The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Baertschi has only played in 79 games over the last 2 years and couldn't finish out the year.  I don't think his market value is as high as you think. 

Basically the same games and points as Marcus Johansen over those 2 years. The market showed him to be worth 4.5mil x 2.

Baer at 3.36 x2 would be considered bargain.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Basically the same games and points as Marcus Johansen over those 2 years. The market showed him to be worth 4.5mil x 2.

Johansen previously has put up much better numbers, a 24 goal year and a 20 goal year and is a Stanley Cup champ.  He can also play centre so is a more versatile player and is 6'1" 205 pounds.  I don't believe he has concussions issues either.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Even still, his cap and term are low enough that he be a good gamble for another team (just as he is for us). He might not return much on trade but if you're aim is to clear cap/roster space, I don't think there's any need to retain.

Not saying we necessarily have to retain, if we don't all the better.  I'd just rather deal with this in the summer versus going into the season with Baertschi locked into our top 6 with no contingency plan if he gets injured again.  Leivo already has the 3rd line left wing role locked down, plus we still have Roussel whenever he comes back to play on the 3rd line as well.  We don't need Baertschi as a 3rd line winger, so if he can't play in our top 6 then we need to part ways with him.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Not saying we necessarily have to retain, if we don't all the better.  I'd just rather deal with this in the summer versus going into the season with Baertschi locked into our top 6 with no contingency plan if he gets injured again.  Leivo already has the 3rd line left wing role locked down.

I don't think Baer's at all locked in to a top 6 role. He's going to have to compete with Goldobin, Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette etc for that spot.

Rome doesn't need to be built in a day. 

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Johansen previously has put up much better numbers, a 24 goal year and a 20 goal year and is a Stanley Cup champ.  He can also play centre so is a more versatile player and is 6'1" 205 pounds.  I don't believe he has concussions issues either.  

Not sure where you got your info from but Johansson has had multiple concussions in his career.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I don't think Baer's at all locked in to a top 6 role. He's going to have to compete with Goldobin, Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette etc for that spot.

Rome doesn't need to be built in a day. 

I don’t think Benning’s plan is to have 3rd liners play with BO. I’m hoping he can figure it out and get another top 6 forward into the mix while keeping our 3rd line strong. Let’s see what he does.

A 3rd line of Leivo  Sutter  Virtanen would be ideal. Goldobin is basically insurance for injuries. Gaudette can start in Utica and move into the 3C when Sutter gets his next injury. Eriksson can ride the buses in Utica. So that leaves Basrtschi. Like I said I’d be hesitant to role with him as our top 6 winger with BO. I’d rather seek out other options while we can in the summer. If you think he can be traded with no salary retention then that would be the best case scenario for Benning. 

• Upvote 1

I can’t see how some people here are thinking LE will be riding busses at a 6M salary. The most the Canucks save is 1M off the cap space and like some have pointed out, that would be spent on a plug called up in his place. 

LE won’t retire either. That’s 3M per year paycheques he would be throwing away. There is no way he gets that anywhere, not in Europe nor in Russia. 

No one wants him so he can’t be traded. Even if we retain half his salary in a trade, todays NHL players at 3M are way better that LE.

As as much as I detest LE, I think this team is stuck with him unless we trade a bad contract for another bad one like Lucic. The hope in this move would be a resurgence in the players for both teams making the trade. I think this is the only realistic option.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think Benning’s plan is to have 3rd liners play with BO. I’m hoping he can figure it out and get another top 6 forward into the mix while keeping our 3rd line strong. Let’s see what he does.

A 3rd line of Leivo  Sutter  Virtanen would be ideal. Goldobin is basically insurance for injuries. Gaudette can start in Utica and move into the 3C when Sutter gets his next injury. Eriksson can ride the buses in Utica. So that leaves Basrtschi. Like I said I’d be hesitant to role with him as our top 6 winger with BO. I’d rather seek out other options while we can in the summer. If you think he can be traded with no salary retention then that would be the best case scenario for Benning. 

Who said anything about 3rd liners? Baer is very much a 2nd line player now as long as he's healthy. If one of those other guys earns that spot it would stand to reason they out played Baer for it. Which would make them...? ;)

By all means, I'm not opposed to trading him and replacing him as well, as per your outline there. I just don't think it's anything resembling emergent. It's a 'want', not a 'need'. We don't need to have our future, contending top 6 together before camp opens...or even this year. We have time to fill in that blank (which may already have been filled with 10th or 40th OA at this year's draft regardless). 

It's simply not a pressing concern IMO.

1 hour ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Wonder if there has been any discussion about loaning Eriksson to Europe? Chicago did that with Huet way back to get out from his contract. I believe we would negotiate a deal with a team where they take over a portion of his contract and we front the rest, but that would be a way around the mutual termination. Loui gets his money and we get rid of him and his cap hit. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/blackhawks/ct-xpm-2010-11-20-chi-101120-cristobal-huet-blackhawks-hersh-story,amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwj_yduVmKHjAhXvUN8KHUlnAngQFjACegQICBAI&usg=AOvVaw3GABueE3LTQNHA-3std1NG&ampcf=1

Enjoy the SHL Loui! :towel:

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I can’t see how some people here are thinking LE will be riding busses at a 6M salary. The most the Canucks save is 1M off the cap space and like some have pointed out, that would be spent on a plug called up in his place. 

While any cap savings would be nice if it can be arranged, if we're past that phase, simply opening the roster spot and doing away with his $6m arse is good enough.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Wonder if there has been any discussion about loaning Eriksson to Europe? Chicago did that with Huet way back to get out from his contract. I believe we would negotiate a deal with a team where they take over a portion of his contract and we front the rest, but that would be a way around the mutual termination. Loui gets his money and we get rid of him and his cap hit. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/blackhawks/ct-xpm-2010-11-20-chi-101120-cristobal-huet-blackhawks-hersh-story,amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwj_yduVmKHjAhXvUN8KHUlnAngQFjACegQICBAI&usg=AOvVaw3GABueE3LTQNHA-3std1NG&ampcf=1

That loophole was closed years ago....

Screenshot_20190706-165828_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Gaudette starts in the AHL I’ll eat my socks :emot-parrot:

11 hours ago, coryberg said:

Or a discount for his concussion problems.

9 hours ago, rekker said:

True. But Rome can be erroneously suspended in the finals in a day. Ugh. 

If they have Rome and Hamhuis, the Canucks are still here at the end of a rebuild and at the dawn of a new Era. But with a Cup.

Damn.

• Cheers 1