The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks reveal new jerseys for 50th season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Kind of random but I came across this photo of GM Place before a game in 1997, and as you can see on the railings it looks like they had our current home logo as a graphic even back then. Maybe this was already news but I never noticed that before, haha. 

GM_Place_1997.jpg

• Upvote 3

I poached this from that shabby board where the whiniest whiners hang out but it provides some interesting insight as to why Vancouver moved away from the blue and green colour scheme in the first place.

Canuck colors: trick or treat?
Taylor, Jim. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 30 Aug 1978: P.29. 

Reports that the Canucks might ditch their green, blue and white uniforms have been circulating for months. Most thought they'd follow tradition and change the blue to red. But no, the new look is red-orange, yellow, and black... They hired a U.S. communications counselling firm to find out what was wrong with their old image and come up with a new one, something that would make the customers forget the ghosts of disasters past. For only $100,000 they got their answer... Monday morning... I phoned Bill Boyd of Beyl and Boyd, the San Francisco firm responsible for the new look.

"The Canuck colors," he said, "were all wrong. Blue-green is the coolest color of all. Slows the pulse, reduces aggression, promotes calmness... Psychiatric wards are painted blue-green... Encourages tranquility... White, being a passive color, induces the least response of all. And green -- did you know that in ancient times green -- not black, but green -- was the color symbolizing death?"... Boyd's group has never seen the Canucks. But so far he'd painted his picture of a bunch of dead-looking guys skating calmly around with no aggressive tendencies and a pulse that's barely registering.

"... To the ancients, blue symbolized saintliness. It was their color of virginity... There are physical and psychological differences in people's responses to different colors... Colors are read by rods and cones in the eyes and the input travels along different sets of nerves... With the Canuck uniforms we are going from the coolest of colors -- blue-green -- to the hottest -- red-orange. The cool color is passive, the hot one aggressive. Plus the black. It's the contrast of colors that creates emotion. White produces no response at all, so we went for yellow -- which is warm, pleasant, happy. Upbeat. What we are attempting to create is an atmosphere that will help create the happy, upbeat, aggressive player -- and, hopefully, the happy, upbeat fan. The Canucks want to provide the fan with an atmosphere in which it's easier for him or her to have fun."

"V," he said, "is for Vancouver... It's fortunate, too... because it creates the ideal diagonal stripe. All teams have horizontal or vertical stripes. That's static. Diagonal stripes get your attention. They're like the crooked picture on the wall. You have to fix it or it drives you crazy."... But now he was on to my favorite subject, the Canuck crest... "We analyzed the colors and logo of every team in every major league sport. We gave the Canucks 20 different approaches. Mike Bull, a San Francisco illustrator who did the Levi jeans commercials on television and whose work is known to millions, did the one that's been accepted -- the skating speeding over the word Canuck. It has motion and style. It's pop art, sure, but we don't mind the term. Pop simply means popular, doesn't it?"... Beyl and Boyd had two three-hour sessions with the Canuck directors outlining the new color scheme.

It must have been fun explaining that there were other colors besides red, blue and dollar green... But the job is done -- a job so radical that the patterns had to be made by a flag-manufacturing company and the actual uniforms will be made by firms new to hockey because the old firms aren't geared to handle them... "The fans will love them," Boyd said... And they will -- if somebody in them can win.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, Brouhaha said:

Kind of random but I came across this photo of GM Place before a game in 1997, and as you can see on the railings it looks like they had our current home logo as a graphic even back then. Maybe this was already news but I never noticed that before, haha. 

GM_Place_1997.jpg

I'm pretty sure thats just a black and white rendition of the logo from the era.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm pretty sure thats just a black and white rendition of the logo from the era.

You could be right.  But the logo of that era had a blue tail, so the black and white version wouldn't have a white tail, if that makes sense? I'm not sure though, just thought it was interesting. 

1 minute ago, Brouhaha said:

You could be right.  But the logo of that era had a blue tail, so the black and white version wouldn't have a white tail, if that makes sense? I'm not sure though, just thought it was interesting. 

The shade of blue was neither particularly bright nor dark, so i think inverting it could have gone either way, in this case white.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, morgo said:

The single biggest mistake of the entire Canuck's uniform history was made here.  If we didn't ditch the beautiful and unique blue, green and white palette, we wouldn't have the identity issues we have today.  Even a brief dalliance with maroon, navy, sky blue and silver could be forgiven as long as the original colours were eventually restored.

Pretty much this. Other teams may have also made mistakes with their jerseys but at least most of them took 20+ years before they tried to change, giving themselves an established identity beforehand. 8 years was just not enough time for that to happen which caused the controversy in my opinion.

19 hours ago, morgo said:

The single biggest mistake of the entire Canuck's uniform history was made here.  If we didn't ditch the beautiful and unique blue, green and white palette, we wouldn't have the identity issues we have today.  Even a brief dalliance with maroon, navy, sky blue and silver could be forgiven as long as the original colours were eventually restored.

Also, if we didn't ditch the original Stick in Rink, there most likely wouldn't be an orca logo to come along and complicate the Canucks' identity.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Also, if we didn't ditch the original Stick in Rink, there most likely wouldn't be an orca logo to come along and complicate the Canucks' identity.

I think the Orca would still happen in 97 but it likely wouldn't be around today.  We'd probably have seen the re-introduction of the Stick and Rink to coincide with the 2007 redesign.

2 hours ago, IRR said:

Added to my collection.....not sure what all the hate is about, although people are entitled to their opinion. Maybe I just don’t understand the extreme difference in opinion. Dislike...sure, hate...I don’t understand it. I liked it upon release, really liked it after taking it in for a day and love it now that I have one. I think it’ll grow on people, especially when you see Petey, Boeser & Hughes etc wearing them. 

56FDF0BD-7FE5-476B-B638-87AD3CFEFA21.jpeg

Will be ordering my Hughes one next month. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Will be ordering my Hughes one next month. 

Awesome!!! That’ll be a real nice jersey! I have Hughes (home), Petey (home), Boeser (Away) & Horvat (Away)...plus the others I collected over the years (Bure / Luongo). I always ask for money for gifts (eg. Birthdays) and use it towards jerseys, otherwise I could never afford them. Lol! 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, IRR said:

Added to my collection.....not sure what all the hate is about, although people are entitled to their opinion. Maybe I just don’t understand the extreme difference in opinion. Dislike...sure, hate...I don’t understand it. I liked it upon release, really liked it after taking it in for a day and love it now that I have one. I think it’ll grow on people, especially when you see Petey, Boeser & Hughes etc wearing them. 

When I first saw it, I was a HUGE fan of it. After picking one up, I didn't think I could like it anymore than I already did, but I do! Love the throwback 70's look with a little bit of a modern touch to it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IRR said:

Wasnt a fan on release day.

Love them now and plan on getting one.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, IRR said:

It's grown on me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1