The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

6 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Bull$&!# about Nylander. They are totally different ends of the age spectrum for one. One is expected to get better, the other worse simply as a function of age. Then there is the fact of their roles on their respective teams. Eriksson 2 years ago had similar ppg production to what Nylander had this past year in a similar number of games. So really he has performed like hkm in the most recent sample lol.

He isnt making himself redundant. The game is changing. Younger players are pushing older players out. Part salary cap, part the speed of the game, part the quality of young players now.

The Eriksson type contracts are becoming less and less common. This UFA period is a great example of the shift in this regard. And evdn at the time they were signed, the teams knew the last several years of them could be largely dead money. I dont think they anticipated how fast some of these players would decline vs those contracts though.

The reality is he has always been a solid defensive player. That hasnt really changed over time. He obviously isnt the offensive player he once was. I think he hasreinvented himself to a certain degree. Didnt Green say he accepted his role and did the job?

I don't think anyone objectively could watch Erickson and say the effort has been there irrespective of aging out /  the league starting to pass him by. He's not as slow as Lucic and can still move when he wants to. Do you think if he was playing with as much intensity as Beagle and Rousell, even Sutter people would be as hard on him?  Sure he didn't produce offense, but be a LEADER, and lead by example as you age then. I bet if he played with the intensity of the three above he'd have put up more points as well. He plays disinterested most nights, collecting a paycheque. He hasn't re-invented himself.

He was given every opportunity with the twins to succeed, then given alot of oppty with Petey and did nothing with either. If you're playing with that many world class players and can't contribute more, its about your intensity and drive.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 3

If LE isn't that bad of a player like some here are defending him to be. Then should there not be interest in him if the Canucks were willing to retain up to 50%. Also, I am sure LE would waive for the chance to have a fresh start.

Fact is imo, when your an athlete and you make millions you will always be under scrutiny for under performing compared to the contract you signed...Still major fault on this whole debacle goes on JB for giving an aging veteran this albatross of a contract when we were suppose to be rebuilding

• Wat 1

the fault is all on Eriksson, Benning did not pick up a guy who was not producing or slowing down and sure everyone was excited for Ericksson to play on the Sedin line. I will never forget after he signed the contract, he said along the lines he doesn't have a care in the world since he signed his big paycheque. at that time, I thought he was just going to coast his way thru his contract. he is not loyal like the Sedins were.  And sure enough , that is exactly what he has done.!!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

same ass clown that called the Sedins pussies.  Also disagreed with the Mathetheson suspension for his hit on Peterson saying "that's a joke"

2 months later he loses his gold medal from the 1995 world juniors which was stolen with his messenger bag   when he was at the Roxy.  what the &^@# is that fatso doing at the Roxy is beyond me.

he has a history of hating the Canucks. here's the full story.  we had a thread on it.

O Neil is a buffoon.

Anyone stupid enough to get a neck tattoo shows how close they are in intelligence to a chimpanzee.  Not only are his opinions uninformed, he looks like a washed up wanna be gang member with that stupid tatty.  Talk about having zero common sense.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I don't think anyone objectively could watch Erickson and say the effort has been there irrespective of aging out /  the league starting to pass him by. He's not as slow as Lucic and can still move when he wants to. Do you think if he was playing with as much intensity as Beagle and Rousell, even Sutter people would be as hard on him?  Sure he didn't produce offense, but be a LEADER, and lead by example as you age then. I bet if he played with the intensity of the three above he'd have put up more points as well. He plays disinterested most nights, collecting a paycheque. He hasn't re-invented himself.

He was given every opportunity with the twins to succeed, then given alot of oppty with Petey and did nothing with either. If you're playing with that many world class players and can't contribute more, its about your intensity and drive.

People here would have just as much hate as they do now.

They equate his worth compared to the 6 million dollars per year he earns.  If he skated around fast working hard and still did nothing offensively people would hate on him just as hard. Don't kid yourself. This fanbase, like most passionate NHL fan bases (mostly Canadian with some US teams in there), is hard on players on every team.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, shiznak said:

I don’t know why you would bring up Leivo’s advance numbers as “pure” stats, when he was playing heavily sheltered minutes, on the 4th line in Toronto.

Wot.

You clearly don't know what "sheltered" means - honestly the first line of that post is an absolute bust.

30.1 and 35.6% ozone starts there - playing principally with an inexperienced center like Gauthier.

I'd think you can't possibly be serious, but you appear to be.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Bull$&!# about Nylander. They are totally different ends of the age spectrum for one. One is expected to get better, the other worse simply as a function of age. Then there is the fact of their roles on their respective teams. Eriksson 2 years ago had similar ppg production to what Nylander had this past year in a similar number of games. So really he has performed like hkm in the most recent sample lol.

He isnt making himself redundant. The game is changing. Younger players are pushing older players out. Part salary cap, part the speed of the game, part the quality of young players now.

The Eriksson type contracts are becoming less and less common. This UFA period is a great example of the shift in this regard. And evdn at the time they were signed, the teams knew the last several years of them could be largely dead money. I dont think they anticipated how fast some of these players would decline vs those contracts though.

The reality is he has always been a solid defensive player. That hasnt really changed over time. He obviously isnt the offensive player he once was. I think he hasreinvented himself to a certain degree. Didnt Green say he accepted his role and did the job?

Green has the political correctness of a profesional to say the right things..

Obviously , Eriksson does not..  that was his last rabbit in the hat.      Try that in Utica.

we have better men in the room who are also better PK’rs than Eriksson now.  He is redundant

Edited by SilentSam

12 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

You do know that in that interview they somehow had to being in that perfect Eriksson comparable, William Nylander, right? I laughed. 

O'Neil definitely knows his hockey. But he doesnt come across as having too much non headline news depth of opinion regarding the Canucks tbh. 

Mike Milbury and Peter Chiarelli knew their hockey too and were paid to GM teams. Doesnt always mean you are paying for the best. 

Nylander is a pretty accurate comparable.  Lazy, selfish, signed to a terrible contract, and belong in the AHL until they're willing to put in the necessary work to not be a liability to their respective teams.  Both were4 given far too long a leash by their coaches and should have spent far more time in the press box, despite being gifted undeserved top 6 minutes despite being useless floaters.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

People here would have just as much hate as they do now.

They equate his worth compared to the 6 million dollars per year he earns.  If he skated around fast working hard and still did nothing offensively people would hate on him just as hard. Don't kid yourself. This fanbase, like most passionate NHL fan bases (mostly Canadian with some US teams in there), is hard on players on every team.

Bull.  Ballard was overpaid, but still worked hard and did everything he asked.  Plenty of fans noticed that.  Same with Burr at the end of his career, and he's going to the ROH.  But if you're going to open your stupid trap about a coach who's done nothing but defend your lazy, disinterested play, you don't belong in the NHL.  It's our responsibility as fans to drive this useless bum out of town for the good of the franchise.  If he's stupid enough to show his face at training camp, I hope the fans make it abundantly clear that he is not welcome here.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Bull.  Ballard was overpaid, but still worked hard and did everything he asked.  Plenty of fans noticed that.  Same with Burr at the end of his career, and he's going to the ROH.  But if you're going to open your stupid trap about a coach who's done nothing but defend your lazy, disinterested play, you don't belong in the NHL.  It's our responsibility as fans to drive this useless bum out of town for the good of the franchise.  If he's stupid enough to show his face at training camp, I hope the fans make it abundantly clear that he is not welcome here.

Read the quote bud. He didn't say anything other than his own perspective really. Which is at least partially accurate tbh.

Fans don't really have any say. They canwhine about it but i guarantee management doesnt care about overly emotional opinions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Green has the political correctness of a profesional to say the right things..

Obviously , Eriksson does not..  that was his last rabbit in the hat.      Try that in Utica.

we have better men in the room who are also better PK’rs than Eriksson now.  He is redundant

What did he say that was as bad asyou guys suggest? Nothing.

You have no idea what Eriksson is like in the room.

People are taking their hate for a player and attempting to add "evidence" that supports that hate.

I am not even a fan of Eriksson. I want him traded asmuch as the next guy. The difference is I can be objective and not try to exaggerate all these other things to justify my opinion.

I guarantee Travis Green does not see Eriksson or his comments the way some fans do. Because his job is to realistically evaluate the players he is given. That means seeing all strengths and weaknesses of that player to try to put them in the spot where they feel they fit. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Read the quote bud. He didn't say anything other than his own perspective really. Which is at least partially accurate tbh.

Fans don't really have any say. They canwhine about it but i guarantee management doesnt care about overly emotional opinions.

Read the quote.  Still unacceptable from a guy that, by your own admission, refuses to put in enough effort on a nightly basis.  And I guarantee management cares about this worthless crybaby complaining about the coach.  Having the fans yelling at him to get out of town might be what's needed to help Aquilini agree to put Loser Eriksson in a more appropriate league for his effort level, the AHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1