The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Anton Forsberg

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Anton Forsberg is a former goaltending pupil of Ian Clark in the Columbus system. I think, as a general rule, the Canucks are well served listening to Clarky when it comes to scouting goalies, both pro and amateur (well, other than that time we drafted his kid :lol:). If Clark thinks Forsberg is worth the time, I’m all for it.

Once upon a time, he was considered a seventh round "steal" as he really showed in his draft plus one year all the signs of becoming an elite goalie.   He has certainly become nearly that at the AHL level but not quite translated it to any real measure of success in the show.   Still a nice age for a goalie and has played well in games that count (playoffs and international tournaments) everywhere but NHL so if you can get this guy for very little other than a contract, it is a reasonable risk for the Canuck organization.    May also, as others have noted, allow movement of one of the prospects by being a security blanket for that option.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

July 1 we sign Karlsson, Panarin, Myers and Lee, trade for Lucic and Zucker. 

#book it

Lee  Petey  Boeser

Panarin  Horvat  Pearson

Roussel  Gaudette  Zucker

Lucic  Beagle  Virtanen (the hitting crew)

Edler  Karlsson

Hughes Myers

OJ  Tryamkin

I'm in!!   :shock:

3 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Hmm, maybe Thatcher and co. want out?

Such an obscure player to be linked with.

You have to promise not to tell anyone this....NO ONE!!

I did a deep dive on the dark web.

Anton Forsberg's uncle is.........Gary Bettman.......wholly jeebus......WE GET THE CUP NEXT YEAR!!!      

42 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Currently, who do we have to protect; Juolevi, Stecher and presumably our potential Eriksson UFA signing?

Hughes is exempt.

I will assume that we may have Stecher exposed by the end of it.  Joulevi UFA/Trade Tryamkin is my line if thinking unless Stecher takes a huge jump.  I think there is an element of everyone feeling jaded by Tryamkin leaving but what were everybody’s thoughts before that was announced?  Everyone would have said no way to allowing a team to claim him.  He won’t be worse when he comes back.  Likely much better.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Anton Forsberg is a former goaltending pupil of Ian Clark in the Columbus system. I think, as a general rule, the Canucks are well served listening to Clarky when it comes to scouting goalies, both pro and amateur (well, other than that time we drafted his kid :lol:). If Clark thinks Forsberg is worth the time, I’m all for it.

I'm pretty sure that was only to keep the goalie coach happy (and seeing his good work for us, why not?  It was only a 7th round pick).

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What on earth makes you say this?   What current NHL Dman went to the KHL and came back "better"?     

Chara? :ph34r:

i think that the point is that good D men don’t go to the KHL and get worse.  I can’t think of any examples?  Larsson is an example of a d man that wasn’t good in the NHL became a KHL all star and then sucked at the NHL level again.  What examples do we have of the KHL ruining players?

Tryamkin will just have naturally gotten better with maturity.  He has a unique skill set and that won’t vanish in the KHL.

22 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I will assume that we may have Stecher exposed by the end of it.  Joulevi UFA/Trade Tryamkin is my line if thinking unless Stecher takes a huge jump.  I think there is an element of everyone feeling jaded by Tryamkin leaving but what were everybody’s thoughts before that was announced?  Everyone would have said no way to allowing a team to claim him.  He won’t be worse when he comes back.  Likely much better.

If Stecher is exposed he’s gone without a doubt. He’s shaping up to be a real solid Dman. Not flashy but gets the job done, plays hard, and always trying to improve. He’s our Tanev with a little more offence and more durable. Knock on wood on the durable part knowing Canucks luck lol

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, ya they do.   It happens quite often in fact.

Just looking for examples.  Don’t doubt it’s possible but I can’t think of a good NHL D man that went to the KHL and got worse.  Only Chara comes to mind and he got better.  Partially kidding on that one but can’t think of another example.

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

If Stecher is exposed he’s gone without a doubt. He’s shaping up to be a real solid Dman. Not flashy but gets the job done, plays hard, and always trying to improve. He’s our Tanev with a little more offence and more durable. Knock on wood on the durable part knowing Canucks luck lol

I like Stecher too and he will be a good player for us but if it comes down to Tryamkin or Stecher who do you protect?  Let’s assume they both have 3x3 contracts.  I bet this is a rough split but I could be wrong.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I like Stecher too and he will be a good player for us but if it comes down to Tryamkin or Stecher who do you protect?  Let’s assume they both have 3x3 contracts.  I bet this is a rough split but I could be wrong.

That’s a good point. We were pretty lucky last expansion. This one will be a bit tougher of a decision no doubt. It would hurt to see either of those guys get claimed. I guess I’d personally like see the local kid stick but hard to see a guy go like a Tryamkin type who we desperately need on our back end for size. Guess it all depends on how his season goes if he does indeed come back.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s a good point. We were pretty lucky last expansion. This one will be a bit tougher of a decision no doubt. It would hurt to see either of those guys get claimed. I guess I’d personally like see the local kid stick but hard to see a guy go like a Tryamkin type who we desperately need on our back end for size. Guess it all depends on how his season goes if he does indeed come back.

This will certainly be tougher based on our phase of rebuild.  We have many players that are just sub-core that may need to be exposed.  Luckily they will only take 1 but it will still hurt.

• Cheers 1

I’d like to think that this rumour is based on the idea of trading Marky for some high quality goods but it’s probably just Benning’s due diligence in securing some depth after what happened this year with injuries. I also think it’s only beneficial for Demkos development to be Markys backup for a season or 2 before he proves himself more and gets the reigns 

6 hours ago, Solinar said:

One of the guys I follow on Youtube spoke to this last week.  As we lead up to the draft, and during a slow news cycle, it is easier to link Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal  to almost everybody, because you get the clicks.  There is a lot of smoke out there, but rarely any fire.  If we were to believe the news cycle, July 2nd will see each team with a 46 man roster and a payroll around 200 million.

JB is merely practicing his due diligence, which is incredibly refreshing to now have a GM who works his tale off to improve (not to say that prior GMs didn't for us, but JB seems to reeeeally be thinking about every angle and really going after it). 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, nergish said:

Why the heck not?

Would be a great AHL level goaltender who can be called up in the event of an injury.

Demko's not being traded. His value will be doubled this time next year...

And the following season, he and Markstrom will battle it out to see who gets traded. VGK picked a lot of goalies and defense in the expansion draft and I can see Seattle following suit.

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I’d like to think that this rumour is based on the idea of trading Marky for some high quality goods but it’s probably just Benning’s due diligence in securing some depth after what happened this year with injuries. I also think it’s only beneficial for Demkos development to be Markys backup for a season or 2 before he proves himself more and gets the reigns 

I'd entertain him as part of a package for Ristolainen...

• Upvote 1

Demko is our guy!

His current contract is only $1,050,000 until 2021/22 - Seattle's expansion year.

Thatcher going into the expansion year of his new contract will be off the back of having just earned the starting position. He then will be protected and Markstrom may be dealt before the draft.

So Demko's first "full time" NHL career contract will likely not be a big hit on the budget, his big payday will be determined in this frame of time going forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2