The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

I like the sounds of JB's thinking. We have spent a few years building the foundation for this team and now its time to do some fine tuning. He has inserted "Plugs" in the past to fill the roster and now its time to fill these spots with legit NHLers. The time clock is now ticking for our young guys and we do not need to waste it thinking we need to spend a few more years rebuilding.

We have a good foundation of goalies and have some good young core players with a couple of good veterans who can play. I see the process of filling in certain positions now while the new guys learn how to play in the NHL and playoffs.

With a good core and some Cap space, I see this team finally adding key pieces to the puzzle and giving our young guys some quality time in the playoffs. Good times are ahead.::D

Edited by EdgarM
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I can live with Lucic for Eriksson if Edmonton adds enough. His NMC is a huge problem. If he waives it for us, an additional 2nd could work. If he won't, I'd want a very substantial return.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JamesB said:

It sounds to me like Lucic probably will be coming to Vancouver. Like most of the media, I think a one-for-one trade would be a terrible trade for Vancouver but a good enough "sweetener" could make it worthwhile, provided Lucic agrees that he will give up his NMC if he comes to Vancouver. Yes, he would have to waive to be traded to Vancouver but then Vancouver would be bound by the NMC unless he waives again. I would insist on that second waiver before taking him in trade.

Not necessarily.

According to CapFriendly:

• The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The interview I hear was he won't trade young players for picks - which makes sense. Given most teams want our young players as they are of value, not the vets, perhaps chill a bit bro vs attacking the guy. You need someone to want our castoffs, and right now I'm guessing few do. When they will be of value (vets) is at the deadline if they are actually healthy (Tanev, Sutter)

On Lucic, I'm warming to the idea if Erickson is going the other way and we're getting some sweetners thrown in. As someone else mentioned in another thread, seeing a trade like this makes Lucic palatable

Lucic (waives NMC for expansion), 8th, and their 2nd rounder

For

Erickson, #10, Goldobin

Lucic while slow is a deterrent, and in all reality we need one. Park him in front of the net on PP2 and he's makes it stronger. He could even help Jake learn how to play his role better. Erickson can play but is entirely replaceable and therefore useless. Lucic at least adds the deterrent we lack and need.

I have gone into Lucic extensively in the other threads so won't do that further than saying that there is almost no way that we should consider trading for him.  Certainly not for the deal you list there where we get a marginal bump in draft pic and a second while giving up a young NHL player from a position we are very weak at.  Goldy isn't great but still has potential.

It scares me that Benning seems to want to make waves this year for the reasons I mentioned above, he just isn't very good with pro scouting and evaluation. 

As you noted our tradeable assets need some time healthy and so would for the most part make sense trading in season.

This is what makes me concerned, a GM who is not good at pro-scouting, desperate to rebuild the team while looking for a contract extension.  He wants beyond all sense to make the playoffs next year and will likely make some very ill conceived deals to get there. 

Boy I hope he proves me wrong.  Admittedly last year was a pretty good year for him.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The interview I hear was he won't trade young players for picks - which makes sense. Given most teams want our young players as they are of value, not the vets, perhaps chill a bit bro vs attacking the guy. You need someone to want our castoffs, and right now I'm guessing few do. When they will be of value (vets) is at the deadline if they are actually healthy (Tanev, Sutter)

On Lucic, I'm warming to the idea if Erickson is going the other way and we're getting some sweetners thrown in. As someone else mentioned in another thread, seeing a trade like this makes Lucic palatable

Lucic (waives NMC for expansion), 8th, and their 2nd rounder

For

Erickson, #10, Goldobin

Lucic while slow is a deterrent, and in all reality we need one. Park him in front of the net on PP2 and he's makes it stronger. He could even help Jake learn how to play his role better. Erickson can play but is entirely replaceable and therefore useless. Lucic at least adds the deterrent we lack and need.

I am warming up to it as well. We have had the team toughness problem for years and it definitely needs to change with Hughes coming in. I don't want to see what happened to Petey last year happen to him as well. 

It does take more then 1 player and I am hoping he can help out Jake and Roussel make us tougher to play against.

Ericksson is basically useless to us as we have many players who can do what he does. Maybe he does just need new scenery and a fresh start as does Lucic.

The sweetener will be needed though to cover the extra year on Lucic's contract.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I have gone into Lucic extensively in the other threads so won't do that further than saying that there is almost no way that we should consider trading for him.  Certainly not for the deal you list there where we get a marginal bump in draft pic and a second while giving up a young NHL player from a position we are very weak at.  Goldy isn't great but still has potential.

It scares me that Benning seems to want to make waves this year for the reasons I mentioned above, he just isn't very good with pro scouting and evaluation. 

As you noted our tradeable assets need some time healthy and so would for the most part make sense trading in season.

This is what makes me concerned, a GM who is not good at pro-scouting, desperate to rebuild the team while looking for a contract extension.  He wants beyond all sense to make the playoffs next year and will likely make some very ill conceived deals to get there. 

Boy I hope he proves me wrong.  Admittedly last year was a pretty good year for him.

I missed the addition of poolparty and I was quoting someone else;s idea. I would do that trade if Pooly was included

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I see making the playoffs next year as a natural progression to the development of our young guys. With teams like Vegas and St. Louis making it to the finals, I am not convinced we need to sit and develop the "perfect" team ,such as TB, before we start thinking playoffs.

I see waiting for this "perfect" time just as silly as the "tanking" philosophy.

If you have the right kind of "character" players on your team, anything can happen.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Okay but now you are likely going to lose him in the expansion draft or someone better.

I don't agree (assuming that NMC is removed which it can be)

Bo

Boeser

Petey

Guadette

Jake

Pullijarvi

Still have room for Baer or someone else

Juolevi

Stecher

Tanev?

Demko

I think you've overestimated our talent lol

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I can live with Lucic for Eriksson if Edmonton adds enough. His NMC is a huge problem. If he waives it for us, an additional 2nd could work. If he won't, I'd want a very substantial return.

If he won't, I'd say the deal is a no-go. That could end up being the difference between losing a Virtanen/Gaudette and something of substantially lesser value to us.

With the recent news of Krebs injury, an 8 for 10 swap looks more appealing.

54 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

On point 5, that is the most infuriating thing about Benning is that he plays to his weakness.

Pic, no I am good at drafting, I don't want pics.  My pro scouting is lousy though so throw me a mediocre player and I will be thrilled and call him foundational.

There is legit players that will be on the block this draft.  Getting a player that can step into a key position now for a decent length of time is Okay by me.  

JB would be stupid to not have his options open. Teams around him in the draft order are actively shopping their pick, so JB is going to get calls.  

People put way too much emphasis on these media scrums.  JB and every other GM aren't really going to go beyond their talking points.  JB learned that with the Subban incident.  

• Cheers 3

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I see making the playoffs next year as a natural progression to the development of our young guys. With teams like Vegas and St. Louis making it to the finals, I am not convinced we need to sit and develop the "perfect" team ,such as TB, before we start thinking playoffs.

I see waiting for this "perfect" time just as silly as the "tanking" philosophy.

If you have the right kind of "character" players on your team, anything can happen.

If that is what happens I am thrilled. 

What I am concerned about is Benning, backed into a corner making foolish deals for the short term.

He has had a tendency to give up youth and pics for mediocre pros.  Now that seemed to slow/stop since the Sedins retired but who knows what will happen with him needing a contract extension. 

Trading for Lucic is a foolish deal for the short and long term.

With Erikkson's contract now mostly paid he may be moveable and pretty much any other bad contract in the league is preferable to what you get with Lucic.

• Upvote 1