The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Excellent point. Not sure I can answer that thoroughly.  A few come to mind such as Ottawa, LA, and Anaheim I suppose. All need to rebuild and will need roster players the same as we did a few years ago when we used Megna and Chaput like they were actual NHL'ers.

LA was in discussions with Toronto for Marleau.  They were willing to take a hit in the short-term but wanted to move out a contract - longer term but lower cap hit.  They figured they would need the space after this year or next.  

Ottawa has Tkachuk in 2 years and Chabot next year - they will be offer-sheet eligible.  

Murray in Anaheim says it's not going to be a dragged out rebuild but fairly quick with how many good players they have coming up.  Steele, Comtois, Jones are all off their ELCs in 2 years.  They are expected to get increased roles this year in the NHL.  They had the cap space to keep Perry but decided to buy him out - it created a roster spot for a young player.

With young players asking for more money immediately most teams are probably not going to want to give up that cap space for that long.  They have to plan today for when their key players come off ELCs.  Agents are also pushing for offer-sheets.

Things can change so quickly too.  See the Canucks.  NYR probably didn't expect their rebuild to be that quick and now need the space after they were able to get Trouba and Panarin.  It's also about free agency opportunities if players suddenly become available.  The Canucks weren't able to add Nyquist because they didn't have the cap space.  Taylor Hall, Pietrangelo, Barrie, Josi, etc etc next year.  

It's not necessarily about reaching the cap floor this year.

And Ottawa has not yet reached the floor - they are at 58 million - a few million short.  Colin White may get them there, but that is beside the point.

Macarthurs 4.65 LTIR cap expires this year

Boedker's 4 miilion expires

Pageau 3.1

Hainsey 3.5

Anderson 4.75

Borowiecki, DeMelo, Ennis, Gibbons

9 UFAs with expiring contracts.

22+ million.

Do they 'need" Eriksson right now?  Maybe not - but it could still make sense for them to add that half price contract moving forward - if it comes with the right incentive.

There are probably few targets for whom that cap hit would be mitigated  like that.  And if you are going to give asset(s) to an opponent in circumstances like this, I suspect the preference would be to send them to the other conference.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It’s between Schaller and Louie for the last spot 

we need a penalty killer

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Pearson

Leivo, Sutter, Virtanen

____, Beagle, Motte

*Roussel on IR

That entire bottom 6, plus Horvat and Miller can PK. Not worried about that.

I see one starting spot and 13th F open and zero guarantee either LE or Schaller get either. And when Roussel gets healthy, someone's still gone (Schaller). Those two spots will likely be between:

Eriksson/Goldobin/Schaller/Gaudette/MacEwan/Bailey

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's not necessarily about reaching the cap floor this year.

And Ottawa has not yet reached the floor - they are at 58 million - a few million short.  Colin White may get them there, but that is beside the point.

Macarthurs 4.65 LTIR cap expires this year

Boedker's 4 miilion expires

Pageau 3.1

Hainsey 3.5

Anderson 4.75

Borowiecki, DeMelo, Ennis, Gibbons

9 UFAs with expiring contracts.

22+ million.

Do they 'need" Eriksson right now?  Maybe not - but it could still make sense for them to add that half price contract moving forward - if it comes with the right incentive.

There are probably few targets for whom that cap hit would be mitigated  like that.  And if you are going to give asset(s) to an opponent in circumstances like this, I suspect the preference would be to send them to the other conference.

It was sounding like the wanted to be rid of Boedker's contract, so maybe they could work some out around that. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Gäz said:

It was sounding like the wanted to be rid of Boedker's contract, so maybe they could work some out around that. 

Senators open to moving around the draft, could move Ceci and trying to move Boedker

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion has been making calls to see if he can move up in the draft, as well as checking out if there is any immediate help for his roster.

“It’s a very volatile draft,” Dorion said. “Everybody knows who’s going to go No. 1  (Jack Hughes) and No. 2 (Kaapo Kakko). Our scouts have a grouping of No. 3 to No. 9, and then from No. 9 to No. 19 there could be a lot of volatility. That tells us that we could end up with a really good player.

“That opens the door to moving up, maybe staying in our spot, and with us having pick No. 32 and No. 44 and having numerous picks in the next two drafts — we’ve got three seconds next year with ours, Columbus and Dallas, and (they will have) three seconds in 2021 with ours, Columbus and (San Jose).”

The Senators are planning on talking with Cody Ceci’s agent in Vancouver. There is the chance he could be traded if they can’t work out a long-term deal.

The Senators are looking to move Mikkel Boedker who has a year left on his contract a $4 million cap hit but a $3 million salary. They’ve received mild interest in Boedker.

Taking Boedker in an LE deal would be borderline no-brainer imo.

To Ottawa:

LE

Goldy (not a bad add for a team like Ottawa with a lot of spots opening up).

might need to add another moderate sweetener - who knows

To Van:

Boedker.

Zack Smith's 3.25 million might be another candidate - could potentially retain on Schaller (at 950k he is good depth) - and sweeten there as well.

I'm not assuming Ottawa is a closed door (or open) at this point - something to continue looking at imo.

• Upvote 1

I think we were all expecting for something to be done this summer with Eriksson based on the media reports that came out shortly after the end of the season.  At this stage however, I'm not expecting anything to happen and I think it's very possible that Eriksson will still be a part of the Canucks' organization in the Fall.

If rumors are true that Eriksson's family has moved back to Dallas, then instead of a trade to Dallas, perhaps it's in preparation for Eriksson to be loaned to the Texas Stars if there is indeed too big a rift with coaching/management and he cannot otherwise be traded.  It's a move that would basically be what the Canucks did with Gagner and the Canucks would save a small amount on cap.  They would need at least another year of this (if I'm not mistaken) until his contact becomes a lot more reasonable to buyout but he might also be worthwhile to have on the books at that point for exposure in the expansion draft.

Judging by how much cap trouble a lot of teams are in right now, I don't see much of a market for Eriksson.  I know CapFriendly shows the Canucks in a bit of cap trouble but if you remove a few of the players who are probably going to be AHL bound to start the season (e.g. Gaudette, Sautner, etc.), then they're actually not in too bad of a spot.  With Roussel probably starting the year on LTIR, the Canucks can also draw cap management out over first couple months of the season.

I know GMJB and management get a lot of criticism for their cap management.  A good amount of the criticism is justified but the Canucks cap situation is more manageable than what other teams seem to be experiencing (e.g. Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, NYR, etc.).  They can obviously still shoot themselves in the foot but so far this summer, it hasn't been so bad.  In some ways, the uncertainty about Luongo might have helped to inject a bit of healthy anxiety about over committing dollars this summer and now that Luongo's recapture is a known thing for the next 3-years, it can be factored in accordingly (instead of being like the Sword of Damocles waiting to drop at any moment).

Obviously if things are particularly bad with Eriksson then management should try to move him out but my sense is that this is going to take a long while to settle, ideally without costing the Canucks too much (e.g. Toronto having to deal a 1st Rd pick to get rid of Marleau's contract).  Would love to be wrong though.

• Upvote 1

You know, none of us could have predicted how terrible the Eriksson signing would be. But to me, what was even more unpredictable is how Eriksson and his agent are acting right now. Eriksson has gotten every opportunity and some as a Vancouver Canuck. He just hasn't been good enough and if Travis Green is giving a veteran like him a hard time for not being good enough, well that's music to my ears. How are we supposed to get buy in from these kids if the vets aren't held to the same standard. Eriksson needs to take a look in the mirror but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, so he'll just be taking a hike. 

Memo to Loui:

Dear Loui,

Please start acting like a professional. We are trying to trade you, but you're coming off like a self entitled brat. When you're done throwing your tantrum, call Jim...you know, you're boss? It's hard enough to trade you as it is, you're not helping right now. 

Sincerely,

Common Sense 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We're only a week into UFA season.  Two more months until training camp, three until the season.

Yip. I gotta admit though that this is the one thread I keep checking in on the most, lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Pearson

Leivo, Sutter, Virtanen

____, Beagle, Motte

*Roussel on IR

That entire bottom 6, plus Horvat and Miller can PK. Not worried about that.

I see one starting spot and 13th F open and zero guarantee either LE or Schaller get either. And when Roussel gets healthy, someone's still gone (Schaller). Those two spots will likely be between:

Eriksson/Goldobin/Schaller/Gaudette/MacEwan/Bailey

Eriksson for the 4th line spot and Goldy for the extra spot if this is how it plays out.

I don't think I've seen Leivo or Virtanen PK yet. We want to keep Horvat off the PK if possible unless we want an offensive threat on the PK. Same goes for Miller. LE is the best PKer option of the bunch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

When did this happen?

I'm assuming you know the answer and just have a different take, but I'll bite.

1) The interview he did with the Swedish newspaper. He said he doesn't see eye to eye with Green, which means he wasn't happy with his playing time and/or how he was utilized.

2) Benning went on record saying Eriksson (or his agent if that's his job?) didn't return his call.

3) Eriksson's agent releases a statement which doesn't even touch on why there's been no communication with mamagement or whether there's been any communication since Benning went on record saying that.

Eriksson is clearly disgruntled and wants the world to know. If he wasn't, he'd end all this by making a statement saying something (anything) positive. If he wanted to do himself any favours, he might even take some responsibility and say he's working out hard this summer so he comes back better next season. 

But I welcome your take :P

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Eriksson for the 4th line spot and Goldy for the extra spot if this is how it plays out.

I want a Royal Rumble to decide our 13th forward. In that case, I'd give Zack MacEwen the edge!

I'd also waive Loui before Goldobin since Goldy probably gets plucked off waivers.

I don't think I've seen Leivo or Virtanen PK yet. We want to keep Horvat off the PK if possible unless we want an offensive threat on the PK. Same goes for Miller. LE is the best PKer option of the bunch.

Ya, Jake definitely hasn't played any PK yet. It only took him 2 years to earn Travis' trust 3 on 3. At that rate, Jake should expect to see PK time in the 2024-25 season.

Edited by VIC_CITY