The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomical sightings thread

Kragar

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Astronomy > Astrology. 

Stargazing is real, astrology is not. 

I didn't put my real birthday in my profile, shocker right... But I, like @brilac, was born on a cusp and therefore my sign means absolutely less of nothing than anyone else's.

Side note - when the zodiak was created we (humans) based it on a 360 day year, so you're actually a Capricorn. Sorry champ!

I like to read both horoscopes, and sort it all out.  Like a Taurus, I can be stubborn.  

I’m more of an astrophysics nut, but I love looking out at the stars and trying to find constellations, although I’m not good at it and forget what each one is :P.

I’ve actually been meaning to make an all encompassing space thread where anything from astrophysics, to astronomy, to even astrology can be discussed and debated by those knowledgeable and those who aren’t as much. Thoughts on the idea? 

46 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I’m more of an astrophysics nut, but I love looking out at the stars and trying to find constellations, although I’m not good at it and forget what each one is :P.

I’ve actually been meaning to make an all encompassing space thread where anything from astrophysics, to astronomy, to even astrology can be discussed and debated by those knowledgeable and those who aren’t as much. Thoughts on the idea? 

IIRC, a friend of mine has an app, using GPS and the positioning of your phone, it will tell you what constellation you are aiming at.  Pretty cool, if I am remembering it right.

I can recognize a few.  They can be fun to seek out.

Went to Lassen National Park a few years back (northern CA, nearish Reno) and we went at night to star gaze.  So insanely clear and dark, there were so many starts that it made it harder to see constellations, since there was so much "clutter".  Great times!

There are star maps that will help you find them too, some pretty low cost.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Stamkos said:

I like it. I try to follow this stuff in the news as much as I have time for. From the first "photograph" of a black hole earlier this year to this mass in the moon thing, it's been fun lately. Unfortunately however, I haven't had much time lately to look into anything not making major headlines lately. <_<

8 hours ago, Kragar said:

IIRC, a friend of mine has an app, using GPS and the positioning of your phone, it will tell you what constellation you are aiming at.  Pretty cool, if I am remembering it right.

I can recognize a few.  They can be fun to seek out.

Went to Lassen National Park a few years back (northern CA, nearish Reno) and we went at night to star gaze.  So insanely clear and dark, there were so many starts that it made it harder to see constellations, since there was so much "clutter".  Great times!

There are star maps that will help you find them too, some pretty low cost.

I used one of these a couple years ago. Went to a small park near my place with my girl in the middle of the night and laid out a blanket and just poked around the sky for a while. Found a bunch of different constellations and names of a few different stars; It was really fun (and she quite dug it as a date idea — heads up fellas). Would definitely recommend giving it a try.

One day when I have more time and live in a place maybe less light polluted I would really love to get a telescope and get into actual stargazing — instead of cheating off an iPhone app. :lol:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gäz said:

I like it. I try to follow this stuff in the news as much as I have time for. From the first "photograph" of a black hole earlier this year to this mass in the moon thing, it's been fun lately. Unfortunately however, I haven't had much time lately to look into anything not making major headlines lately. <_<

I used one of these a couple years ago. Went to a small park near my place with my girl in the middle of the night and laid out a blanket and just poked around the sky for a while. Found a bunch of different constellations and names of a few different stars; It was really fun (and she quite dug it as a date idea — heads up fellas). Would definitely recommend giving it a try.

One day when I have more time and live in a place maybe less light polluted I would really love to get a telescope and get into actual stargazing — instead of cheating off an iPhone app. :lol:

I got to use a telescope once.  Not sure how powerful it was, but it was good enough that you could see that Saturn had rings on it.  I was a little disappointed at the lack of detail, but still cool for a first time.  Nothing to compare it to except professional pictures from far better 'scopes, and that's not a fair comparison.  It also could be programmed to find and track any object (star, planet, our moon) that was in the sky.  FYI, careful looking at the moon on a telescope... it's pretty bright!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I got to use a telescope once.  Not sure how powerful it was, but it was good enough that you could see that Saturn had rings on it.  I was a little disappointed at the lack of detail, but still cool for a first time.  Nothing to compare it to except professional pictures from far better 'scopes, and that's not a fair comparison.  It also could be programmed to find and track any object (star, planet, our moon) that was in the sky.  FYI, careful looking at the moon on a telescope... it's pretty bright!

My 12th grade year in highscool there was an Astronomy course that counted as a science 12 credit, so I jumped on it (it was the only year they ended up offering it :lol:). Once we went up to the roof in the middle of the day (:picard:) with a telescope and looked at the moon; I remember it certainly was bright. :lol: Although the weather was fighting us a bit. I think the exercise was more about learning how to use the telescope vs. anything we could try to see in the middle of the day. It was a while ago now, memory's a bit fuzzy.

• Haha 1

Principal Meteor Showers
SHOWER BEST VIEWING POINT OF ORIGIN DATE OF MAXIMUM* NO. PER HOUR** ASSOCIATED COMET
Quadrantid Predawn N Jan. 4 25
Lyrid Predawn S Apr. 22 10 Thatcher
Eta Aquarid Predawn SE May 4 10 Halley
Delta Aquarid Predawn S July 30 10
Perseid Predawn NE Aug. 11–13 50 Swift-Tuttle
Draconid Late evening NW Oct. 9 6 Giacobini-Zinner
Orionid Predawn S Oct. 21–22 15 Halley
Taurid Late evening S Nov. 9 3 Encke
Leonid Predawn S Nov. 17–18 10 Tempel-Tuttle
Andromedid Late evening S Nov. 25–27 5 Biela
Geminid All night NE Dec. 13–14 75
Ursid Predawn N Dec. 22 5 Tuttle
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 9:07 PM, luckylager said:

Astronomy > Astrology. 

Stargazing is real, astrology is not. 

I didn't put my real birthday in my profile, shocker right... But I, like @brilac, was born on a cusp and therefore my sign means absolutely less of nothing than anyone else's.

Side note - when the zodiak was created we (humans) based it on a 360 day year, so you're actually a Capricorn. Sorry champ!

My psychic tells me that astrology is for the gullible.

• Haha 1

I'm so pissed... it's not looking good for me to be able to witness the conjunction.  June is a particularly cloudy month here in Southern CA, especially mornings and evenings, and the past few days have lived up to that.

Today will have the closest conjunction... hope others out there have better luck than I'm having.  Maybe weather will cooperate later in the week.

36 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I'm so pissed... it's not looking good for me to be able to witness the conjunction.  June is a particularly cloudy month here in Southern CA, especially mornings and evenings, and the past few days have lived up to that.

Today will have the closest conjunction... hope others out there have better luck than I'm having.  Maybe weather will cooperate later in the week.

Can't you drive up into the mountains, and get above the valley clouds?  I remember living up in our Okanagan valley, and it was terrible in in winters.  Had to get over 2000 feet in elevation to see the sun.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can't you drive up into the mountains, and get above the valley clouds?  I remember living up in our Okanagan valley, and it was terrible in in winters.  Had to get over 2000 feet in elevation to see the sun.  

The mountains aren't close enough for me for that to be feasible.  Not sure if the local ones are high enough, too.  Interesting idea, though :) 

Got to see the conjunction, but just barely.  Hazy, with intermittent clouds, but caught a quick glimpse.  Kinda cool, but wish I got a better view.

Would have helped if the direction I was looking at was not part of the LAX flight path.  Damn planes kept messing me up.

19 hours ago, gurn said:

The vid was talking about planets, and Pluto no longer belongs in that category. :(

well I strongly disagree, as do many others. that's point lol

I wrote a kids book about it ...should get it pulbished

• Upvote 2

On 6/19/2019 at 9:26 AM, nucklehead said:

well I strongly disagree, as do many others. that's point lol

I wrote a kids book about it ...should get it pulbished

How can you disagree?

What mo'&^@#in planet has an elliptical orbit?