The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

For those nay sayers in the JT Miller signing, look at his history before we traded for him. Played almost every game since he entered the NHL and he has always had strong scoring numbers. The whole thing looks way better than Loui's did:

schaller.PNG.4bf43267776057372aa00c3697e5ea3c.PNG

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

come to think of it - now that his signing bonus is paid out, he's only actually owed 10 million of salary over the next three years.

that might not be far off of what he could command in free agency (if they mutually agreed to terminate)  - 3 million for  E is not such a stretch imo - maybe it's not that unthinkable that he start over - it would take a lot of baggage off his back.

If the canucks gave him permission to talk to other teams and he could come to terms with another club (doubt he gets 3 mil per year as a ufa) Then maybe he agrees to terminate his contract. Not 100% sure if this even allowed.

I doubt it though. This was a statement from his agent recently in swedish news Expressen:

"Loui will not break any contract, he is a Vancouver player and does not have the slightest idea of putting down his career," says Eriksson's agent, Peter Werner at CAA Sports in Stockholm

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/blogg/nordstrom/2019/07/blir-svensken-kvar-i-nhl-klubben/

1 minute ago, babalu said:

If the canucks gave him permission to talk to other teams and he could come to terms with another club (doubt he gets 3 mil per year as a ufa) Then maybe he agrees to terminate his contract. Not 100% sure if this even allowed.

I doubt it though. This was a statement from his agent recently in swedish news Expressen:

"Loui will not break any contract, he is a Vancouver player and does not have the slightest idea of putting down his career," says Eriksson's agent, Peter Werner at CAA Sports in Stockholm

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/blogg/nordstrom/2019/07/blir-svensken-kvar-i-nhl-klubben/

I really don't know how they are going to resolve it - but it's looking like his agent needs to earn his money and come up with something, otherwise his client could wind up in the AHL - if that's what he has in mind for his 'career'.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I was one of "those" guys who did not mind the Loui signing because we needed some scoring help. With the benefit of hindsight I should have been slapped in the mouth for supporting it.

there's no real way of knowing/anticipating such a stark 'decline' for LE - he wasn't my first choice, but it wasn't a deal I took much issue with at the time (I thought they should target a more powerforward, hard on the forecheck type instead - ie Okposo - but nearly that entire class of UFAs fell off dramatically after signing that summer - kind of uncanny.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

there's no real way of knowing/anticipating such a stark 'decline' for LE - he wasn't my first choice, but it wasn't a deal I took much issue with at the time (I thought they should target a more powerforward, hard on the forecheck type instead - ie Okposo - but nearly that entire class of UFAs fell off dramatically after signing that summer - kind of uncanny.

I remember being borderline excited to see him get some swedish chemistry with the twins. Nobody could have predicted that Louiser would be one of the worst contracts in the league so quickly

• Cheers 2

If LE is only making 8M in real dollars over 3 years (as per post above), then you'd really have to think it's a doable - if not attractive - contract for teams like Ottawa or even Carolina, with cheapskate owners. Providing the Canucks take back the same, or even more, in real dollars, I don't see why this contract is as unmovable as people have suggested.

That leads me to think (pure speculation here) that perhaps Aquaman has a say in all this, too. I mean, he has invested 28M into this player and only has 8M left...why would he want to take on a bunch of deadweight salaries for useless players? Perhaps there is more to the story than just an "untradeable" contract, methinks.

• Upvote 2

So basically, assuming Loui is owed 9 million for the next 3 seasons, a team would be getting a defensively responsible player for the equivalent of a 3 million dollar a year player.

He has an aav of 6 so for those cap floor teams that would be a bonus. For the other teams that are above the cap floor but won't be spending to the cap it really doesn't matter. A list of players that will make about the same amount of money that Loui will actually be paid each year for the next 3 years is below:

schaller.PNG.c37b7c9be487f923e6e4d4f5f83c734b.PNG

Loui had .36 points per game last season.  

Some of the salary comparable players on the above list had the following ppg:

Sheary .44

Athanasiou .71

Sobotka .19

Frolik 052

Schmaltz .63

Helm .28

Jensen .25

Danault .65

Boedker .49

Filppula .43

In the years previous to last Loui had the following ppg:

17/18 - .46

16/17 - .37

15/16 - .77

14/15 - .58

It appears when you look at Loui's contract and compare his production to other players making the actual same amount of money (3 million per) and not the aav his ppg is in the ballpark of those players.

Looking at it like this, there is no reason why JB may not be able to trade him imo.

COME ON JB - GITER DONE!!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

When an experienced agent goes public like that, it is effectively a trade request/demand.

Agents do their best to keep all doors open to the advantage of their client.

If he realistically thought there was a chance of Eriksson playing for us next season, he wouldn’t have said that.

They might have misjudged the situation and how in demand their player might be.  He was just off of performing well in a few games in the world championships.

It is up to Benning to put the pressure on him now.  LE and his agent want Benning to trade him and don’t care if we have to give up a big sweetener to do it.  We have to say we aren’t doing that and you are going to be in Utica and not getting playing time there as we want our kids to get the development minutes.

Does anyone really think he is going to ride the busses for three years away from his young family? Especially if he doesn't have a chance to resuscitate his career  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Boston would be willing to trade us Backes and take Eriksson back

Backes has two years left as opposed to three so the buyout would be manageable at the end of next season 

Eriksson would get a chance back in Boston where he had success producing 

Exact same cap hit 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So basically, assuming Loui is owed 9 million for the next 3 seasons, a team would be getting a defensively responsible player for the equivalent of a 3 million dollar a year player.

He has an aav of 6 so for those cap floor teams that would be a bonus. For the other teams that are above the cap floor but won't be spending to the cap it really doesn't matter. A list of players that will make about the same amount of money that Loui will actually be paid each year for the next 3 years is below:

Sheary .44

Athanasiou .71

Sobotka .19

Frolik 052

Schmaltz .63

Helm .28

Jensen .25

Danault .65

Boedker .49

Filppula .43

17/18 - .46

16/17 - .37

15/16 - .77

14/15 - .58

It appears when you look at Loui's contract and compare his production to other players making the actual same amount of money (3 million per) and not the aav his ppg is in the ballpark of those players.

Looking at it like this, there is no reason why JB may not be able to trade him imo.

This is the thing. At first, it seems like this contract is an albatross, but it isn't as bad as you think for teams who are not cap teams. It is actually a bonus for some, as you pointed out. This page has a list of players, sorted descending by salaries, which have a cap hit less than LE's: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2020/salary&display=expiry-year,base-salary&limits=caphit-0-5500000

Surely there is somebody on that list that could be moved from a team who wants to swap cap hit for salary. I don't want to encourage an tin-foil hatting here, but there must be something else at play, aside from just inability to make a deal.

My guess is we'll just see it happen later on, once the money has been spent and the dollar-dust has settled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

It does smack of a bit of the Sam Gagner thing - I supported the move, applauded it actually, of sending him to Utica - and laughed at the b.s. flakey soapboxing/morality plays out of Toronto as if it was so inappropriate to waive him.   Ironically, they did not claim him - so really, they could go have sex with themselves.   He didn't deserve a roster spot - and there were youth pushing - that's the nature of the business - the Sam Gagners are not entitled to NHL roster spots based on past / patronage performances.   Same with LE - and further, he's not entitled to any particular role in Green's scheme - I don't want to rip LE here, but you can't have your cake and eat it is a saying that may actually apply in a case like this - he's getting lots of cake to compensate him, he doesn't also get gifted any particular roster spot by virtue of that cake.  Not a fan of questioning Greem - might not have been his intent - I'm still not certan what the context and comments were / the translation is still questionable - but nothing wrong with how Green has utilized LE under the circumstances.

Kalamazoo is a funny proposal - maybe Utica is enough, but hey, you never know - JB might be a bit pissed off with the recrap doubling this LEcrap up, so he might be uncharacteristically short with this if it gets too drama-laden (to be real though, I think Benning is pretty level-headed and unlikely to unnecessarily escalate anything).

It would be funny to be a fly on the wall for their conversation. 

Loui: so are you saying you'll send me to the minors in Utica if I don't agree to a trade Jim?

Jim: Utica Loui? who said anything about Utica?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Sheary .44

Athanasiou .71

Sobotka .19

Frolik 052

Schmaltz .63

Helm .28

Jensen .25

Danault .65

Boedker .49

Filppula .43

17/18 - .46

16/17 - .37

15/16 - .77

14/15 - .58

Every team is above the cap floor.  

The teams that have the room this year will need the space in a year or two.  They mostly have room because they have players on ELCs but they will have to pay those players before Eriksson's contract is up.  Aho was on an ELC - he is now an 8.5M player.  

Which teams who have space are not looking to be more competitive within 3 years and don't have key players due significant raises?  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Every team is above the cap floor.  

The teams that have the room this year will need the space in a year or two.  They mostly have room because they have players on ELCs but they will have to pay those players before Eriksson's contract is up.  Aho was on an ELC - he is now an 8.5M player.  

Which teams who have space are not looking to be more competitive within 3 years and don't have key players due significant raises?  

Excellent point. Not sure I can answer that thoroughly.  A few come to mind such as Ottawa, LA, and Anaheim I suppose. All need to rebuild and will need roster players the same as we did a few years ago when we used Megna and Chaput like they were actual NHL'ers.

Guys, there is not a single team that needs any help getting to the cap floor. That dream is over and done with.  

I truly dont believe that we can even trade him for Lucic straight up. Edmonton thinks they’re getting more value out of Lucic then we are from Louie.  

I’ll be over the moon happy if we trade him.