The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks reveal new jerseys for 50th season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Buffalo made a radical change about 25 years after their first year, the same as the Canucks. They switched from the Blue and Gold to the Black and Red and a complete logo change. I actually didn't mind those Buffalo jerseys. But then they had the same identity issues, they tried the slug with their original colors and then eventually went back to a modern version of their original look. Which is pretty good.

I think the Canucks needed to follow this framework. They needed to either go to a modernized version of the original jersey (or the original altogether) in dark and white. Or they needed to do a fan-vote and maybe go to the black and red skate logo in dark and white. The problem I have is they're trying to "marry" all these looks together, and it just doesn't work. The orca logo, while not terrible in my opinion, should be scrapped. It's had a 20 year run, but I really don't think it's as popular as the stick n' rink or the skate logo. 

Just pick one look, and stick with it. Have the fans vote on it! But that'll probably never happen.

• Upvote 3

Ironic they make a kids lacrosse team turn in their uniforms last spring to the team which featured a Johnny Canuck crest with a lacrosse stick in their hands instead of a hockey stick. And then they don't come out with an alternate third jersey in a Johnny Canuck mode? Seriously? Could've sworn a JC jersey was in the works after this happened but nope! Could've drafted Podkolzin at the draft and put a new Johnny Canuck alternate third jersey on him and it would've been a hit! Especially with the kids watching. They'd have sold a bunch of them JC jerseys had they done it on draft night but seeing the marketing department is totally clueless when it comes to these things! The kids and the public viewing on TV's would've loved to have seen a new JC jersey in a rebrand. Dumb and dumber part 2, I rest my case, later haters!

nux-lacrosse.jpg

lacrosse-jersey-e1534635568730.jpg

s-l500.png

1003-spencerknight-van.png

Edited by vancouverbucsfan
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

Just got the heritage EP jersey. The details on the lettering and stitching are nice.  Not the prettiest Nux jersey, but distinctive and certainly old school. A mix of ugly Xmas sweater crossed with old hockey sweaters. But being 50th season and a diehard Nux fan, I got it. I hesitated on the 40th jersey when it came out, which like the 50th in that I didn't think it was great at first but grew on me over time.  By the time I wanted it, it was all sold out in the stores and was only available on ebay with ridiculous mark up.  

Will get the skate jersey later, either Bo or BB. 

IMG_20190711_162641.jpg

IMG_20190711_161713.jpg

IMG_20190711_161658.jpg

IMG_20190711_161747.jpg

IMG_20190711_161723.jpg

IMG_20190712_002413.jpg

IMG_20190712_002552.jpg

IMG_20190712_003326.jpg

IMG_20190712_003217.jpg

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1

On 7/12/2019 at 5:28 AM, HockeyHarry said:

I can’t Believe it but the 3rd jersey is starting to grow on me. I hated it at first but I’m getting use too it.

Looks better every time I see it.  The lack of white on the striping was troubling at first but now I see it with the numbers I see a perfectly balanced uniform.

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:52 PM, morgo said:

Looks better every time I see it.  The lack of white on the striping was troubling at first but now I see it with the numbers I see a perfectly balanced uniform.

The blue band between the green stripes on both the sleeves and on bottom of the jersey is actually a raised thick strip of fabric stitched in. In real life it looks better. 

IMG_20190718_032850.jpg

IMG_20190718_033134.jpg

IMG_20190718_032438.jpg

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/15/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jaimito said:

The blue band between the green stripes on both the sleeves and on bottom of the jersey is actually a raised thick strip of fabric stitched in. In real life it looks better. 

Meh

i would prefer a raised white stripe 

looks like we cheaped out on colour 

On 7/12/2019 at 2:05 PM, CanuckGAME said:

Worst jerseys I've ever seen.  This is a professional sports franchise. Not a beer league team.

yes, not imaginative like aqualini. he took the vancouver off the existing jersey for 50th. wow

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, granpappy said:

yes, not imaginative like aqualini. he took the vancouver off the existing jersey for 50th. wow

That was the only glaring flaw the jersey had ;).  They also improved the shoulder patch.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, granpappy said:

Dont need to do many tweaks to something that is basically perfect.

Keep cheerleading for your cartoon character though.  That's super imaginative.  A cartoon lumberjack.:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

actually, if we were renamed the killer whales and managed an upgraded logo similar to the way the seahawk's logo changed and if we blacked out one of the whale's teeth and added some black and mabbe some seafoam green and got rid of the sir shoulder patches and mabbe added some seaweed patches up there, i could prolly get on board with that sort a thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5

On 7/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, Jaimito said:

Just got the heritage EP jersey. The details on the lettering and stitching are nice.  Not the prettiest Nux jersey, but distinctive and certainly old school. A mix of ugly Xmas sweater crossed with old hockey sweaters. But being 50th season and a diehard Nux fan, I got it. I hesitated on the 40th jersey when it came out, which like the 50th in that I didn't think it was great at first but grew on me over time.  By the time I wanted it, it was all sold out in the stores and was only available on ebay with ridiculous mark up.  

Will get the skate jersey later, either Bo or BB. 

IMG_20190711_162641.jpg

IMG_20190711_161713.jpg

IMG_20190711_161658.jpg

IMG_20190711_161747.jpg

IMG_20190711_161723.jpg

IMG_20190712_002413.jpg

IMG_20190712_002552.jpg

IMG_20190712_003326.jpg

IMG_20190712_003217.jpg