The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

Friedman on Edler:

According to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, Alex Edler and the Vancouver Canucks are going through some tough contract negotiations and it appears the Swedish defenseman would like to move on from the only team he's ever known.

Friedman mentioned the issue is the Canucks would like to sign him to a contract that opens him up for the expansion draft once Seattle is ready to choose players, and even though it would be a short trip south for the Swede from Vancouver, Edler is not interested in playing for Seattle.

The 33-year-old Edler has spent his entire 12 year career in Western Canada, and has 368 points in 814 career NHL games. Friedman went on to mention he sees San Jose as a potential fit.

How are we feeling Canucks fans?

Is this for real?

Edited by dpn1

1 minute ago, Canckelhead said:

If I were the Canucks I would offer him 2 years @ 6m per, if he can still play after that he can re-sign after that. Take it or leave it. He is 33, 4 years would be too much.

You beat me to it!  :towel:

• Upvote 2

This shouldn't even be an issue.  A 2 year contract expires and he will be a UFA when the expansion draft happens. Seattle would be unlikely to choose a UFA 35 year old (or whatever age he will be at that time).  He can choose to sign with Seattle if they want him, or just say no thanks. Then when July 1st UFA window opens, he can re-sign with the Nucks if that is what he and management would like. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, aliboy said:

It's pure entitlement, that he feels he's earned the right

It’s not entitlement in a sense that he’s  earned that right given the time he’s put with the club.  That doesn’t mean we have to bend over for him either.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Agoork said:

This shouldn't even be an issue.  A 2 year contract expires and he will be a UFA when the expansion draft happens. Seattle would be unlikely to choose a UFA 35 year old (or whatever age he will be at that time).  He can choose to sign with Seattle if they want him, or just say no thanks. Then when July 1st UFA window opens, he can re-sign with the Nucks if that is what he and management would like. 

Canucks might be ready to move on in 2 years.  He's 33.  This is likely the last NHL contract he signs so he likely wants more than 2 years to bring him up to retirement.

Edited by mll

4 minutes ago, Agoork said:

This shouldn't even be an issue.  A 2 year contract expires and he will be a UFA when the expansion draft happens. 

Maybe I am missing something, but if the sticking point is Edler being available for the expansion draft then that sounds like they are discussing a contract longer than two years.

This is why you hire an agent.

This strategy created leverage where there was none. The player made his intentions known, hampering his agents ability to get max value.

My guess is that his agent went to Alex and told him to go to Sweden and let him handle it. Now as we approach July, the agent leaks to the media and gets rumors swirling. Now JB is under fire to get it done. It could backfire, but my guess is JB signs him for an extra year than he’d like at a higher amount and Edler doesn’t get his NMC. 

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's easy.  

Edler is not getting a NMC.  No team will give him that.

I see a two year deal at 6 million per with a full NTC.  No expansion draft concerns. 

6 million dollars?! Oh god, I'd rather try and throw 10 at Karlsson, and I don't really want to do that.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3