The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

58 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

The interview I hear was he won't trade young players for picks - which makes sense. Given most teams want our young players as they are of value, not the vets, perhaps chill a bit bro vs attacking the guy. You need someone to want our castoffs, and right now I'm guessing few do. When they will be of value (vets) is at the deadline if they are actually healthy (Tanev, Sutter)

On Lucic, I'm warming to the idea if Erickson is going the other way and we're getting some sweetners thrown in. As someone else mentioned in another thread, seeing a trade like this makes Lucic palatable

Lucic (waives NMC for expansion), 8th, and their 2nd rounder, + Poolparty

For

Erickson, #10, Goldobin

Lucic while slow is a deterrent, and in all reality we need one. Park him in front of the net on PP2 and he's makes it stronger. He could even help Jake learn how to play his role better. Erickson can play but is entirely replaceable and therefore useless. Lucic at least adds the deterrent we lack and need.

I think you're actually not too far off what would probably work for both sides. They won't give up their 2nd rounder as part of that package and on our side, I'd include Baerstchi instead fo Goldobin. The reason for that is, I think Baerstchi is one more concussion away from calling it a career.

Not sure that Edmonton is ready to give up on Puljujarvi though, but a lot depends on whether he has requested trade out of Edmonton.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Examples?   He has traded 2nd round picks twice for what were high end prospects (one a first round pick).    What other examples do you offer?

Very and Baer were wasted second round picks.  We were rebuilding, and needed those picks.

I think JB added seconds in the Sutter and Guddy deals?

• Upvote 2

All this Lucic talk..maybe Jimbo's finally getting cagey, & doesn't want to tip his hand? There are Many sellers..Minny, TO, TBay. He might extract a better deal from 1 or 2 of them, if they think he has higher priorities! Sure, talk up one option, & work diligently on others.

Bottom line is we're one of the lowest teams for cap-outlay, & we've got ownership who'll probably spend, if the right deal is available.

Next 3, 4 wks should be interesting.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Still wouldn't welcome Lucic, which would be a repeat of the Messier disaster.  Will likely become a Seattle fan if Benning allows that classless piece of garbage to disgrace a Canucks jersey.

You do know you win in the playoffs with those types of pos.....I agree he wouldn't be my first choice but if we can add picks it's worth it. We need someone to protect our young guys....rooster is a pest and his rubbed off on jake this pasted season. With Luic in the line up I could see jake making bigger hits and being a even bigger pest and all the other younger guys would have a safe work place

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

You do know you win in the playoffs with those types of pos.....I agree he wouldn't be my first choice but if we can add picks it's worth it. We need someone to protect our young guys....rooster is a pest and his rubbed off on jake this pasted season. With Luic in the line up I could see jake making bigger hits and being a even bigger pest and all the other younger guys would have a safe work place

That;s what people said about Messier. Still would not accept a gutless coward who can't take a clean hit like a man, headshots goalies, spears guys in the balls, utters death threats in the handshake line, and starts fights in nightclubs when the local population make it clear he isn't welcome.  Toughness is good but Lucic has far too many character issues.  No reason to bring in a locker room cancer who's also a terrible hockey player.  We're better off letting Eriksson play out his career in Utica than this.

• Upvote 4

Just now, King Heffy said:

How did our scouting staff do under the idiot Benning replaced?  See a lot of 2nd round success?  Benning was getting fed garbage by incompetent scouts, and he didn't have time to fix the issue his first draft.

I had not thought of things that way.  That’s a good point KH.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks needed EVERYTHING and had very little young talent in different stages of development.   Will agree to disagree as both moves made a lot of sense to me at the time.   One worked, one didn't.   A top four Dman from 50 and 53 in the second round is not a common occurrence (it can happen, but unlikely and neither of those drafts was the draft for those....unless you lucked into Montador in one and Dunn in the other).    I know where your head is at Alf but it is a false narrative for both of those drafts.

I watched a lot of Vince Dunn as a junior, and was hoping we would draft him.  He was skilled, smart, and physical- although small. I would much rather have one Vince Dunn than a Vey and a Baer.  I do appreciate Hefty’s point that JB thought he was better off using his seconds on Vey and Baer than letting the scouts back then pick.   

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That;s what people said about Messier. Still would not accept a gutless coward who can't take a clean hit like a man, headshots goalies, spears guys in the balls, utters death threats in the handshake line, and starts fights in nightclubs when the local population make it clear he isn't welcome.  Toughness is good but Lucic has far too many character issues.  No reason to bring in a locker room cancer who's also a terrible hockey player.  We're better off letting Eriksson play out his career in Utica than this.

I agree on Messier...but Jim does know Luic from his days in Boston and I can't see him willing to bring a cancer into a young Canucks lockeroom. Everything you said can go against the rat in the Boston too and I haven't seen the young guys doing that type of stuff...

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree on Messier...but Jim does know Luic from his days in Boston and I can't see him willing to bring a cancer into a young Canucks lockeroom. Everything you said can go against the rat in the Boston too and I haven't seen the young guys doing that type of stuff...

DeBrusk and McAvoy are both pretty dirty players. As for Lucic, Draisitl's already started spearing guys in the balls thanks to Lucic's "leadership".  Best to just let him stay in Edmonton, where he fits right in with the inbred fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

DeBrusk and McAvoy are both pretty dirty players. As for Lucic, Draisitl's already started spearing guys in the balls thanks to Lucic's "leadership".  Best to just let him stay in Edmonton, where he fits right in with the inbred fans.

I would take both those players if it meant the Canucks finally got a cup...like I said you win with those pos players. Hawks and Kings had a few....We tried the gentleman game(Sedins) we got nothing and our own pos player Kesler was a huge reason why we beat the Preds and went to the final.

• Upvote 2