The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks reveal new jerseys for 50th season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

When I first saw the 3 new jerseys I disliked them all however as I look at them more, I'm starting to really like the new 3rd jersey. I think they made great choices for it. The green stripes look great. I really like that they are thicker and more pronounced than the home and away jerseys and I am perfectly fine that they don't have any white in the stripes. Might actually make me like them more as they stand out more from the home and away jerseys. The home and away jerseys look odd to me but that is probably because I am just so used to the Vancouver word mark. The skate jersey looks beautiful as always but is it just me or does the logo on the skate jersey look off-centred.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Boom Boom Bieksa_3 said:

When I first saw the 3 new jerseys I disliked them all however as I look at them more, I'm starting to really like the new 3rd jersey. I think they made great choices for it. The green stripes look great. I really like that they are thicker and more pronounced than the home and away jerseys and I am perfectly fine that they don't have any white in the stripes. Might actually make me like them more as they stand out more from the home and away jerseys.

came to the thread to say exactly this.

those 3rds do grow on you.

Edited by Yung1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, vancouverbucsfan said:

@CanuckGAME in my USA travels especially when I have gone the last 2 years to watch the Canucks play the Golden Knights in Las Vegas I have proudly worn the green Johnny Canuck jersey and have had nothing but positive feedback from stranger hockey fans. They really dig the logo and have told me tell your team to throw it on a jersey. They would buy it. Aquaman is making a big marketing mistake not even doing one of them as an alternate third jersey. As well do you fellow canuck fans recall that news story last year about the kids lacrosse team that had Johnny Canuck jerseys made up for them? The Canucks were pissed off about it so much threatening a lawsuit and wanted the jerseys destroyed and/or handed over to them. Why would they fuss so much about a kids lacrosse team donning a Johnny Canuck design logo and now not decide to even consider doing one all together for their 50th anniversary? Most of us fans would have thought the team was finally gonna consider doing a new Johnny Canuck jersey for their 50th year? Yet they get anal over a kids lacrosse team using their logo? Go figure?

canucks_johnny_canuck.png

original (1).jpg

No offense man, but only the few people who like a jersey like this are actually going to come up to you and tell you what they think.  Obviously people who hate this jersey (which seems to be most people) aren't going to come up to you and say that to your face.

The bottom line here is that a few select people agree with you, but most people think it is a horrible jersey, and it is not obvious at all that it would sell well.  Just because some people told you they like it doesn't mean it would be popular.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Boom Boom Bieksa_3 said:

When I first saw the 3 new jerseys I disliked them all however as I look at them more, I'm starting to really like the new 3rd jersey. I think they made great choices for it. The green stripes look great. I really like that they are thicker and more pronounced than the home and away jerseys and I am perfectly fine that they don't have any white in the stripes. Might actually make me like them more as they stand out more from the home and away jerseys...

Totally agree.  I hated them all (except the skate) when I first saw them.  Many views later, I like all of them.  

@Jester13

I've seen you multiple times complain that the orca logo is "corporate". Maybe this will ease your mind a little bit. I found this in an article: "The orca has been criticized, often unfairly. The idea that the orca is “corporate logo” is flawed. Orca Bay was a company that was formed to represent the Canucks, Vancouver Grizzlies, and Rogers Arena. It wasn’t a name used to sell McCaw’s other business ventures."

Also, on its wiki page it says: " As Vancouver executive Arthur Griffiths overspent building General Motors Place, where the NHL's Vancouver Canucks and the upcoming NBA expansion Vancouver Grizzlies would play, on March 1995 he associated with Seattle billionaire John McCaw, Jr. - then a co-owner of the Seattle Mariners - to form the Northwest Entertainment Group, which would control both teams and the arena.[3] On August 22 the company was rebaptized Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, in homage to the killer whales that roam on the British Columbia coast.[4]" And if you follow one of the sources (4) from the wiki page: "Griffiths added that the name was chosen to reflect the organization's West Coast heritage"

I hope it convinces you that actually the company name was influenced by the region, so in consequence, the logo was rather influenced by the region, and not just by a "greedy" company. I mean it doesn't change the fact that the logo comes from the company name, but the company name was changed to pay respect to the region in the first place. Or maybe I'm just too naive. Anyway, have a nice day.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Heritage is horrendous... Looks like a kindergarten version of the classic stick and rink 

The home and away... I hate to say it... I don't like spreading hate / dislike to my team but these are atrocious. I don't like removing "Vancouver" one bit. They removed the text and enlarged the orca and it looks brutal imo. 

The black / orange skate looks good at least. 

The silver lining in all of this is... Hopefully I can get a sweet deal on sales of the old jerseys with "Vancouver" text! 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DontTouchMeGuys said:

i like the third jersey. i think it will grow on people once it is seen on the ice.

I concur.... lol!  

The 'lack' of white on the sleeves and and lower trim actually keep the focus on the white in the logo and collar... Really makes it pop.  Logo will show well moving down the ice.  The 'C' is now distinctly noticeable from a distance.  The new stick is almost cartoonish but works...  At least it doesn't look like a twig anymore.

• Cheers 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, Gäz said:

I mean, that is pretty reflective of Van. :lol:

Agree 100%. I don't know who's idea it was to try to "modernize" the stick-in-rink, but they should be fired; it was terrible the first time they did it and it's terrible now. Just use the bloody original, like a normal team. How such an organization can make such blunders like this is baffling to me.

I love this team with all my heart, but... Their design department seriously needs an intervention of some kind.

And who hired the design department?? The Aquilinis - one of the WORST ownerships in professional sports. They simply butchered the Canucks brand, not counting the Skate throwback jersey. All for the 50th anniversary.

• Wat 3

On 6/13/2019 at 12:59 PM, TheRick said:

Why can't the orca die?

Fin can stay but the constipated and corporate orca needs to be harpooned.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, wildwood12 said:

Get rid of the Orca

1000% agree. 

It's Vancouver Canucks.

Not  Vancouver Orcas.

Not Vancouver Orcanucks.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:42 PM, bishopshodan said:

I just stared to listen to 1040 again.....and I'm done. That didn't last long. 

Taylor is on there pushing his propaganda. I used to like him back in the day but he has lost it for me.

Stating that everyone, man, woman and child wants Johnny Canuck.

I don't mind if you like JC and want that logo, give your reasons but stop pushing lies, you loser.

Read the Canucks actual fan site. Here, CDC....review the discussions of the actual fans and find out what where the actual support goes.

F' Moj too while I'm at it. Old farts need to get to steppin. 

Don Taylor, who knows a lot more about sports logos and uniforms than most people, is 1000% on the mark. So is the Moj. As a Generation Xer, I have far more respect for highly knowledgeable "old farts" like Don, the Moj and David Pratt than I do for arrogant, dismissive, disrespecting, self-entitlist Millennials who think they know more but don't know bugger-all.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, bishopshodan said:

That's not what got me grumpy. They can dislike the new sweaters all they want, thier opinion.

Stating like a fact that everyone wants Johnny Canuck as a logo is what got under my skin. That's not the case at all, most CDC polls have the Orca killing JC in popularity. 

Outside of CDC, the Orca always gets killed in other polls.

Screenshot_20190615-093058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190615-093036_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190615-093848_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Wat 4

I’m gonna confess I just pre ordered a black jersey with Pettersson on it for September. Lol

i thought at least the black one is a lil more fashionable and easier to wear and match with my street wear. 

I have a question does anyone know if and when the canucks are going to announce captaincy cuz I really hope they give the A to petey for my jersey sake hahaha. 

Sorry my purpose of this question absolutely has nothing to do with hockey reasons but the sole purpose of my purchase. Lol

Edited by jptony604
  • Upvote 1

I really like all of them, and I’m honestly just so happy we didn’t end up with the cartoon Johnny Canuck. I have a retro jersey and even the little Johnny Canuck shoulder patches drove me nuts lol. 

And it makes so much more sense now with the retro stick and skate logo having the ice be white and the stick being blue. It takes a bit of getting used to but I think it’s going to pop beautifully during games. 

Also, I was never crazy about the “Vancouver” on the old jerseys, especially when their motto was that “We are all Canucks”. It’s kind of contradictory to say we’re all Canucks (referring to our entire province) and then blatantly single out Vancouver on our chests lol. I think the jerseys look perfect now with the wording gone and the logo larger and slightly higher up so that it no longer sits like a belly patch lol! Just my opinion. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rubik said:

@Jester13

I've seen you multiple times complain that the orca logo is "corporate". Maybe this will ease your mind a little bit. I found this in an article: "The orca has been criticized, often unfairly. The idea that the orca is “corporate logo” is flawed. Orca Bay was a company that was formed to represent the Canucks, Vancouver Grizzlies, and Rogers Arena. It wasn’t a name used to sell McCaw’s other business ventures."

Also, on its wiki page it says: " As Vancouver executive Arthur Griffiths overspent building General Motors Place, where the NHL's Vancouver Canucks and the upcoming NBA expansion Vancouver Grizzlies would play, on March 1995 he associated with Seattle billionaire John McCaw, Jr. - then a co-owner of the Seattle Mariners - to form the Northwest Entertainment Group, which would control both teams and the arena.[3] On August 22 the company was rebaptized Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, in homage to the killer whales that roam on the British Columbia coast.[4]" And if you follow one of the sources (4) from the wiki page: "Griffiths added that the name was chosen to reflect the organization's West Coast heritage"

I hope it convinces you that actually the company name was influenced by the region, so in consequence, the logo was rather influenced by the region, and not just by a "greedy" company. I mean it doesn't change the fact that the logo comes from the company name, but the company name was changed to pay respect to the region in the first place. Or maybe I'm just too naive. Anyway, have a nice day.

I'm really not in the mood to get into it again, but I've also said many times that I like the orca logo, just that I wish it wasn't our primary anymore. I've also said that if Orca Bay Sports was not the owner at the time, an orca would never have come up in the discussion for being the logo, which to me speaks volume. Others can disagree all they want, but it's weird for a sports team to have something on their logo that doesn't relate to the team. 

And I know, orcas do because they just showed up coincidentally in False Creek only a few days ago, but fwiw that was the first time orcas have done that since 2000, so it's not a regular occurrence like some want it to be. 

We should've stuck with the skate.

9 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Fin can stay but the constipated and corporate orca needs to be harpooned.

1000% agree. 

It's Vancouver Canucks.

Not  Vancouver Orcas.

Not Vancouver Orcanucks.

Don Taylor, who knows a lot more about sports logos and uniforms than most people, is 1000% on the mark. So is the Moj. As a Generation Xer, I have far more respect for highly knowledgeable "old farts" like Don, the Moj and David Pratt than I do for arrogant, dismissive, disrespecting, self-entitlist Millennials who think they know more but don't know bugger-all.

Outside of CDC, the Orca always gets killed in other polls.

Screenshot_20190615-093058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190615-093036_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190615-093848_Samsung Internet.jpg

If I’m the Canuck’s marketing, I’m very concerned about these results.  Likely fans associate with the emblem from their youth, when they truly loved the game with the eyes of a child.  I see in these results plenty of plus 40 adults liking the skate.  Those of us older folk who prefer the stick in rink, aren’t really tech savvy, so don’t even know what Twitter is.  My concern, though, is Where are the new younger fans who should be attached to the Orca?  I think the Canucks have lost a generation of fans.  Or is our city, being so culturally diverse, not a hockey town with the kids 20 and under?  

I don’t know if the Canucks see this trend, but they better, or they will fall off like the lions.