizens may be at increased risk of detention on vaguely defined national security grounds
  • Australian government advises citizens not to travel to Hong Kong

Australian PM Morrison confirms will offer Hong Kong visas

Thu 9 Jul 2020 03:12:01 GMT

Says is suspending the country's extradition treaty with HK

• will be extending visas by five years for skilled and graduate visa holders
  • offering a pathway to permanent Australian residency 
  • looking at fresh incentives to attract export-oriented HK firms to relocate to Australia 
 Australia moves are in response to China's new security law

Earlier:
This will not make China happy, expect retaliation in the form of trade moves. 

Seen lots of headlines like this recently. War of words between Australia and China heating up.

I am thinking Huawei can forget about installing anyone's 5G network.

7 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The other side of this is backing China against a wall economically through trade restrictions may be a dangerous scenario... you know the whole a cornered animal is a dangerous animal thing

Well.... if everyone is mad at you, it's a hint that you did something wrong and need to self-reflect to figure it out and to make amends.  

If you start lashing out, doubling down that everybody else is the problem and willing to use threats.... that would automatically mean you're irrational and/or a piece of excrement.  

China is doing the latter.  

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this thread was the best place for this.. Anybody up to date on the Houston Chinese Consulate situation? USA ordered the Chinese to close the Houston Consulate due to theft and spying accusations a couple of days ago. Yesterday the consulate was burning documents, which is standard if they are to close the consulate to my understanding. Basically tensions are escalating between the two nations

https://abc13.com/fire-chinese-consulate-documents-being-burned-houston-us-and-china-tensions/6328284/

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Figured this thread was the best place for this.. Anybody up to date on the Houston Chinese Consulate situation? USA ordered the Chinese to close the Houston Consulate due to theft and spying accusations a couple of days ago. Yesterday the consulate was burning documents, which is standard if they are to close the consulate to my understanding. Basically tensions are escalating between the two nations

https://abc13.com/fire-chinese-consulate-documents-being-burned-houston-us-and-china-tensions/6328284/

Pompeo is due to ratchet things up in a speech after the market close.

US' Pompeo to speak about China later in the day

Thu 23 Jul 2020 11:49:01 GMT

US secretary of state Mike Pompeo is to speak about China later today

He is scheduled to speak at 2000 GMT.

The administration needs a punching bag going into the election. Their attacks on Biden haven't been sticking so China will do.

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

So.... proroguing parliament has potentially ended the committee that is probing China.... 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-prorogation-halts-we-charity-hearings-potentially-ends-china-probe-by/

Hypocrisy abound these days

Before taking power, Mr. Trudeau campaigned against using prorogation to avoid tough questions. “Stephen Harper has used prorogation to avoid difficult political circumstances. We will not,” the Liberal Party’s 2015 list of campaign promises said. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Hypocrisy abound these days

Before taking power, Mr. Trudeau campaigned against using prorogation to avoid tough questions. “Stephen Harper has used prorogation to avoid difficult political circumstances. We will not,” the Liberal Party’s 2015 list of campaign promises said. 

Better left on a different thread, but the point is valid.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Today, they drop the prosecution of animal cruelty suspects where the evidence is overwhelming enough to convict.  Tomorrow, who's to say they won't drop the prosecution of law enforcement or national security agents who are caught red-handed defenestrating political undesirables from the 34th floor of housing estates?

Hide contents

:sadno:

"Department of Justice" ... laughable... there is no justice with the CCP

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...