The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

11 hours ago, KirkSave said:

You know that when 'noodles' from TSN  calls out your play and says it like it is, tis a bad omen for that player.

Noodles is usually the happiest, most optimistic, upbeat guy on their crew! Have a listen.

TSN and Sportsnet have largely been anti-management, it definitely isn't a good sign when they are defending management/coaching. Lol.

• Cheers 3

On 8/7/2019 at 10:30 PM, Googlie said:

Ok - some fun facts on LE's penalty killing efforts.....

In the 3 years since he has been here, what penalty killing forward (Sutter, Horvat, Granlund and Eriksson) has the most PK blocked shots per 100 mins pking?

If you guessed LE, you were right!!!   

(Last season, although Motte had more in total,  (8 in 96 mins vs Motte's 10 in 126 mins) Loui blocked a shot every 12 mins, versus Motte's every 12.6 minutes)

***************************************************************************************

Among those same 4 forwards, who had fewest PK giveaways? - yes, Eriksson

and who had most takeaways while penalty killing?  (Sutter, with 18 in 423 minutes, followed by Eriksson with 14 in 303)

With enough digging you can almost always find a positive about a player. That said those stats above are nice, but aren't expected to be his best stat line for a player making 6m.

Basically, the LE experiment was an epic flop. Euro ice is bigger when LE and Sedins had success add to that they were younger too! It was just a horrible contract to hand out by us for a rebuilding team. Half way through it now, 3 years left to go...

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

With enough digging you can almost always find a positive about a player. That said those stats above are nice, but aren't expected to be his best stat line for a player making 6m.

Basically, the LE experiment was an epic flop. Euro ice is bigger when LE and Sedins had success add to that they were younger too! It was just a horrible contract to hand out by us for a rebuilding team. Half way through it now, 3 years left to go...

Exactly!   If his cap hit were the same as, say, Beagle's, with comparable PK numbers (except, ofc, faceoffs), it might be justifiable, given that he can pop 10 goals and 20 assists, but at $6 million he is an extravagant anchor weighing the team down.  But he is a proud man, and apparently a fitness fanatic, so may surprise us all yet (somewhere else?)

• Upvote 1

People can go on about Eriksson's comments being blown out of proportion - and that is and has very likely been the case - but it remains that there is more to this than mere misinterpretations / poor translation / things being  blown out of proportion.

It remains that Eriksson's agent also made the following comments - publicly...

"For a lot of hockey seasons, it might be better for Loui to play somewhere else..."

J.P Barry with thoughts on Loui Eriksson's future with the @Canucks

LISTEN: https://t.co/mDLZc4njsd pic.twitter.com/kTG2ZPZsrv

— Sportsnet 650 (@Sportsnet650) June 14, 2019

A really poor, miscalculated statement by Barry imo - not the kind of comments an agent representing an underperforming player -  with little leverage - and possibly as little or less demand on the market - ought to be making imo.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am convinced that his agent has found a deal to a team like Dallas that his client wants to go to (the agent said publicly that both sides were looking for options).... but that is likely a deal where the Canucks get hosed for assets or retained salary.  Now it is a game of who will blink first.

Yes, I think LE's people have found a deal to Dallas but JB doesn't like the deal, and JB has found another deal he would do, but LE is using his NTC clause to prevent the deal, given there is a recent report he is using the NTC to veto teams.

I don't like the idea of giving up any "sweeteners"(assets/pick) to get rid of him though. We're finally building up some nice depth. If Loui wants to dictate his destination, then he should get used to the idea that he may be waived and either go to Utica or to a team that is willing to pick him up on waivers(if one exists).

2 hours ago, aliboy said:

Yes, I think LE's people have found a deal to Dallas but JB doesn't like the deal, and JB has found another deal he would do, but LE is using his NTC clause to prevent the deal, given there is a recent report he is using the NTC to veto teams.

I have a feeling that this is exactly what's going on. Dallas can't take on Loui's cap hit without moving someone else and probably want the Canucks to add prospects and/or picks to get the deal done. Does anyone know if the Canucks and Loui can mutually terminate his contract? That may be the only way he ends up in Dallas.

19 minutes ago, audiodave said:

I have a feeling that this is exactly what's going on. Dallas can't take on Loui's cap hit without moving someone else and probably want the Canucks to add prospects and/or picks to get the deal done. Does anyone know if the Canucks and Loui can mutually terminate his contract? That may be the only way he ends up in Dallas.

They can, but I don't know if Loui would have any interest in that. He's a $1.5M player right now. Maybe $2M if he's lucky. He'd be leaving at least $3M on the table (over 3 years). Anything is possible though.

Edited by VIC_CITY

18 minutes ago, audiodave said:

Pretty sure Loui cannot play in the NHL for the term of the current contract if mutually terminated.  

• Cheers 2

On 8/9/2019 at 9:18 PM, Alflives said:

Pretty sure Loui cannot play in the NHL for the term of the current contract if mutually terminated.  

I vaguely remember there was a player in that situation... late 90’s? Early 2000’s? Redden? Kovalchuk? Don’t remember...

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I vaguely remember there was a player in that situation... late 90’s? Early 2000’s? Redden? Kovalchuk? Don’t remember...

Redden was buried in the minors as he wasn’t earning his flush contract in NYR, it’s the reason the league only allows up to 1 million of a cap hit regardless of salary so teams don’t start dumping underperforming players in the AHL and then go to the next free agent with another rich deal...called the Redden rule.  There would be quite a few former stars playing in the AHL right now if they didn’t plug that hole, including probably LE a year or so ago. 

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Me_ said:

You may be onto something with Kovalchuk. Just doing some digging around...NJ and Kovalchuk agreed to terminate his contract on the basis that he would retire from the NHL, but NJ would hold his rights until he was 35, at which point he could return with UFA status. I'm not sure how that works, as he was signed to a 15 year deal at the time. Maybe someone with more brain power than me can figure out these termination rules!

• Cheers 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:56 PM, oldnews said:

People can go on about Eriksson's comments being blown out of proportion - and that is and has very likely been the case - but it remains that there is more to this than mere misinterpretations / poor translation / things being  blown out of proportion.

It remains that Eriksson's agent also made the following comments - publicly...

"For a lot of hockey seasons, it might be better for Loui to play somewhere else..."

J.P Barry with thoughts on Loui Eriksson's future with the @Canucks

LISTEN: https://t.co/mDLZc4njsd pic.twitter.com/kTG2ZPZsrv

— Sportsnet 650 (@Sportsnet650) June 14, 2019

A really poor, miscalculated statement by Barry imo - not the kind of comments an agent representing an underperforming player -  with little leverage - and possibly as little or less demand on the market - ought to be making imo.

that "somewhere else," is utica baby lol

• Cheers 2

On 8/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, Provost said:

This does keep getting conveniently forgotten by some folks.  It wasn't just once either, Barry came on and did two different interviews saying that his client should be moved on.

That was what sealed it for me, I was on the fence after hearing the comments AND Loui not following up and walking back the comments or publicly saying they were taken out of context or exaggerated.

Clearly he wants out, he has moved his very young family out of town; he made public statements; he didn't qualify the statements when the media storm hit; he had his very experienced agent go onto different radio stations weeks apart saying that it would be best if his client was moved onwards.  It is only a minor step below a trade demand at that point.  Then there are several reports that he has exercised his no trade clause on more than one occasion on top of that.

Of course, it is all ludicrous considering how bad Loui has been and that no team in the league would pick him up if he hit waivers.  There is a complete disconnect between what Eriksson thinks his value is and what the rest of the hockey world does.

I am convinced that his agent has found a deal to a team like Dallas that his client wants to go to (the agent said publicly that both sides were looking for options).... but that is likely a deal where the Canucks get hosed for assets or retained salary.  Now it is a game of who will blink first.

It came after a lot of hate. So both the agent and Benning probably thought it was a good idea to send signals that Loui is available.

• Wat 2