The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

His agent also said publicly that it would be better if he got moved on.  Agents don’t do that generally as they want to keep as many doors open for their clients as possible.

Eriksson has had plenty of offensive chances, if a younger player played like he did, he would have been benched the entire season.  

He doesn’t “play his role well”.  He is a 3rd or 4th line player who at best is just a little below average defensively, gives nothing offensively, and provides zero energy.  He got 3 hits last season total.  That is a fraction of the next worst guy in the entire league for that stat.  

Do people really think that Green wouldn’t have used him regularly on the top line if he had a chance of providing offence?  We were desperate for goals and even tried Schaller in that role.  Green isn’t going to tank the entire team to prove a point to one player. 

No argument here - 3 hits is pathetic. Now that you mention it I remember reading his agent saying that. I am all for moving on from him but I don't really see that being feasible.

I do think he is a versatile player though. If we removed salaries from the conversation and looked objectively at the players he would still have a place on an NHL team. Any team. However in a cap world he is grossly overpaid and he needs to rectify his comments one way or another.

All I am saying is that at this point all we can do is hope he turns it around for us. I hope he does but won't hold my breath.

• Cheers 1

I think the most likely scenario is he is sent to Utica and hopefully doesn't report so they can terminate his contract but I think he will since he's still owed a lot of money. There is no way another team takes him unless we take on a comparable contract or add one hell of a sweetener. His attitude is becoming toxic and his effort level is completely unacceptable. The irony is he's only hurting himself in the future when he tries to get another team to sign him.

5 minutes ago, JC2 said:

I think the most likely scenario is he is sent to Utica and hopefully doesn't report so they can terminate his contract but I think he will since he's still owed a lot of money. There is no way another team takes him unless we take on a comparable contract or add one hell of a sweetener. His attitude is becoming toxic and his effort level is completely unacceptable. The irony is he's only hurting himself in the future when he tries to get another team to sign him.

Maybe he suffers a training accident in pre season..  hahaha

5 minutes ago, JC2 said:

Could this explain Button's comments about how the Canucks should take better care of its players? I think they'd like to trade Eriksson, but we might still see him on the roster this fall. For all we know they've cleared things up (Green and Eriksson), and Benning will try again at the TDL. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could this explain Button's comments about how the Canucks should take better care of its players? I think they'd like to trade Eriksson, but we might still see him on the roster this fall. For all we know they've cleared things up (Green and Eriksson), and Benning will try again at the TDL. 

I don't really see how you could spin it that the Canucks are mistreating Eriksson. They gave him a fat contract with  big bonuses and gave him multiple opportunities to prove himself despite him struggling since day one. Instead of him taking responsibility for his own play he decides to blame the coach and allows his agent to basically ask for a trade. Bo Horvat  has had a revolving door of line mates and most of them 3rd liners at best and has still been able to produce due to his strong work ethic. due to the age difference Eriksson may never be as good as Bo but I'll bet if he had the same work ethic he would be in the top 6.

Edited by JC2
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JC2 said:

I don't really see how you could spin it that the Canucks are mistreating Eriksson. They gave him a fat contract with  big bonuses and gave him multiple opportunities to prove himself despite him struggling since day one. Instead of him taking responsibility for his own play he decides to blame the coach and allows his agent to basically ask for a trade. Bo Horvat  has had a revolving door of line mates and most of them 3rd liners at best and has still been able to produce due to his strong work ethic. due to the age difference Eriksson may never be as good as Bo but I'll bet if he had the same work ethic he would be in the top 6.

Especially when TO has done worse over the last bunch of years and no media has said anything about it. Robidas Island comes to mind. 

13 minutes ago, JC2 said:

This is a great take. He's had multiple chances with all the injuries and opportunities. New players coming in and proving themselves.....#ThankYouNext

Just now, the_impersonator13 said:

This is a great take. He's had multiple chances with all the injuries and opportunities. New players coming in and proving themselves.....#ThankYouNext

None of them are threatening LE's role as a bottom 6, defensive fwd though.......except maybe Mac.

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What did button say? That’s the first I’ve heard of the Canucks not treating their players right. Hell, Gudbranson, when he was here, stated that the Canucks took great care of him throughout his various injuries. 

Button is just recycling a tired trope. Sure Tryamkin left because he wasn’t getting minutes he thought he should be getting, same with Dahlen. 

The only other NHL caliber player whining like Eriksson was Vrbata. Both were players brought in to play with the Sedins. They got their feelings hurt when the coach moved them to a different line, and were upset when the coach didn’t accept their indifferent play. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The Canucks want him gone. He wants to be gone. His agent has been asked to do everything he can to see he's gone. He's done here.

Make it so, number 1! 

the-prez.jpg

3 hours ago, mll said:

There is no recapture penalty.  It's not possible to have one on contracts signed under the new CBA.  

oh thats good. It was mentioned somewhere over the last few weeks that there might be a penalty but I didn't know if that was a real thing or not. 

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

whoever suggested that imo is wrong.

the LE deal was signed during the present CBA

it is not a backdiving contract - there are no 'cap savings' to be had - it was 6 million accross the board - salary structure is irrelevent = no recrap.

"recrap" :lol:

well, I wonder if Modo is looking for a player/coach? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

If the Canucks acquire Smith he can't be bought out.  They can no longer buy anyone out this season anymore.  The window closed on 30 June and will only re-open up mid-June in a year.  

The 2nd window only opens up for teams who have players who filed for arbitration - no one has on the Canucks.  Also in that 2nd window only players who were on the team at the TDL can be bought out.  

There is a potential lockout and bonuses are always due - it's a 3M payment for Eriksson whether the league plays or not.

Dorion kept on talking about the importance of culture at free agency - he's not going to bring in Eriksson who complained about his ice time and role.  

Dorion says they are willing to take on bad contracts in exchange of assets for their rebuild - picks and prospects.  

Smith is on a 2 year contract so he could be bought out next year.

It was just an idea. Have seen Ottawa media suggest trading both players.

3 hours ago, JC2 said:

come to think of it - now that his signing bonus is paid out, he's only actually owed 10 million of salary over the next three years.

that might not be far off of what he could command in free agency (if they mutually agreed to terminate)  - 3 million for  E is not such a stretch imo - maybe it's not that unthinkable that he start over - it would take a lot of baggage off his back.

37 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You want Tonya to bully Eriksson into leaving? With Eriksson’s three total hits last year, I’m sure she outhit him.

Bullying is dirty.

Just give Tonya a suitcase with $500k cash.  Ask her to wait at the bottom of the escalator at YVR. Smack Loui in the knee when he comes back from Sweden!!

LTIR - boom.....done!

:ph34r:

• Haha 3

I was one of "those" guys who did not mind the Loui signing because we needed some scoring help. With the benefit of hindsight I should have been slapped in the mouth for supporting it.

Look at Loui's numbers for the 4 years before we signed him. He barely played because of injury in 2 of the 4 seasons and in the other 2 healthy seasons he had 47 and then a very unusual 63 points.  Jeebus!!

schaller.PNG.4b93baa166248b34c30d8132697b59de.PNG