The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 10 2019 Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

JamesB

23 minutes ago, mpt said:

Facts don’t care about your feelings.

Better than anything Eriksson highlight reel from his time in Vancouver but to be fair, here is a highlight from Eriksson best game this year against Florida

WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?

If we just want a guy who can beat the crap out of people we could go for Ryan Reaves instead without the anchor of a contract. 

I am suprised at the love in for Lucic. The guy is past his prime. This isn't 2011. This would be a huge mistake and we would be helping a division rival in the process.

5 minutes ago, babalu said:

If we just want a guy who can beat the crap out of people we could go for Ryan Reaves instead without the anchor of a contract. 

I am suprised at the love in for Lucic. The guy is past his prime. This isn't 2011. This would be a huge mistake and we would be helping a division rival in the process.

You right about helping the oilers but that's why if you've read most of the posters that are okay with the move expect 8 overall pick to come with him...that way yea your paying 6 million for a goon but you also get a player like Cozens or Dach or Zegras for pretty much the remainder of the contract....

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

On point 5, that is the most infuriating thing about Benning is that he plays to his weakness.

Pic, no I am good at drafting, I don't want pics.  My pro scouting is lousy though so throw me a mediocre player and I will be thrilled and call him foundational.

I agree but it is understandable. Ultimately, your performance as the GM is evaluated on the team's success. It doesn't matter to him if he drafts second Datsyuk, Bure, and Zetterberg in 5th, 6th, and 7th round, only to join the team 3-4 years later when he is no longer the GM of the Canucks.

He is in the final year of the contract, so I'm not surprised about it.

As for potential Eriksson trade, if the sweetener is like Puljujarvi, it would be worth taking on Lucic's contract. I wouldn't be happy if the sweetener is just their first with our first pick going the other way but maybe JB thinks a player that can help the team now is available at 8th overall? Although, I wonder if Loui will waive his NTC to go to Edmonton. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You right about helping the oilers but that's why if you've read most of the posters that are okay with the move expect 8 overall pick to come with him...that way yea your paying 6 million for a goon but you also get a player like Cozens or Dach or Zegras for pretty much the remainder of the contract....

If we get the 8th for Lucic that likely means they don't take Eriksson. Then we are stuck with 2 horrible contracts.

6 minutes ago, babalu said:

If we get the 8th for Lucic that likely means they don't take Eriksson. Then we are stuck with 2 horrible contracts.

After Eriksson gets his bonus money. There should be acouple teams willing to take him with maybe a 2020 2 or 3rd round picks. Senators should be interested or Panthers or Coyotes. 

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

I honestly dont care. You dont pay a guy 6 million per for 4 seasons to throw some hits.  I bet you can sign a meathead in the AHL for league minimum and tell him to run around and do Jack **** besides throw hits.

Milan Lucic is done.  He has been placed on Connor McDavids line NUMEROUS times over the past 2 seasons and cant even contribute offensively playing shotgun with the best offensive player on the planet.

People have a problem with Louie but want to trade for Lucic who is even more useless and even more expensive.  **** that.  It would be 15 games into next season and the fans would turn on him and then they would b*tch and complain for 4 years about how Benning is an idiot.  

There are 101 other moves this team should look at. Not Milan Lucic.  You really want this anchor on our club 4 seasons from now?  That's 5 years into EP40s career,  6 Years into Brocks.  That's 1/3 or 1/4 of their careers if were lucky, with a scrub taking up a valuable roster spot.

McDavid is making plays way too fast for Lucic to catch up both physically and mentally. I somehow got a chance to play half-court basketball with an NCAA college player (I think it was a division I team). He didn't shoot much but he was making killer passes but there were few moments where players squandered good opportunities because they couldn't catch the ball as 1) me and others couldn't anticipate such a pass being made and since we were unprepared to receive the pass 2) ball was passed hard and fast so we fumbled it :)

I think the same may be the case with Lucic when he is on McDavid's line. 

But yeah I agree with what you are saying. Lucic's contract is an anchor, not unlike Eriksson but has 1 more year. But it's either pay 6 mil for a checker or for physical presence. And if Lucic becomes a huge failure, then this could be the move that gets JB fired. I would like JB to stay on so we'll see.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

After Eriksson gets his bonus money. There should be acouple teams willing to take him with maybe a 2020 2 or 3rd round picks. Senators should be interested or Panthers or Coyotes. 

If we can get rid of Eriksson without acquiring Lucic that would be preferable. I think we can find someone else who brings what lucic does for a lot less money and term.

Edited by babalu

4 minutes ago, babalu said:

If we can get rid of Eriksson without acquiring Lucic that would be preferable. I think we can find someone else who brings what lucic does for a lot less money and term.

True but means we can't bend oilers over for their first round pick and cause we lack the assists to get one. It could work. ( I'm being greedy ha) 

Here are some random thoughts...……..

Vey and Baertschi helped us over a bad time, where we needed some players......Baer if healthy has value, and Vey, well you don't win them all...……….I think we can stop on that now.....really!

As for the Lucic trade...….Edmonton does this because Erikson is a more tradeable asset, and Lucic probably wants out of there bad...….

The value of the trade IMO is a swap of 1sts and Poolparty, which is about all Edmonton is going to give us

But I could see Benning, taking that trade, and swapping out our then 8th, because he may want a Dman, who will be around the 12th/14th OA area (Minni/Arz) and getting their 2nd Round pick for it...…………. Or in Minni's case their 1st (12th) and Zucker for our then 8th + Baertschi ??????

IMO, I think Benning knows that he has too many mid 3/4 type players, so he is not taking any more, especially after adding Lucic and Poolparty

Then he just goes out and gets a RHD UFA, and he is finished

I am OK with Lucic if he is agreeable to be waived at expansion

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here are some random thoughts...……..

Vey and Baertschi helped us over a bad time, where we needed some players......Baer if healthy has value, and Vey, well you don't win them all...……….I think we can stop on that now.....really!

As for the Lucic trade...….Edmonton does this because Erikson is a more tradeable asset, and Lucic probably wants out of there bad...….

The value of the trade IMO is a swap of 1sts and Poolparty, which is about all Edmonton is going to give us

But I could see Benning, taking that trade, and swapping out our then 8th, because he may want a Dman, who will be around the 12th/14th OA area (Minni/Arz) and getting their 2nd Round pick for it...…………. Or in Minni's case their 1st (12th) and Zucker for our then 8th + Baertschi ??????

IMO, I think Benning knows that he has too many mid 3/4 type players, so he is not taking any more, especially after adding Lucic and Poolparty

Then he just goes out and gets a RHD UFA, and he is finished

I am OK with Lucic if he is agreeable to be waived at expansion

I agree. That is the minimum I would want in a trade. If Puljujarvi turns it around it could be a win.

53 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Arizona is already closer to the cap ceiling than the floor with still a few players to re-sign.

Florida wants to be aggressive in the off-season.  Tallon has received the green light to spend right up to the cap.  Their top targets are Panarin and Bobrovsky - they might even have to move Hoffman coming off a 70pts season to create additional cap space.

Ottawa wants to bring back Spezza.  They are only some 12M from the floor with still 8 players to add.  They don't need a 6M player in Eriksson unless the Canucks offer them picks/prospects towards their rebuild.  They can always help out Vegas by taking on the Clarkson contract - it's only 200K in salary after his bonus is paid for a 5.25M cap hit.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Arizona is already closer to the cap ceiling than the floor with still a few players to re-sign.

Florida wants to be aggressive in the off-season.  Tallon has received the green light to spend right up to the cap.  Their top targets are Panarin and Bobrovsky - they might even have to move Hoffman coming off a 70pts season to create additional cap space.

Ottawa wants to bring back Spezza.  They are only some 12M from the floor with still 8 players to add.  They don't need a 6M player in Eriksson unless the Canucks offer them picks/prospects towards their rebuild.  They can always help out Vegas by taking on the Clarkson contract - it's only 200K in salary after his bonus is paid for a 5.25M cap hit.

You popped my bubble ha. I didn't do any research into it just threw those teams out there. My bad. Loui is owed less then his cap hit and Jim should be able to find a taker. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Examples?   He has traded 2nd round picks twice for what were high end prospects (one a first round pick).    What other examples do you offer?

Rob buddy, we have been doing this for enough years that I don't think I need to re-litigate every trade here.  

Briefly there are a lot of trades over the years and we often see Benning throwing in the extra late rounder or recent pics for player he over values.  These range from losing first rounders like McCann and two pics for Guddy or young guys like Forsling, to throw in late round pics for players Like Prust and Larsen.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Pickly said:

Go ahead and make that your prerogative. When he sh*tpumps the first person to lay a hand on Petey I think all the anymosity some Canuck fans had towards him will go right out the window. 

If he defends Petey itvs alright with such a player but if he play dirty on the other teams star and they let their Lucic kick Petey as a revenge it seems like a really bad deal.

Is Lucic only defending the team or is he just dirty all over the ice? 

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Then it's our duty as fans to make it clear Lucic is not welcome and run him out of town.

i understand your distaste, but this is beneath you lad. if a player’s skill has ebbed, he isn’t garbage. his skills have just eroded to the point, he isn’t effective anymore. i know i’m not half the person i used to be. i hope i’m not looked on as garbage . i don’t want looch here either but he is a human being.

• Upvote 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

i understand your distaste, but this is beneath you lad. if a player’s skill has ebbed, he isn’t garbage. his skills have just eroded to the point, he isn’t effective anymore. i know i’m not half the person i used to be. i hope i’m not looked on as garbage . i don’t want looch here either but he is a human being.

Not an issue with his skills, an issue with his character.  I simply don't want someone with that many issues anywhere near our kids to the point they think the way he completely disrespects the game is acceptable.

6 hours ago, babalu said:

LE said some things and he’s pushed himself into this more than anything.  He’s not happy and has dreams of playing with McDavid...which won’t get granted.  Lucic is an anchor I’d agree, but not if they swap picks with us, he waives his NMC so he can become a buyout candidate and we get Puljajarvi for Goldobin.   It depends entirely with what else might happen.   Once the next CBA is done we will have two buyouts most likely at least one...that’s soon enough to make all this go away and we’d end up with a modest gain in the draft (hopefully) and possibly a top six winger...that’s a good deal for LE, actually a great deal because without the trade we get .... well LE for three more years ha ha.