The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Goldobin will be the 13th forward unless there are injuries.  Baertschi will most likely start on the 3rd line even though I prefer Leivo there.  But if healthy I'm assuming Baertschi will be given the chance to play on the top 3 lines.  I can see this lineup to start the year:

Ferland     Pettersson   Boeser

Miller         Horvat         Pearson

Baertschi   Sutter         Virtanen

Leivo         Beagle         Motte

Goldobin - 13th forward

Roussel - LTIR

Eriksson - waived (Utica)

Schaller - waived (Utica)

Of course injuries could change this, but barring that this is what I can see.  I'm sure Goldobin will get opportunities as the season progresses, and I'm sure Schaller, Eriksson, MacEwen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Rafferty and Brisebois will all get called up at some point.  We have very good depth this year as we will have NHL players playing in Utica as well as a few callups that are most likely NHL ready.  Benning's offseason acquisitions have given us the grit and the depth we need to make a real strong playoff push.  We have a shot at 3rd place in our division I think.

I know people think Pearson is a lock for top 6, but I doubt he stays there long, TG will go to Jake on Bo's right side early in the season, imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Goldobin will be the 13th forward unless there are injuries.  Baertschi will most likely start on the 3rd line even though I prefer Leivo there.  But if healthy I'm assuming Baertschi will be given the chance to play on the top 3 lines.  I can see this lineup to start the year:

Ferland     Pettersson   Boeser

Miller         Horvat         Pearson

Baertschi   Sutter         Virtanen

Leivo         Beagle         Motte

Goldobin - 13th forward

Roussel - LTIR

Eriksson - waived (Utica)

Schaller - waived (Utica)

Of course injuries could change this, but barring that this is what I can see.  I'm sure Goldobin will get opportunities as the season progresses, and I'm sure Schaller, Eriksson, MacEwen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Rafferty and Brisebois will all get called up at some point.  We have very good depth this year as we will have NHL players playing in Utica as well as a few callups that are most likely NHL ready.  Benning's offseason acquisitions have given us the grit and the depth we need to make a real strong playoff push.  We have a shot at 3rd place in our division I think.

This pretty much sums it up.  The only tweak I think is Baertschi and Pearson making it:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Leivo Beagle Motte

Goldobin

Goldobin steps in for injuries or lack of offence in the top 9.  Either way this is in the ballpark of what we will start with.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I know people think Pearson is a lock for top 6, but I doubt he stays there long, TG will go to Jake on Bo's right side early in the season, imo.

I think Pearson is more capable of playing a bottom 6 role than Goldobin or Jake. So if either have a good spring or start to the season, I'd expect then to get a look. The first 20 games of the season will tell Green all he needs to know. If Jake or Goldy take a big step forward this year, our roster is going to be DEEP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, stawns said:

Pearson played well with Horvat last year but I have to agree. It’s really nice looking at the depth and how some of those guys could play second or third line no problem. Injury hits and you move a guy up. Can’t remember the last time we had depth like this 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

While he's versatile and can easily do well on the third line, Pearson played very well with Bo at the tail end of the season.  I expect him to have that spot back unless he loses it.

he's not in a spot in this franchise where he has a spot that's his to lose.  RW on Bo's line is wide open, imo.

15 hours ago, stawns said:

he's not in a spot in this franchise where he has a spot that's his to lose.  RW on Bo's line is wide open, imo.

Fair enough.  And Pettersson isn't a lock for the top 6 until he shows in camp he still keeps it.  BUT, coach TG doesn't have a short memory.  He says he looks for guys who work well together and Pearson was as good as we could have expected with Bo.  Time will tell.....and perhaps Pearson gets outplayed in preseason.  But if not, I expect to see him playing with Bo for a decent amount.

• 2 weeks later...

So, if you look at the article about the possibility of Buff retiring, it specifically states that if he retires, his Cap hit would be removed from the team.

Remember, this is an option with Eriksson if he doesn't make the team. He's been paid the majority of his salary from this contract, he could just choose to retire from the NHL if no other teams are willing to pick him up and his other option is to go to Utica.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, if you look at the article about the possibility of Buff retiring, it specifically states that if he retires, his Cap hit would be removed from the team.

Remember, this is an option with Eriksson if he doesn't make the team. He's been paid the majority of his salary from this contract, he could just choose to retire from the NHL if no other teams are willing to pick him up and his other option is to go to Utica.

It's possible with a retire if Aquilini invest, not directly, in a swedish company associated with Loui...  But someone said it was highly forbidden. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

It's possible with a retire if Aquilini invest, not directly, in a swedish company associated with Loui...  But someone said it was highly forbidden. 

????

No idea quite what you're talking about. Why would Aquilini need to invest in a Swedish company?

If he retires from NHL, he could go and sign in SHL if he feels that he still has a couple of years left.

Yes, he would be walking away from 9 million over 3 years, but that's not that much money in this day and age. AHL is a rougher league, would be a harder toll on him, physically. Might not be something that he wants to do.

Remember, this is just speculation, but it could be an option.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

????

No idea quite what you're talking about. Why would Aquilini need to invest in a Swedish company?

If he retires from NHL, he could go and sign in SHL if he feels that he still has a couple of years left.

Yes, he would be walking away from 9 million over 3 years, but that's not that much money in this day and age. AHL is a rougher league, would be a harder toll on him, physically. Might not be something that he wants to do.

Remember, this is just speculation, but it could be an option.

An informal buyout... 

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yeah, don't see how that would work. Unless Loui has a specific and significant business idea.

I think if the NHL found out about that, we'd be looking at all kinds of penalties.

Never mind that he's basically been stealing from Aqua for the last three years. Something tells me he has little desire to help 'top him up'.

• Like 1