Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

15 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Giving him an NTC with a low cap hit like 3.5 isn’t out of the question

Uhh , I would say it is.

15 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

but he would have to understand that we might buy him out or give him the Gagner AHL treatment or not protect him in the expansion draft if we don’t need him anymore before his contract expires.

Laugh out loud.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Minus Edler, add Tryamkin, Juolevi, Myers

Hughes - Myers

Tryamkin - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

Juolevi - Schenn 

Tryamkin isn't coming back this season. The other guys are already coming in internally regardless of what happens with Edler.

So what we're really comparing here is Edler vs Myers and frankly Edler is a better D in pretty much everything but age.

We could also theoretically re-sign Edler while adding Myers which would (again, theoretically) be better than any 'either or' scenario as well. At least short term (long term Myers is likely to be overpaid and get 2-3 more years of term than he probably should).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Minus Edler, add Tryamkin, Juolevi, Myers

Hughes - Myers

Tryamkin - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

Juolevi - Schenn 

Tryamkin still has another year left on his KHL deal.

Plus hes no guarantee, and Hughes/Juolevi are rookies, they arent either.

Myers is at best on par with Edler (more likely a downgrade). Plus youll have to give him a worse contract than Edler is asking for.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tryamkin isn't coming back this season. The other guys are already coming in internally regardless of what happens with Edler.

So what we're really comparing here is Edler vs Myers and frankly Edler is a better D in pretty much everything but age.

We could also theoretically re-sign Edler while adding Myers which would (again, theoretically) be better than any 'either or' scenario as well. At least short term (long term Myers is likely to be overpaid and get 2-3 more years of term than he probably should).

Hutton, Stecher, and Hughes all a year older as well. Myers is also a RD which is our weak side. I also expect a trade in there somewhere to add a depth Dman. 

Hughes could put together a calder consideration performance from D ala Miro Heiskanen

Edited by Bure_Pavel

45 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Lay off the Bud bro.

3 million?  Wtf?  He was our #1 dman by a fair margin last season.  3 million is just unrealistic.

6 million is more around what hes worth.

A couple of points...

As I stated above if he is our best then we should be worried about the next season.

The only reason Edler had a better year... is because his contract was up and he was playing to be resigned.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Hutton, Stecher, and Hughes all a year older as well. Myers is also a RD which is our weak side. I also expect a trade in there somewhere to add a depth Dman. 

Yes but we're already getting those things (and adding Hughes/Juolevi). They're already the baseline of 'expected improvement' we're assuming we get this coming season from young players.

Subtracting Edler while adding Myers does not improve us compared to where we'd already be with re-signing Edler. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I am a bit po'ed that Edler wouldn't waive his NTC to go play somewhere else for a couple months or less and get a good return back to help this team in the long run and then he expects the team to meet every demand for him to stay in Vancouver. The reality is that if he were exposed in an expansion draft, Seattle wouldn't be picking an old defenseman, they would be looking for more of an up and comer.

Seems like he is hurting the team more than help it, I say set him loose and we can move on and look for some free agents to sign instead.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-golden-knights-expansion-draft-roster/c-290043004

Jason Garrison, D -- Garrison, 32

Deryk Engelland, D -- Engelland, 35

David Schlemko, D -- Schlemko, 30

Marc Methot, D -- Methot, 32

Clayton Stoner, D -- Stoner, 32

Alexei Emelin, D -- Emelin, 31

Just sayin…

Screen shot 2019-06-11 at 1.03.51 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tryamkin still has another year left on his KHL deal.

Plus hes no guarantee, and Hughes/Juolevi are rookies, they arent either.

Myers is at best on par with Edler (more likely a downgrade). Plus youll have to give him a worse contract than Edler is asking for.

I know its not likely but if Edler walks and im Benning, im on the Phone with Tryamkins agent pretty quick and sending him a very nice gift basket. 

First of all, Elder is one of my favourite D-Men in Canucks franchise history. 

He has been a staple on the top 4 for the last 10+ seasons. 

That being said... He cannot be an asset that is protected from the expansion draft. 

If Elder not willing to accept a contract without a NMC or NTC then BYEEEEE 

I hope he resigns, and i would hope he makes $$$$$$$ for 2-3 years. But, there's a FA that the canucks can sign for more money who is equal or better and wont need to be protected. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yes but we're already getting those things (and adding Hughes/Juolevi). They're already the baseline of 'expected improvement' we're assuming we get this coming season from young players.

Subtracting Edler while adding Myers does not improve us compared to where we'd already be with re-signing Edler. 

Im just talking about an improved Defense over last year, obviously injuries are key as well. 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Im just talking about an improved Defense over last year, obviously injuries are key as well. 

Sure...but that's not a very worthwhile intellectual exercise in a discussion on whether to retain Edler vs replace him. Those other improvements are happening regardless of what we do with Edler or any potential replacement of him. Hence it makes no sense to include them in the discussion re: Edler.

At best you're looking at a lateral move and more likely, a downgrade. That's not 'better' any way you slice it.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sure...but that's not a very worthwhile intellectual exercise in a discussion on whether to retain Edler vs replace him. Those other improvements are happening regardless of what we do with Edler or any potential replacement of him. Hence it makes no sense to include them in the discussion re: Edler.

At best you're looking at a lateral move and more likely, a downgrade. That's not 'better' any way you slice it.

If the only option is protecting him in the ED, they you will be better for it in the long run letting him walk is my stance on it. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If the only option is protecting him in the ED, they you will be better for it in the long run letting him walk is my stance on it. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It's all just agent posturing + media rumour mill speculation :bored:

keep-calm-and-carry-on-300x300.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I'm also optimistic they get something done. 

Exactly. As I said a couple weeks ago in the Edler thread:

On 6/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, aGENT said:

Basically this. Benning is just calling Edler's agents bluff and Edler's agent is just doing his job, trying to get the best deal for his client.

This whole situation is being overblown in the media (desperate for taking points). Both sides want him here and I fully expect he'll be here next season once there's an actual deadline/pressure point to get a deal done.

And if not, it's not like Benning doesn't have options (even if they're arguably lower caliber) July 1 and/or via trade.

Maybe Edler's agent gets him an extra few hundred $K or a full NTC instead of partial for some of the years. Or even a NMC in the non-ED years etc, etc by pushing hard. Agent's just doing his job.

Benning's also doing his (and I see no way he caves on the ED-NMC) by not giving on the NMC and likely trying to keep the term at 2-3 years.

Once the pressure point of July 1 is closer/happens and Edler's agent hasn't got anyone else to offer up an ED-NMC (and in cities that aren't VAN that Edler would clearly prefer to remain in anyway) and the offers aren't wildly different on $, both parties will compromise on a few things and IMO he re-signs (though he could likely get 1-2 extra years of term elsewhere).

It's all just media attempting to remain relevant in the slow season and pretty standard contract negotiations I'd imagine :bored: Yet here we're are, 6 panicky pages later :lol:

35 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

A couple of points...

As I stated above if he is our best then we should be worried about the next season.

The only reason Edler had a better year... is because his contract was up and he was playing to be resigned.  

100%.