The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

On 6/16/2019 at 11:11 PM, theo5789 said:

We will see if this is true over time. Do you have any other suggestion on what we should rather do to improve on this situation?

I think just give some youth a chance. Hughes should be a beauty... I’d probably give Woo a look too. And maybe trade for a 4/5 guy that’s 23 or 24. Either Hutton or Stetcher + a 3rd/4th rd pick. Improve on D there. 

57 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Ricky is singing a different tune then he was a few days ago. As @aGENT has pointed out, the media is having a field day with this. Deal will get done now that the NMC is not an issue. 

To be fair, it's a fluid situation and changes every day.  Both parties have said that they want this to work out.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think just give some youth a chance. Hughes should be a beauty... I’d probably give Woo a look too. And maybe trade for a 4/5 guy that’s 23 or 24. Either Hutton or Stetcher + a 3rd/4th rd pick. Improve on D there. 

Hughes is already going to be on the team (likely followed shortly by Juolevi). Woo is almost certainly still a couple years away. Stecher and Hutton are already young #4-#5 guys. And you want to give away extra picks to swap them laterally?

I thought you said you wanted to improve the D?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, zapperman said:

This deal was always getting done. Edler is going nowhere. All of this is simply posturing and negotiation. His agent is simply playing the only card he has. I’m surprised how many are worried here. Edler’s passion for complacency will win. Which is why I hope Jim just sticks with it and goes for 1-2 years at a time. 

Exactly. Screw Edler if he wants to play hardball. He can go pound salt on another team.

8 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

This is how you rush your players like Edmonton does. Especially considering the minutes that Edler plays eg top defensive assignments and top PK unit on top of the offensive responsibilities expected of him.

It could work, but it's not ideal.

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Reporters are circulating around 5 to 5.5 mill AAV. If that goes through for that amount I'm right again about the numbers. People yelling 7 are unbelievable. 

In this market Edler is worth 7 million. Not sure what's unbelievable about that for you.

If Eddie signs for 5-5.5 x3 Hes giving the Canucks a home town discount.  And jimbo is playing hardball to give a take it or leave it deal.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

In this market Edler is worth 7 million. Not sure what's unbelievable about that for you.

If Eddie signs for 5-5.5 x3 Hes giving the Canucks a home town discount.  And jimbo is playing hardball to give a take it or leave it deal.

According to Sportsnet, the two sides are "closing in" on just such a deal:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-alexander-edler-closing-three-year-deal/

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes is already going to be on the team (likely followed shortly by Juolevi). Woo is almost certainly still a couple years away. Stecher and Hutton are already young #4-#5 guys. And you want to give away extra picks to swap them laterally?

I thought you said you wanted to improve the D?

Edler, Hughes, OJ will eventually push Hutton out.  Possibly very soon if the Gardiner rumours hold true and we sign him too.   At some point we trade him for picks/prospects not the other way around right?

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Edler, Hughes, OJ will eventually push Hutton out.  Possibly very soon if the Gardiner rumours hold true and we sign him too.   At some point we trade him for picks/prospects not the other way around right?

Oh I agree, Hutton's days are likely quite numbered but moving him laterally for a another #5 D...and by adding a 3rd....? :blink:

Maybe if that guy's a righty it make some sense but then his suggestion to also moving Stecher doesn't sense the make either. And we don't exactly need more #5-6 guys regardless...(especially as we can pick those guys up for zero assets as UFA's).

And FWIW, Hughes may end up playing right side with us. We could easily go Edler, Hutton and OJ on the left for the foreseeable future as well (though I do tend to agree Hutton's more likely moved at some point this year).