Sign in to follow this  
Kragar

Astronomical sightings thread

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 6:44 PM, falcon45ca said:

How can you disagree?

What mo'&^@#in planet has an elliptical orbit? 

It's not about elliptical orbit. It's about the size of the planet that makes it classified as a "dwarf planet".

Technically all planets have elliptical orbits due to gravity. They aren't circular. Much like how earth isn't a perfect sphere also due to gravity.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

It's not about elliptical orbit. It's about the size of the planet that makes it classified as a "dwarf planet".

Technically all planets have elliptical orbits due to gravity. They aren't circular. Much like how earth isn't a perfect sphere also due to gravity.

There are many factors that play into the "downsizing" of Pluto's planet status, and yes it's highly elliptical orbit did play a factor.

For crying out loud there are times it's closer to the sun than Venus

On 6/19/2019 at 7:26 AM, nucklehead said:

well I strongly disagree, as do many others. that's point lol

I wrote a kids book about it ...should get it pulbished

The problem with Pluto being a planet is that, if Pluto is a planet, then we likely have 100's, possibly 1000's of planets orbiting the sun. Pluto is considered to be of the same materials of the other objects in the Kuiper Belt; therefore, it is classified as such.

Not only that, but if Pluto is to be classified as a planet, I could argue that it shouldn't be the 9th planet but the 10th planet. Ceres is a round dwarf planet in the asteroid belt not that much smaller than Pluto.

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

There are many factors that play into the "downsizing" of Pluto's planet status, and yes it's highly elliptical orbit did play a factor.

For crying out loud there are times it's closer to the sun than Venus

Where did you read that Pluto's been closer to the sun than Venus? Can you provide proof of this? It can get closer than Nepture, but Venus seemed extremely far fetched.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Where did you read that Pluto's been closer to the sun than Venus? Can you provide proof of this? It can get closer than Nepture, but Venus seemed extremely far fetched.

Perhaps I've mixed the 2 up, my head been up my anus for some time now

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

You should get that checked out. Your axis might be tilted on it's side.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

We refer to that as your Perigee

• Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

You should get that checked out. Your axis might be tilted on it's side.

I like to think it's in retrograde 

• Hydration 2

There's a free app called star tracker that let's you figure out where stuff is (planets, constellations, etc.)

Even in the city you can see the planets pretty good with a cheap telescope. Not a big challenge to see the rings of saturn or the four gallien moons around Jupiter. I have gotten good enough resolution on Jupiter on very cheap $120 telescope like....

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/celestron-celestron-explorascope-70az-telescope-22101/10450224

(And that's just me finding a model. You can probably get it cheaper on sale.

In fact even with binoculars you might be able to see the moon of Jupiter right now.

You don't even need anything better than that to see some of the galaxies. In fact they are very big and you only use the lowest maginification to see them. But you need it to be very dark. Alas, right now, there's nowhere in Western Canada that gets dark enough right now, or even for a while. Check out timeanddate.com to figure out whether your still dealing with twilight that makes it hard to see stuff like that. (You can only see some planets, specifically Venus and Mercury, during twilight). So planets are pretty easy (up to Saturn, you might luck into finding Neptune, but it will just be a blue dot).

It's fun zooming into the moon just to see how fast it really is moving! (Don't both pointing out the obvious know it alls...)

Happy hunting!

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

There's a free app called star tracker that let's you figure out where stuff is (planets, constellations, etc.)

Even in the city you can see the planets pretty good with a cheap telescope. Not a big challenge to see the rings of saturn or the four gallien moons around Jupiter. I have gotten good enough resolution on Jupiter on very cheap $120 telescope like....

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/celestron-celestron-explorascope-70az-telescope-22101/10450224

(And that's just me finding a model. You can probably get it cheaper on sale.

In fact even with binoculars you might be able to see the moon of Jupiter right now.

You don't even need anything better than that to see some of the galaxies. In fact they are very big and you only use the lowest maginification to see them. But you need it to be very dark. Alas, right now, there's nowhere in Western Canada that gets dark enough right now, or even for a while. Check out timeanddate.com to figure out whether your still dealing with twilight that makes it hard to see stuff like that. (You can only see some planets, specifically Venus and Mercury, during twilight). So planets are pretty easy (up to Saturn, you might luck into finding Neptune, but it will just be a blue dot).

It's fun zooming into the moon just to see how fast it really is moving! (Don't both pointing out the obvious know it alls...)

Happy hunting!

I despise Best Buy, but I didn't want to keep that to keep me from plussing you :) 

I remember seeing the moons of Jupiter with binocs years ago, was fun.

Good info, thanks for sharing!!

Speaking of too close to the sun....

Doesn't Mercury's orbit have a time dilation? that's some neat stuff right there. 

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Speaking of too close to the sun....

Doesn't Mercury's orbit have a time dilation? that's some neat stuff right there. 

From what I understand, for that to happen the sun would have to be much more massive like a black hole. I can't say I'm an expert on that though.

54 minutes ago, The Lock said:

From what I understand, for that to happen the sun would have to be much more massive like a black hole. I can't say I'm an expert on that though.

I googled it when I saw Bishop's post, and it looks like it is true, but barely noticeable.  Still kinda cool.

Maybe the Voyage Home is a possibility ::D

• Haha 1

Tonight, 10/3, an hour after sunset for best visibility, the moon and Jupiter are having a conjunction.  They were reasonable close last month, but this one is much better!