The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So at least we know where our anti-Semites and anti-Sino base is rooted on CDC.    For a guy who apparently lives in, and rules over, a dangerous gang-infested part of Canada, your halo seems to be on pretty tight.   

Anti-Israel does not make one anti-semite, neither does being against the PRC makes one anti-Sinitic. 

11 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Anti-Israel does not make one anti-semite, neither does being against the PRC makes one anti-Sinitic. 

please indicate what it then makes one when you condemn an entire nation?

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

It makes you anti-<insert nation>. Being anti-Nazis didn't make one anti-German, did it ? 

Uh, it kinda did if you understand history whatsoever.    Further, you have it backwards.    If he was saying he was anti-Germany he would be implying what in your world?  That he loved Germans but not Germany?

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, it kinda did if you understand history whatsoever. 

No, it didn't. The US is chock-full of German immigrants and people with German last names served in both the wars against Germany. 

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Further, you have it backwards.    If he was saying he was anti-Germany he would be implying what in your world?  That he loved Germans but not Germany?

He would be saying that his issue is with the state of Germany, not its people. Germany is a state, a socio-political construct, not people. Same goes for any other nation. We have the full moral authority to hate or love a nation-state for its policies, for its actions and for its institutions. We do not when it comes to the people of the said nations carte blanche. 

43 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

No, it didn't. The US is chock-full of German immigrants and people with German last names served in both the wars against Germany. 

He would be saying that his issue is with the state of Germany, not its people. Germany is a state, a socio-political construct, not people. Same goes for any other nation. We have the full moral authority to hate or love a nation-state for its policies, for its actions and for its institutions. We do not when it comes to the people of the said nations carte blanche. 

so  you can write off an entire country and yet not have any issue with the people in that country?   so it is a hate of cetain geography.  interesting.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So at least we know where our anti-Semites and anti-Sino base is rooted on CDC.    For a guy who apparently lives in, and rules over, a dangerous gang-infested part of Canada, your halo seems to be on pretty tight.   

You are just coming to the fact that kos is a racist and anti semite?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

so  you can write off an entire country and yet not have any issue with the people in that country?   so it is a hate of cetain geography.  interesting.

It is hate of a certain institutional apparatus. Don't pretend it means anything else. 

Or do you really think that Americans hated Germans, including the tens of thousands with German last names who fought for them in WWI and WWII because they hated Germany ?

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

And somehow he has an apologist as well.....

I am not apologizing for whether he is a racist or anti-semite ( same thing btw), i am pointing out that saying 'I hate XYZ country' doesn't make one a racist. We are allowed to hate institutions represented by said country without hating them, just like your aversion of the points re: hatred towards Nazi germany but not towards the Germans in US military is proving. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't want to financially  support countries that don't respect basic human rights.....    Does that make me a bad person ?

PS - i am not anti semite.  I just do not want support the country of Israel.   I have lots of both Jewish and Chinese  friends in Canada. 

My issue is with the government policies... not their individual  citizens that may agree or disagree with their policy. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

9 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Um sure, but that is largely an irrelevant point because war crimes are determined, at least by modern standards, by the # of innocents/civillians killed. Soldiers who have been drafted or volunteer for the job are fair game to slaughter in warfare. civillians are not. This is where the American standard line defense of the nukes being 'more lives were saved this way' is problematic. You can't just kidnap and slowly mutilate a civillian population and go 'see, this slow mutilation and wails of 50,000 innocent civillians got the two armies of 2 million each to stop killing each other, more lives were saved'. One can argue that the UN convention was not in place during that time, so America gets a free pass, which would be true, but it still makes the 'more lives were saved this way' a null and void argument. 

Just like tens of thousands of civilians died in Okinawa, millions more would have died if invasion of Japan took place.

It would be impossible to sort out civilians vs. soldiers in an urban battle.

Same thing happened as Soviets went from house to house in Berlin in 1945.

Buildings, railways, infrastructure, factories etc. would become targets of bombing.

During operation meetinghouse in 1945, 100 000 civilians died in Tokyo as a result of firebombing.

The more war dragged on, more Japanese civilians would have been killed.

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Just like tens of thousands of civilians died in Okinawa, millions more would have died if invasion of Japan took place.

It would be impossible to sort out civilians vs. soldiers in an urban battle.

It wasn't in Europe. It wasn't in Africa. You hold a weapon = you are not civillian. Pretty simple. 

Same thing happened as Soviets went from house to house in Berlin in 1945.

Buildings, railways, infrastructure, factories etc. would become targets of bombing.

Buildings, railways and infrastructure is fair game. Residential dwellings, schools and hospitals are not. 

During operation meetinghouse in 1945, 100 000 civilians died in Tokyo as a result of firebombing.

The more war dragged on, more Japanese civilians would have been killed.

It is not a justification on deliberate killing of civillians, i have already explained this. 

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

It wasn't in Europe. It wasn't in Africa. You hold a weapon = you are not civillian. Pretty simple. 

Buildings, railways and infrastructure is fair game. Residential dwellings, schools and hospitals are not. 

It is not a justification on deliberate killing of civillians, i have already explained this. 

That's a tough one because now you're starving innocent people potentially. Targeted strikes and hope you don't cut off important human life lines I guess.

Edited by Ryan Strome

8 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

You ever heard of soldiers using civilians as a shield?

Or firing from a house full of civilians, what happens then?

You have never been involved in street combat surrounded with civilians, hard to relate.

Edited by CBH1926

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

You ever heard of soldiers using civilians as a shield?

Or firing from a house full of civilians, what happens then?

You have never been involved in street combat surrounded with civilians, hard to relate.

Again, obfuscation. 
How many German civillians were killed during the invasion of Germany ? Same applies here. US wanted to save its own soldiers and nuked Japanese civillians in the process. It was morally wrong and if the situation is reversed in future, the same Yanks would cry bloody murder. 

Right now the legal system in Hong Kong serve as a fire wall to China.   The extradition bill , if passed.  Chinese government can basically ask Hongkong to hand over anybody.  This bill sets a very bad precedent in HongKong.   There should be a lot of people looking to immigrate to Canada from HongKong if this bill passes.