The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019

CBH1926

World Cup  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Obviously I am rooting for the Canadians. I happen to know a few players on the team, so that makes watching that much more enjoyable. Also rooting for the Azzurre as I am of Italian heritatge and have dual citizienship. That victory over Australia was satisfying and the picture below brought back some great memories. I think it astonishing how much the game has grown the past 4 years. Technically, the teams are just so much better. Bodes well for the game

italy2006australia.jpg

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Obviously I am rooting for the Canadians. I happen to know a few players on the team, so that makes watching that much more enjoyable. Also rooting for the Azzurre as I am of Italian heritatge and have dual citizienship. That victory over Australia was satisfying and the picture below brought back some great memories. I think it astonishing how much the game has grown the past 4 years. Technically, the teams are just so much better. Bodes well for the game

italy2006australia.jpg

But what doesn't bode well is that 13-0 from USA v. Thailand.  Canadian media is going hard on the Americans for celebrating too hard and being disrespectful to their opponent.

It's weird because I understand the immense pressure and injustice.  They are the faces of women's soccer and have worked hard to get even this much attention and exposure.  And I still hate them for their arrogance, front to back.

37 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, all the over the top celebrations in a 13-nil beatdown were pretty classless from the Americans....

...exactly what we've come to expect from them.

I still think they're going to win, though.<_<

I voted for them, but I sure hope they get bounced. Running and sliding after scoring goal number 11(I think?) is not okay in the slightest. I hope the Thai gals aren’t phased, and they seemed happy to be able to play at that level for the first time. I’m happy for them :) 

7 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I voted for them, but I sure hope they get bounced. Running and sliding after scoring goal number 11(I think?) is not okay in the slightest. I hope the Thai gals aren’t phased, and they seemed happy to be able to play at that level for the first time. I’m happy for them :) 

It would definitely be nice to see them lose....even if I think it probably won't happen.

This morning I read where Abby Wambach has waded into the debate and in predictable fashion, she's channeling her inner Serena Williams by playing the "sexism" card: "You guys would never criticize a men's team for this!"....

Uh...yes we would, Abby. In fact, we do it all the time. :picard:

• Upvote 3

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

It would definitely be nice to see them lose....even if I think it probably won't happen.

This morning I read where Abby Wambach has waded into the debate and in predictable fashion, she's channeling her inner Serena Williams by playing the "sexism" card: "You guys would never criticize a men's team for this!"....

Notice how after the 4th goal in almost any men’s league, the cheering stops? Maybe a laugh and a clap, but an all out slide? No. F that 

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

But what doesn't bode well is that 13-0 from USA v. Thailand.  Canadian media is going hard on the Americans for celebrating too hard and being disrespectful to their opponent.

It's weird because I understand the immense pressure and injustice.  They are the faces of women's soccer and have worked hard to get even this much attention and exposure.  And I still hate them for their arrogance, front to back.

Just shows how much more the game has to grow. It is encouraging to see the improvements. You are right. It was classless. I made a Status update about it. I understand celebrating if it is your first WNT or WC goal, but for Rapinoe (the captain might I add) to celebrate the 9-0 is awful. 

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It doesn't happen in the mens game though or at least it doesn't happen very often. Hell, in Italy teams tend to only score 4-5 goals when they outclass an opponent. Look at this u20 WC game from a few weeks ago. Tell me if you see any egregious celebrations during this onslaught?

5 minutes ago, Free-Unit said:

Making issues out of nothing really. If you score you should celebrate. Your team should probably focus more on why you're doing terrible rather than whether or not they are celebrating.

It's called sportsmanship.

Imagine if it was a hockey game between Canada's Olympic team and South Africa... and each time Canada scores, even if it's like 25-0... all the players jumps off the bench and celebrate as if it was Crosby scoring the Gold Medal winning goal in 2010.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It's called sportsmanship.

Imagine if it was a hockey game between Canada's Olympic team and South Africa... and each time Canada scores, even if it's like 25-0... all the players jumps off the bench and celebrate as if it was Crosby scoring the Gold Medal winning goal in 2010.  

Besides how is the game going to grow, if the opposing teams are so demoralized from getting the score running up on them? As I stated in the status update. I hope in the future another women's team gets so good they can give the US a drubbing and see how they like it. I bet the US media would go ape, saying how classless the other team is....

The irony in all of this is that it’s primarily (my opinion...not stating it as a fact) that in the major sporting events in the US (and Canada), it’s considered real poor sportsmanship and cheap to run up the score.  I’m not talking about the college level but the pros.   

On 1040 Donnie T saying his opinion, which matches mine,..

It isn't the running up the score part that was wrong; as there is a goal differential component to the first round; but celebrating all those extra goals, the way they did, was distasteful.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gurn said:

The gals from Thailand should  have challenged the women of the US to a kick boxing match, then shown the US what a real ass kicking looks like. :ph34r:

Honestly, I would've started getting testy with them.  I've been on teams where we get blown out.  Fine with that.  But if they start rubbing it in our faces like the USWNT did, I start looking for revenge.  I dont care if they are bigger and faster - my emotions get the better of me.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The irony in all of this is that it’s primarily (my opinion...not stating it as a fact) that in the major sporting events in the US (and Canada), it’s considered real poor sportsmanship and cheap to run up the score.  I’m not talking about the college level but the pros.   

The scoring is fine.  No shame for playing hard to the final whistle.  There will be greater challenges for them up ahead.

2 hours ago, Free-Unit said:

Making issues out of nothing really. If you score you should celebrate. Your team should probably focus more on why you're doing terrible rather than whether or not they are celebrating.

Disagree.  You do that in any other sport and you would be eating your dinner out of a straw.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Free-Unit said:

Your team should probably focus more on why you're doing terrible rather than whether or not they are celebrating.

I bet the Thai girls were asking why don't their government spend millions of dollars funding sports and then more millions of dollars masking doping results:bigblush:.  

1 hour ago, gurn said:

On 1040 Donnie T saying his opinion, which matches mine,..

It isn't the running up the score part that was wrong; as there is a goal differential component to the first round; but celebrating all those extra goals, the way they did, was distasteful.

This. Only a small minority were making the score the focus. For most, it was the nature of the celebrations. And it is an absolute joke that people are claiming sexism. Even atom house hockey kids know not to celebrate when the score isn't close. 

• Thanks 1