The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

Just now, stawns said:

Sorry, his numbers don't support your claims.  He is a decent to good 4th line option if they can't move him.  Obviously he doesn't have and automatic spot and has to outperform other guys for that role, but he is capable of playing well.

The problem is you're advocating giving a guy who publicly whined about being a 3rd liner a 4th line role. Just because he has the ability to do the job doesn't mean he's willing to actually do it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

His contract should be terminated based on his performance... However, if you are not performing well, complaining about the coach's usage of you, won't help your cause.

If he was/is interested in staying in Vancouver, he could and maybe should just have said thing weren't going to plan, but hopefully they would improve.

If he think he's been playing well enough, then he is as delusional at Timraafan (Eriksson mother).

To me, it sounds like he was just giving an honest answer when asked a direct question.  All he said was that he and TG don't see eye to eye on everything, why is that so bad?  Scotty Bowman, one of the greatest coached of all time, was publically despised by almost every player he ever coached, but especially during the Canadians dynasty in the 70's.  It's simply a nothing issue for the guys in the dressing room.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The problem is you're advocating giving a guy who publicly whined about being a 3rd liner a 4th line role. Just because he has the ability to do the job doesn't mean he's willing to actually do it. 

No he didn't.  It was an interview........questions are asked and answers are given, that's how it works.  

Can you quote where you think he whined?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

No he didn't.  It was an interview........questions are asked and answers are given, that's how it works.  

Can you quote where you think he whined?

"Like I said, I've played in a defensive role all season and I haven't had much ice time. Of course, it's boring for that matter"

Doesn't sound like a guy who understands he has played himself out of a top six role and is lucky to be allowed on the ice at all.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hockeysverige.se%2F2019%2F05%2F02%2Floui-eriksson-om-tuffa-tiden-i-vancouver-jag-och-tranaren-gar-inte-riktigt-hundra

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

"Like I said, I've played in a defensive role all season and I haven't had much ice time. Of course, it's boring for that matter"

Doesn't sound like a guy who understands he has played himself out of a top six role and is lucky to be allowed on the ice at all.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hockeysverige.se%2F2019%2F05%2F02%2Floui-eriksson-om-tuffa-tiden-i-vancouver-jag-och-tranaren-gar-inte-riktigt-hundra

That's what you're basing your hatred on?  Oy.

To say nothing of the "Google translate" aspect of this whole ridiculous issue.  Move on

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's what you're basing your hatred on?  Oy.

To say nothing of the "Google translate" aspect of this whole ridiculous issue.  Move on

I picked out one of the more egregious quotes.  I basically consider about half of that interview acceptable.  Borderline 4th liners need to keep their mouths shut about the guy who distributes the ice time.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Did you actually read it? Its a giant nothing. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I picked out one of the more egregious quotes.  I basically consider about half of that interview acceptable.  Borderline 4th liners need to keep their mouths shut about the guy who distributes the ice time.

You've got a very low bar for "egregious" behaviour.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You've got a very low bar for "egregious" behaviour.

Maybe so, but as far as I'm concerned that's grossly unprofessional behaviour considering the coach had gone to bat for you with the media despite you playing like a steaming turd.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it'd be best if both parties were able to move on, but realistically that may not happen. In fact I'm expecting him to be at camp. 

Loui hasn't lived up to his contract and his cap hit and term are more problematic than we'd like, but I wouldn't call him a cancer either. We're not the only team with an anchor.

I still like the idea of flipping him for Backes if at all possible. Backes would be easier to buy out. Loui had success in Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if Boston wasn't interested though. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Eriksson would have a damn tough time  proving he's a better option than anyone in Utica.    How many guys do they have down their who won't hit, score, skate, or keep their mouths shut?  In addition, the AHL has a veteran limit so he would have to prove he's a better option than their vets, not the whole team.  He won't be able to do that to the satisfaction of a competent arbitrator.

Clearly you do not know what you are talking about re the bolded.  :picard:

I want Loui gone as much as anyone. But saying he wouldn't be the best AHL player on a team is something only someone completely ignorant about how to judge hockey talent would type.  :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

To me, it sounds like he was just giving an honest answer when asked a direct question.  All he said was that he and TG don't see eye to eye on everything, why is that so bad?  Scotty Bowman, one of the greatest coached of all time, was publically despised by almost every player he ever coached, but especially during the Canadians dynasty in the 70's.  It's simply a nothing issue for the guys in the dressing room.

Stawns there’s nothing wrong about giving an honest answer.... if you are delivering. 

Thats the sticky part. If you are not delivering, I think most Coaches will find it hard to accept you going public with anything be it big or small. 

Personaly I could care less what he’s been saying, if he was scoring 30+ goals a season and playing with fire in his belly. I personally think you do yourself no favours going public with anything to do with your superiors in any walk of life. 

If Henrik Sedin in 2011 had said he and AV didn’t see eye to eye and that AV didn’t have the trust in him, nobody would have battered an eyelid or possibly said AV should be on his bike. 

However, in these times of cap, where every dollars count, he hasn’t been performing up to his cap hit. I restate, he did not give himself 6 million, so this is on Benning, but for what he brings, we can find cheaper options within the squad and from players, who is still developing. 

Thus and therefore I think all parties would be better of if they found a future without LE in Vancouver. 

Whether that’ll be possible remains to be  seen, but realistically if the choice is between LE and Goldie for a 3rd or 4th line defensive and PK spot, Green would still choose LE no matter, what he said, as he wants to win. 

But this does not seem to be the only choices any longer, as there are several quality players fighting for spots... and all at a far lower cap hit. 

This is what I think will happen. Benning will actively try to off load Eriksson as that would solve all cap issues for him in one go. 

If he can’t, which is very likely, Green and LE will sit down, have a cup of coffee and discuss, how they utilise LE better. 

Green will tell him, that he is a valued member of the squad, but unless he starts to put the puck in the net at a more regularly pace, he will have to continue playing him, as he have been.

Reality of hockey is you earn your ice time.

And then they will just have to make the best out of the situation. 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Clearly you do not know what you are talking about re the bolded.  :picard:

I want Loui gone as much as anyone. But saying he wouldn't be the best AHL player on a team is something only someone completely ignorant about how to judge hockey talent would type.  :frantic:

He has the talent to,; I just doubt he would try hard enough.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think it'd be best if both parties were able to move on, but realistically that may not happen. In fact I'm expecting him to be at camp. 

Loui hasn't lived up to his contract and his cap hit and term are more problematic than we'd like, but I wouldn't call him a cancer either. We're not the only team with an anchor.

I still like the idea of flipping him for Backes if at all possible. Backes would be easier to buy out. Loui had success in Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if Boston wasn't interested though. 

I’m actually surprised Boston didn’t just buyout Backes. They probably do it next Summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Not sure how anyone can argue with you past this post.  100% agree with you. 

8 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Not sure how anyone can argue with you past this post.  100% agree with you. 

Because everything Eriksson said was true? I cant understand how people think he was saying anything bad about Green. He wasnt. He was explaining from his own perspective the frustration of not being trusted and used in the role he feels he should be.

Dont believe me? Lets see what Jim Benning had to say about it:

"I think his comments, I don't think they were as egregious as people think," Benning said. "He is just trying to be honest with the situation, but we had a really good conversation and that will stay between Loui and I and we will continue to talk and work things out." 

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Because everything Eriksson said was true? I cant understand how people think he was saying anything bad about Green. He wasnt. He was explaining from his own perspective the frustration of not being trusted and used in the role he feels he should be.

Dont believe me? Lets see what Jim Benning had to say about it:

"I think his comments, I don't think they were as egregious as people think," Benning said. "He is just trying to be honest with the situation, but we had a really good conversation and that will stay between Loui and I and we will continue to talk and work things out." 

Lol. Because everything benning said was true ?  And who would be responsible for not trusting him or "using him in the role he thinks he should be"? Travis freakin green no? Who else would he be talking about ? Did he say he was frustrated with himself for not earning the trust of the head coach regardless of the ample opportunity he was given? No he said " the coach and him did not see eye to eye.  Ya no friggin wonder they didnt . Green played him with everyone but Trevor Linden trying to get the guy to do something worth even close to 6 million. He had half a season with two of the most point inflating players of all time and still did absolutey nothing.  Then proved on the second line it wasnt the sedins fault he was useless....... 

U dont think Benning was trying to do what most gm s would do a temper the distraction.....Especially when he is now pretty much forced to trade the bum! . You read from that quote Benning agree s with that idiot ? He had more rope than most top six forwards have had sinse i can remember.  They used him in an offensive role until erriksson litterally gave green no choice . 

There is nothing about that quote that says benning agreed with his comments.  Nothing.  What did u expect the GM that signed him to say while still strapped with his horrible contract? " ya we gave the guy plenty of minutes with every offensive player we had and simply found he sucked " ...lol . Give ur head a shake   

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I’m actually surprised Boston didn’t just buyout Backes. They probably do it next Summer.

Backes' buyout cap hit is 5.6M cap hit this season.  Would be more expensive cap wise to buy him out and add a F to replace him.

47 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. Because everything benning said was true ?  And who would be responsible for not trusting him or "using him in the role he thinks he should be"? Travis freakin green no? Who else would he be talking about ? Did he say he was frustrated with himself for not earning the trust of the head coach regardless of the ample opportunity he was given? No he said " the coach and him did not see eye to eye.  Ya no friggin wonder they didnt . Green played him with everyone but Trevor Linden trying to get the guy to do something worth even close to 6 million. He had half a season with two of the most point inflating players of all time and still did absolutey nothing.  Then proved on the second line it wasnt the sedins fault he was useless....... 

U dont think Benning was trying to do what most gm s would do a temper the distraction.....Especially when he is now pretty much forced to trade the bum! . You read from that quote Benning agree s with that idiot ? He had more rope than most top six forwards have had sinse i can remember.  They used him in an offensive role until erriksson litterally gave green no choice . 

There is nothing about that quote that says benning agreed with his comments.  Nothing.  What did u expect the GM that signed him to say while still strapped with his horrible contract? " ya we gave the guy plenty of minutes with every offensive player we had and simply found he sucked " ...lol . Give ur head a shake   

Benning is a pretty straight shooter. He doesnt really fluff situations up. He just gives his opinion. 

I never said he sgreed with him or didnt. I said he was saying that Eriksson was giving his own opinion.

People need to separate the real reasons to dislike Eriksson from the manufactured ones. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Benning is a pretty straight shooter. He doesnt really fluff situations up. He just gives his opinion. 

I never said he sgreed with him or didnt. I said he was saying that Eriksson was giving his own opinion.

People need to separate the real reasons to dislike Eriksson from the manufactured ones. 

Agreed, I have no issues with people being upset about his play, though it's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be.  But to try and turn a harmless quote from a Swedish interview (using Google translate at that) into some kind of cancer spread through the dressing room is ridiculous.

• Cheers 1