The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

you're giving @combover a run for his money with this stuff.

Edler "is" not lost.

Hamhuis had a broken face, a pregnant wife, and a No Movement Clause (that predated this management group).

Likewise, Edler could not be moved without his consent.

Otherwise it's a cool story.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ73NpNwEtIalde-OJDd23

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

If He were the best on the team... then we should be looking for new D... and be worried.

who was better then him?

and he was not just the best dman last season, but the season before as well

you have a limited memory? a bit of weakness about assessing quality d?

it is well known the nucks have a weak d corp

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler will command more than $5 or $6 mill for 2 years.

We have to be realistic.  My suggestion is to overpay him for 2 years. Which might look like $7.5 million.  Even $8.  

We wont have to protect him. It coincides expiring with having to re sign Petey. If he wants to stay longer? Repay us with cheaper short term deals then on...

He's worth 5 absolute tops and even that is too much at his point in his career

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

He's worth 5 absolute tops and even that is too much at his point in his career

You're nuts.  Leafs are paying Zaitsev 4.5 million and he's not even a legit NHLer.  Mike Green makes even more than 5 million and he's an absolute trainwreck in his own zone.  Even the biggest coward in the league, Matheson, makes 4.8 million.  6 million for a legit top 4 who can play on the first pairing if you need him to is a pretty solid discount.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It sounds like Benning doesn't want to give him a contract longer than 2 years, which makes total sense.  So Edler will most likely test the free agent market.  I doubt there is a team out there that will give him more than 2 years, or if they do they won't give him a NMC.  Once Edler figures this out he will come back to the bargaining table and JB will get him a 2x6 deal.  That's fair on both sides.  Edler gets a nice salary as a 33 year old and the Canucks get the term they want.  He can have his NMC as long as its only a 2 year term.

There is no team that will give him 3 years with a full NMC given the expansion draft, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Also, JB can just give him more money on the 2 year deal as others have mentioned.  We won't have cap issues until the expansion draft when Petey and Hughes are up for renewal, so why not just give him 2x7 or 2x8?  If he can get $16 million over the next 2 years that should take care of the money aspect of the deal for him.  If he can get another contract after that then good for him.  If not he got his $16 million and can retire.

He should retire now while he can still physically function, his injury list is a mile and he's a millionaire 10 times over so he can spend a ton of family time as well instead of getting beat on for the next few years...

Maybe he can go ask Holland to sign him to a foolish contract like he did with Kronwall at the same age....

We lose the Sedins last year and won a few more games, my guess is if we lose Edler the same thing will happen.   Don’t know what he’s expecting, at his age how many years past expansion should he really even get?  End of and era.   Just don’t sign him and go after a younger guy like Gardiner or Myers if we think we need a veteran UFA...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You're nuts.  Leafs are paying Zaitsev 4.5 million and he's not even a legit NHLer.  Mike Green makes even more than 5 million and he's an absolute trainwreck in his own zone.  Even the biggest coward in the league, Matheson, makes 4.8 million.  6 million for a legit top 4 who can play on the first pairing if you need him to is a pretty solid discount.

For a guy who is that banged up? Lmao!  Players and their agents would love a guy like you for a GM... if you agree to the post of 7.5 - 8 mil why would you not go after someone around 25-27 yrs old and nowhere near banged up for 2 yrs?

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

For a guy who is that banged up? Lmao!  Players and their agents would love a guy like you for a GM... if you agree to the post of 7.5 - 8 mil why would you not go after someone around 25-27 yrs old and nowhere near banged up for 2 yrs?

Because they won't be taking a 2 year deal if they're in that age range.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe he can go ask Holland to sign him to a foolish contract like he did with Kronwall at the same age....

We lose the Sedins last year and won a few more games, my guess is if we lose Edler the same thing will happen.   Don’t know what he’s expecting, at his age how many years past expansion should he really even get?  End of and era.   Just don’t sign him and go after a younger guy like Gardiner or Myers if we think we need a veteran UFA...

Nods in agreement...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because they won't be taking a 2 year deal if they're in that age range.

For 7.5-8 mil? Sure they would, especially if they want to be able to get an extension if the cap rises and ot probably will but even if not, 8 mil is a lot of bling..

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

For 7.5-8 mil? Sure they would, especially if they want to be able to get an extension if the cap rises and ot probably will but even if not, 8 mil is a lot of bling..

When's the last time you saw a prime-age, high-end UFA sign that short of a contract?

• Thanks 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yep, and I'm asking you to show me evidence of this ever happening in the salary cap era.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, and I'm asking you to show me evidence of this ever happening in the salary cap era.

At 8 mil a year? Any team with cap space would, like us for instance if we have it available and we do until petey signs... 

Just now, iceman64 said:

At 8 mil a year? Any team with cap space would, like us for instance if we have it available and we do until petey signs... 

I'm asking for evidence of one high-end player agreeing to a contract that short as an under 30 UFA.  Of course the team would agree to it.

• Upvote 1