Sign in to follow this  
dpn1

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So you have excuses as to why each player would or wouldn't waive? Right on

man you are really hanging on to that blame and excuse narrative.  

• Upvote 2

You have to play hard ball with him and if he wants to walk and uproot his life here then let him. No way can the Canucks afford to use a protection spot on him. Likely the agent just posturing, everyone knows he wants to stay. There is a good opportunity for Benning to bend him over a barrel.   

• Upvote 2

I've said this all along. Edler is a great defenceman when he is in the lineup. As of late the injuries are piling up and he's in the line up less and less. This is why in my opinion take the money and find another serviceable defenceman who will actually play more. I wouldn't suggest a Karlsson or Myers but someone along the Lines of Gardiner or Sustr for example. The best way is draft and develop but can find help via free agency when that fails.

• Upvote 1

Anything over 3 million is to much. 2 years at 3 with no clauses would sign him.  He is only a shadow of his former self.. and I mean his self before the NMC and the NTC. 

• Confused 5
  • Upvote 1

If he walks I'm okay with it. If he stays I'm okay with it. I'm indifferent to Edler these days. A good Dman no doubt but we can find a younger replacement if we need too.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sorry,  but Elliot is rapidly losing his credibility in terms of reporting on these types of hockey issues.   He has no substantial/credible information over what is common knowledge - Edler and his agent want longer-term with salary/clauses while JB wants shorter term with no clauses.   

That's called bargaining Elliot,  both sides have a goal just like your goal is to get clicks sadly. 

We don’t even know if Elliotte actually said this. That site never links any article or audio clip to its “rumours”. 

He's a good defenseman. The issue is we only get him for around 60 games/year. We're better off paying for someone less injury-prone, as losing our top d-man for that amount of time hurts us every year.

A NTC seems more than fair.  It will just prove that the Canucks won't voluntarily trade him.  

Seattle is only like 2 hours away if he happens to get claimed.  The uncertainty is annoying, but it's way better than just uprooting his family completely and moving to who knows where.

A NMC should only be offered if he's gonna be taking a massive cut like 3 million per season, as it would most likely require the GM to make some deal to bribe Seattle to not take some prized player.  The discount would still be beneficial to the team.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Was Edler even asked to waive at the deadline?  Shouldn't we have known we would have issues signing him?  If he's not going to stay, he should of been moved 

How???

Wasn't he was asked? Maybe his agent told the club already at that stage, Edler only wanted play for Canucks, and now changed his mind?

If he didn't want to be moved you can't move him...especially in the last few months of his contract... What are you gonna do? put a gun to his head? 

You're venting your anger the wrong place....

Edited by spook007

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gurn said:

He did help this team, he played well at less than market value in return for a NTC.

Exactly.... why is it, that every time a player signs for less than market value in return for a NTC, the player is being hung out at the end of his contract.

It's the club that decides to hand out the NTC's... simples...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Losing Hamhuis and Edler for nothing is colossal mismanagement and anybody involved should be fired.  We/Benning/Aqualinni are going to look so stupid if Edler walks

Not as stupid as we would look if we signed him to a long term no movement contrtact. The Hamhuis situation was a totally different  and comparing them is stupid. Letting Edler walk is probably the smart move here, don't get sucked in thinking we need him.

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Well Alex we are having some contract difficulties so it looks like you'll become a UFA this year.  We would appreciate it if you would at least waive your NTC.  If this discussion wasn't had then it is a failure

Yeah thanks for saying so Jim, but no thanks... I prefer to play for Vancouver, and if I can't play here, I want to decide myself where I play. Thats the reason I signed a NTC...but thanks for the coffee...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

And people say Tryamkin is entitled 

Tryamkin isnt the #1 in almost all 50 years of Vancouver Canucks defenceman records to be fair.

46 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Anything over 3 million is to much. 2 years at 3 with no clauses would sign him.  He is only a shadow of his former self.. and I mean his self before the NMC and the NTC. 

Lay off the Bud bro.

3 million?  Wtf?  He was our #1 dman by a fair margin last season.  3 million is just unrealistic.

6 million is more around what hes worth.

• Upvote 1