Sign in to follow this  
audiodave

[Proposal] Trade Van and TO

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In every case each player has been disappointing, and certainly not a difference maker.  

Sutter made a difference when healthy as does Baer. Goldy may yet become a player.

Don't try to go revisionist on Dahlen, almost every single poster was good with the trade that brought him into the organization.

Edited by gurn
  • Hydration 1

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Sutter made a difference when healthy as does Baer. Goldy may yet become a player.

Don't try to go revisionist on Dahlen, almost every single poster was good with the trade that brought him into the organization.

I am excited about every player we get, including Vey.  However, we have been down the reclamation/can contribute more path before.  Again, in each case the player we got (although I cheered madly for them at the time) did not live up to management's hoped ceiling.  Maybe the 11th. time is a charm?  Whomever JB decides to bring in, I will be on board and cheer for them.   

I like the premise, but I'd also take Marleau too. If he'd waive. That's like 12mil in cap going out, not including what it'd take to re-sign Kapanen and only like 4mil going back again not including the RFA re-signing. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I am excited about every player we get, including Vey.  However, we have been down the reclamation/can contribute more path before.  Again, in each case the player we got (although I cheered madly for them at the time) did not live up to management's hoped ceiling.  Maybe the 11th. time is a charm?  Whomever JB decides to bring in, I will be on board and cheer for them.   

Again, none of the guys you mentioned had a full season as a legit top 6 already under their belt. To compare Kapanen at this point to any reclamation project or prospect we've taken on isn't a fair comparison at all. 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Again, none of the guys you mentioned had a full season as a legit top 6 already under their belt. To compare Kapanen at this point to any reclamation project or prospect we've taken on isn't a fair comparison at all. 

Kapanen would be in the "can contribute more" category, like Guddy, Sutter, and some others before them.  I just don't know if that is worth giving up any (decent) assets for?

Just now, Alflives said:

Kapanen would be in the "can contribute more" category, like Guddy, Sutter, and some others before them.  I just don't know if that is worth giving up any (decent) assets for?

Guddy and Sutter were established players with multiple seasons under their belts by the time we traded for them. Gudbranson was 24 and had 4 full seasons + one half season in the NHL already and had never shown himself to be anything more than a bottom pairing guy to that point. 

Sutter also had multiple seasons under his belt and was already 26 when we traded for him. He was a well established 3rd line player by that point. 

Kapanen is 22 year old and just came off his first full season in the NHL in which he put up 44 points in 78 games. That would have made him the 4th highest scoring player on the Canucks. 

It's apples and oranges.

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Guddy and Sutter were established players with multiple seasons under their belts by the time we traded for them. Gudbranson was 24 and had 4 full seasons + one half season in the NHL already and had never shown himself to be anything more than a bottom pairing guy to that point. 

Sutter also had multiple seasons under his belt and was already 26 when we traded for him. He was a well established 3rd line player by that point. 

Kapanen is 22 year old and just came off his first full season in the NHL in which he put up 44 points in 78 games. That would have made him the 4th highest scoring player on the Canucks. 

It's apples and oranges.

Guddy is D and Sutter is a checking center.  Both are positions that take (in most cases) more experience to mature than winger.  Plus, in both cases JB said he believed each of those guys had more to contribute than opportunity given on their other teams.  Kapanen is a winger of 22.  If we got him, there would be the expectation that he had "more to his ceiling" and only needed a better opportunity.  That's the same boat for all three to me.  

Again, if we did get Kap, i would be his biggest supporter, and state the Laughs got bent over.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guddy is D and Sutter is a checking center.  Both are positions that take (in most cases) more experience to mature than winger.  Plus, in both cases JB said he believed each of those guys had more to contribute than opportunity given on their other teams.  Kapanen is a winger of 22.  If we got him, there would be the expectation that he had "more to his ceiling" and only needed a better opportunity.  That's the same boat for all three to me.  

Again, if we did get Kap, i would be his biggest supporter, and state the Laughs got bent over.  

What JB states and what the facts actually were are two different things. In Kapanen's case, he's shown progression without hitting any sort of glass ceiling yet, and he's already put up top 6 numbers. That a lot more than you can say about Sutter, Gudbranson, or any of the other "projects" you listed. 

Dreaming. Thats what this trade would be. Remember there is someone else that has to go before Kap. And he just inked his contract at an unbelievable price. It doesn't matter that Marleau, and Gardner is gone. Kap has made himself a friend of the coach.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, The_Rocket said:

Retain a lot of money on Tanev and maybe throw something else of low value that TO could use in (Biega? 4th rounder? Another corcone level guy?) and I think it’s pretty fair. 

you might have to throw in another defenseman as tanev might only be good for 60 games. maybe rights to tryamkin too might get it done.

Edited by Ojibwa72
update