The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019

CBH1926

World Cup  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

This. Only a small minority were making the score the focus. For most, it was the nature of the celebrations. And it is an absolute joke that people are claiming sexism. Even atom house hockey kids know not to celebrate when the score isn't close. 

Yup an example I heard was last World Cup when Germany thumped Brazil, the host nation.  After four goals there were no over the top celebrations.  Also noted that most U19 teams in N. America could beat the Thai national team so it wasn't a triumphant feat.  

Miedema becomes Dutch's top scorer all time

This is just bonkers to think, but Vivianne Miedema is now the Netherlands' all-time leading goal scorer with 60 goals. While you can't deny her talent, it's crazy to think she has the record at the age of 22. She passed Manon Melis with her two goals in the 3-1 win over Cameroon. 

Miedema could just shatter the record. She averages 10 goals a year for the national team, so let's say she plays 10 more years and stays at that rate, and you've got 160 goals and an advantage of 100 goals over second place. That's just wild. 

For those that don't know much about her, Miedema used to play for Bayern Munich and now plays for Arsenal. She won Euro 2017 with the Netherlands and won Women's Player of the Year at the London Football Awards. A clinical striker, she has 172 goals in 196 career club games, including 29 this past season. 

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

For those that don't know much about her, Miedema used to play for Bayern Munich and now plays for Arsenal. She won Euro 2017 with the Netherlands and won Women's Player of the Year at the London Football Awards. A clinical striker, she has 172 goals in 196 career club games, including 29 this past season. 

Guess we'll find out something about her on Thursday.  :blink:

Those are crazy stats.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:19 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Disappointing. A much tougher road to advance now. First the Swedes and if they can manage a victory, the Germans would be next....

I think Canada will beat Sweden but loose to Germans.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That was a great game - but the Swedes were just that good.

Girls didn't really muster the offence, like I was hoping.  They played their hardest though, so that has to be respected.  

Was Marc Crawford advising on who took our PK?  Why not Sinclair???

Edited by Alflives

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Girls didn't really muster the offence, like I was hoping.  They played their hardest though, so that has to be respected.  

Was Marc Crawford advising on who took our PK?  Why not Sinclair???

The Swedes back line is tough - as is their goaltender.

They also, realistically generated more high quality opportunites  -  I think they deserved it, at both ends of the field.

The pk was a great take imo- it just happens that it was a great save.  That's life.

Apparently Sinclair asked Beckie to/if she wanted to take the shot.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Swedes back line is tough - as is their goaltender.

They also, realistically generated more high quality opportunites  -  I think they deserved it, at both ends of the field.

The pk was a great take imo- it just happens that it was a great save.  That's life.

Apparently Sinclair asked Beckie to/if she wanted to take the shot.

Why would Sinclair ask another player to take a PK?  Was she injured?  Is that common to put pressure on a teammate like that?  I don't know about soccer, but I just struggle with seeing a player doing that.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would Sinclair ask another player to take a PK?  Was she injured?  Is that common to put pressure on a teammate like that?  I don't know about soccer, but I just struggle with seeing a player doing that.  

I don't think "pressure" cost them a goal Alf - she took a great shot - hard/good pace and  a foot from the post - the goaltender made an unreal save, period.

I can't speak for her state of mind, but perhaps Sinclair felt that Beckie earned the opportunity, gave them the best chance to tie it up - I don't know, but I don't think it matters really.

Beckie did not crumble under pressure - the goaltender made a great save.  For me that's end of story.

The Swedes played a great game.

Yep. Missed the match, but saw the two highlights. The 'Keeper guessed right and made a terrific save. Nothing wrong with the shot by JB...

Disappointing, but they left it all out on the field.

All of a sudden, I've become a big fan of Team France.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I read that Sinclair was stopped by that goalie in an earlier tournament and it was JB who scored.  

But PK are kinda of a crap shoot for the goalie and most shooters score.  Sinclair should have taken it anyway.  She is the captain and has all the experience. She should not have felt the need to let others have a shot too, but maybe that's the kind of person she is.  A coach should make that decision so that a player doesn't have to do that to their teammates.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1