The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

31 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I fully believe it.  Jimmy don't take no crap, he gets done what he wants to get done, whether it's turfing out Garrison or signing a UFA.  Barry better get to work.

I love this. LE can ride the busses in Utica if he puts up barriers on his NTC. There is no way this cancer is going to be a Canuck ever again! Definitely the worst signing in Canuck history :picard:

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Sabre fans would lynch you for even suggesting Pearson. On the boards they say they would want Boeser or another scoring winger similar to that if they could not get a legit youngish 2c.

There goes my dream of Sutter and Virtanen for Risto lol.

Although word from there is it may be best to reduce his minutes into more of a 2nd pairing role.  If true, then he may not be that top-pairing minute-muncher that his purported asking price is worth.  Who knows, maybe someone really wants him and pays the price, but it seems Jimbo's been inquiring for over a year and so far the price is likely too rich for his blood.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately when an agent has to resort to going door to door and begging teams to take their client, it’s not likely a deal is gonna get done.

Eriksson should see the writing on the wall and retire. Go play a season in Europe and he can always unretire later.

"Do you have much of a hand in this?"

"Yeah when it comes to trades like this I think the best thing is to cooperate and try and find the best opportunity and if it happens that we can find some options or suggest some options I'm sure Jim will take a close look.  It's the type of situation where you cooperate and look around the league and see what could work." - Barry

"The best solution is to find a place in the league for him."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/jp-barry-canucks-options-loui-eriksson/

The agent's job is to serve his client.  If both the team and Eriksson want to move on, then it's his responsibility to help it along and broker something.  They're certainly exploring all options, and likely VERY much Loui's last resort to end up in Utica, so who knows how motivated he may get to work something else out to avoid it.

Everyone knows it hasn't worked and something needs to be done.  Sooner or later, Loui is gone.  Only question is when and for what.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately when an agent has to resort to going door to door and begging teams to take their client, it’s not likely a deal is gonna get done.

Eriksson should see the writing on the wall and retire. Go play a season in Europe and he can always unretire later.

I totally agree.  You'd also have to think that any team actually wanting to take Eriksson in a deal where the Canucks retain part of the salary would have already suggested this to Benning. It's not like other teams didn't know that the Canucks would be more than happy to unload him.  His agent won't be telling the rest of the NHL anything they didn't already know, but best of luck to him nonetheless!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
wording
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The agent's job is to serve his client.  If both the team and Eriksson want to move on, then it's his responsibility to help it along and broker something.  They're certainly exploring all options, and likely VERY much Loui's last resort to end up in Utica, so who knows how motivated he may get to work something else out to avoid it.

Everyone knows it hasn't worked and something needs to be done.  Sooner or later, Loui is gone.  Only question is when and for what.

The player and the agent can only do so much.

This deal will not likely hinge on Erikssons willingness to go somewhere. It will hinge on teams not wanting his contract unless they can dump a bad one of their own or get high end assets in return. Barry calling up teams will do nothing to change that.

Im not confident a deal will get done. Eriksson will most likely by waived before the start of the season. Don’t count on teams doing us any favours.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This deal will not likely hinge on Erikssons willingness to go somewhere. It will hinge on teams not wanting his contract unless they can dump a bad one of their own or get high end assets in return. Barry calling up teams will do nothing to change that.

Im not confident a deal will get done. Eriksson will most likely by waived before the start of the season. Don’t count on teams doing us any favours.

have a tendency to agree here that the other clubs in the league will not be looking to bail us out. they'll want an advantage in order to be taking on Eriksson's contract, because, quite frankly, it's terrible. So either we give up another draft pick for another club to take on Eriksson and his albatross of a contract, or we give up a decent prospect. 

At the end of the day, Benning and Co., can always bury Eriksson's contract in the AHL, but how much do they save by doing that? And I am almost certain that's not nearly enough cap relief to sign Boeser. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

image.png.f487175e9d111b349c9cea1c2e54cda1.png

Do not think the situation is at all as dire and desperate as being made out.  Edmonton and Calgary are arguably worse-off with Lucic and Neal, and what's this about "doing us any favours", as if they ARE willing to help out the Leafs or other teams?  And who says we are  refusing to take back something of negative value in the process or have to give up "higher-end assets"?  

It's a business and will be a straight business transaction -- everyone agrees he needs a new start, so something will be figured out.  It's not like Loui Eriksson is a crack-addicted gangster that nobody wants anywhere near the team or hockey period, let alone a long-term anchor that can't even play the game any more.  Waiving to Utica is likely the absolute worst-case scenario (at least, to him) so it'll be avoided by him and Barry as much as possible, imo.  And lastly, we are in no way desperate to free up his salary, unable to sign our RFAs like Edmonton, Calgary, Vegas and others are.

We're barely into July.  Something will get done, relax.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Goodness people, how many times does it need to be posted?

We have more than enough space to sign Boeser (and Goldobin) once you get the roster down to the required 23 players and have Roussel on IR.

Does that mean we need to move about $3m by DECEMBER? Yes. But we have plenty of options for moving that out that don't involve Eriksson.

Our cap situation is in no way dire. It's a long summer. Calm down, Jim's got this.

I don't get it -- we signed Ferland for $3.5M when we had $5.5M in capspace, now it shows we have $5M.  Capfriendly must be broken.  Help me help me, I don't get it?!?!

:picard:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

If Eriksson agrees and terminates is there anything in the CBA that would prevent him from being able to sign a new contract right away?

I'm not sure - I don't see anything to that effect.

I think the one condition is that he'd have to clear unconditional waivers first.

And I think the team that terminates cannot negotiate with that player for the duration of the term that was terminated.

A number of cases since 2017 - interestingly, Mazanec (dealt in the JT Miller deal) was one of them....but I don't see any players that returned to the NHL with another team - so I don't think I have a conclusive answer for you unfortunately - someone else will have to give it a shot.

August 14, 2017 Marek Mazanec Nashville Predators Mutual termination [38]
August 15, 2017 Alexey Marchenko Toronto Maple Leafs Mutual termination [39]
September 18, 2017 Cameron Darcy Tampa Bay Lightning Mutual termination [40]
September 18, 2017 Brian Hart Tampa Bay Lightning Mutual termination [40]
October 2, 2017 Robin Kovacs New York Rangers Mutual termination [41]
October 16, 2017 Mark Streit Montreal Canadiens Mutual termination [42]
October 21, 2017 Malte Stromwall New York Rangers Mutual termination [43]
October 29, 2017 Martin Reway Montreal Canadiens Mutual termination [44]
November 21, 2017 Anton Rodin Vancouver Canucks Mutual termination [45]
November 22, 2017 Ziyat Paigin Edmonton Oilers Mutual termination [46]
November 27, 2017 Brooks Laich Los Angeles Kings Mutual termination [47]
January 2, 2018 Emerson Etem Arizona Coyotes Mutual termination [48]
February 13, 2018 Dennis Rasmussen Anaheim Ducks Mutual termination [49]
March 3, 2018 Andrei Mironov Colorado Avalanche Mutual termination [50]
April 11, 2018 Alexei Bereglazov New York Rangers Mutual termination [51]
May 9, 2018 Yaroslav Dyblenko New Jersey Devils Mutual termination [52]
June 20, 2018 Sergei Zborovskiy New York Rangers Mutual termination

[53]

8 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

That honour still goes to Messier.

Messier had 60, 48 and 54 points in his 3 seasons here. 

Eriksson had 24, 23 and 29 points in his 3 seasons here.

Hate Messier all you want, I do as well, but it is clear that even in comparison to that guy, Eriksson produced half as much (Eriksson also played more games).

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Messier had 60, 48 and 54 points in his 3 seasons here. 

Eriksson had 24, 23 and 29 points in his 3 seasons here.

Hate Messier all you want, I do as well, but it is clear that even in comparison to that guy, Eriksson produced half as much (Eriksson also played more games).

Yeah Messier put up more points, but that doesn’t really mean anything to me, He was still a far worse signing. You could  argue Eriksson is a better signing than Tanev by that reasoning.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If only it were that simple.

66 of Messier's pts (aptly) were feeding on the powerplay.

The rest of the time he ambled around - an absolute shell of the player he once was, eating 22 mediocre minutes a night.

He sucked here, period.  And his arrogance, laziness and ego were wrecking balls to a franchise that NEVER should have taken the C from Linden.  Absolute low class move on Keenan's part, and as low on Messier's to accept that.

LE doesn't even register on that kind of scale.  LE had 38% ozone starts, and 3 powerplay points last year.  Those are relatively expected outcomes in those minutes imo.

Messier's production (towards the end of the floater era) misleadingly, seriously inflates the otherwise flat tire that he was, floating around the ice with nothing left to prove.  What a waste.  Him and Keenan - the two worst decisions the franchise ever made - and that includes the ill-advised Tortorella experiment.

At the time Messier was a Stanley Cup champion and heralded by everyone in the NHL as the greatest leader in the league. They even created an NHL award in his name. Your comments of him taking the C from Linden has no logic. It was a no brainer. Now with hindsight, we know how much of a disaster that was and no one could have predicted how it went. 

On another note, having Linden booted out of the Canucks was probably the best thing ever. He was starting to also decline and all the pieces the Canucks got was an ever lasting legacy that we still see today in Markstrom.

McCabe who later turned to one of the Sedins being drafted.

Bertuzzi who later turned to Luongo and then Markstrom.

Linden’s departure from the Canucks was shockingly still an ongoing benefit where we also had the pleasure of having so many superstars over the years.

Best moves ever!

The near future teeters on this contract being moved. If successfully moved we can fit in another high end player and that's why I dont want an LE for Lucic trade. I'd rather see LE dropped somehow and the money spent on D. Like Barrie or Larsson next July. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Although word from there is it may be best to reduce his minutes into more of a 2nd pairing role.  If true, then he may not be that top-pairing minute-muncher that his purported asking price is worth.  Who knows, maybe someone really wants him and pays the price, but it seems Jimbo's been inquiring for over a year and so far the price is likely too rich for his blood.

Yea...most Sabres fans think Risto is in over his head as a top pairing D man.  They say their biggest needs are:  1. 2c, and 2. right side wingers.  As for us, if we did get Risto we could do:

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Risto

Benn  Tanev/Stecher

Much better size and bite in that D lineup.

That is why I floated the Sutter + Virtanen suggestion.  Sutter is a bit better than Sobotka as a C and that could shelter Mitts a bit. Virtanen is a good young right side winger with upside. I don't think Sabres fans would like the suggestion but I don't think its bad. They want Boeser lol.  Plus they get a Sutter.....the Kennedy's of the hockey world -  royalty!!  :ph34r:

Who knows if / what other teams are offering... probably something better than that. But maybe not....no one offered more than we did for Miller, or for UFAs Myers and Ferland.

If JB did get Risto, we would then be shipping Tanev or Stecher out.

Adding Risto would give us one more big body 6'4" 215 lbs who has a mean streak.

If that actually happened JB would have had a godlike summer lmao. :towel:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

At the time Messier was a Stanley Cup champion and heralded by everyone in the NHL as the greatest leader in the league. They even created an NHL award in his name. Your comments of him taking the C from Linden has no logic. It was a no brainer. Now with hindsight, we know how much of a disaster that was and no one could have predicted how it went. 

On another note, having Linden booted out of the Canucks was probably the best thing ever. He was starting to also decline and all the pieces the Canucks got was an ever lasting legacy that we still see today in Markstrom.

McCabe who later turned to one of the Sedins being drafted.

Bertuzzi who later turned to Luongo and then Markstrom.

Linden’s departure from the Canucks was shockingly still an ongoing benefit where we also had the pleasure of having so many superstars over the years.

Best moves ever!

Ew.  Mine eyes....bleed.

I can't argue with the subsequent flukes - McCabe was mediocre at best, but dealt for way more than he was worth.  Thank you Burkie.

Bertuzzi was a dump in, not a principal - the the Isles absolutely gave up on prematurely and underestimated.  And again, who acquired Luongo?  Not Keenan.

But none of that really has to do with how sad and bad Messier was here - he sucked, period.  No excuses - no coasting on previous irrelevent performances - he was hot garbage here.

And Keenan was the biggest asshat in franchise history.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yea...most Sabres fans think Risto is in over his head as a top pairing D man.  They say their biggest needs are:  1. 2c, and 2. right side wingers.  As for us, if we did get Risto we could do:

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Risto

Benn  Tanev/Stecher

Much better size and bite in that D lineup.

That is why I floated the Sutter + Virtanen suggestion.  Sutter is a bit better than Sobotka as a C and that could shelter Mitts a bit. Virtanen is a good young right side winger with upside. I don't think Sabres fans would like the suggestion but I don't think its bad. They want Boeser lol.  Plus the get a Sutter.....the Kennedy's of the hockey world -  royalty!!  :ph34r:

Who knows if / what other teams are offering... probably something better than that. But maybe not....no one offered more than we did for Miller, or for UFAs Myers and Ferland.

If JB did get Risto, we would then be shipping Tanev or Stecher out.

Adding Risto would give us one more big body 6'4" 215 lbs who has a mean streak.

If that actually happened JB would have had a godlike summer lmao. :towel:

FTFY ::D