The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

On 8/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, IBatch said:

Yep.  He’s still a Canuck, and it’s not his fault (entirely) that his play isn’t up to snuff with his contract.   One of the better defensive forwards in the league that can move up and down the lineup without looking too out of place.  He’s not the first to not earn his contract (ok I’m sure before salary disclosure we had some underperformers).   Sundin comes to mind.  Nobody booed him and his payday was ridiculous even by today’s standards.   In fact I’ve even read on here that he’s the reason the Sedins ended up as dominant as they were (which is like saying Naslund became the player he was because of Messier, barf).   Maybe after another year I might start buffing my pitchfork, but things will have to get a lot uglier then this..

Im actually way more concerned about this entitled crop of RFAs who are going to sign UFA type second contracts when they haven’t earned it yet.   LE earned his pay day, just like Stamkos and Tavares and EK and Carlson and Skinner and Wheeler and soon AP in St Louis and a entire all-time league of other guys before them.    

Cant blame AHO and the rest entirely, the path was laid when McJesus and then Eichel got theirs...and concreted in by that total A-HOLE of a GM in TO with Nylander and especially AM (wtf has he gone yet to deserve top five money? Can’t even play 70 games in the league...).   So Marner, MT, Rantanen, Laine, Conner and Boeser are putting the screws on the rest when really they should at most be making 4.5-7.5 the lot of them based on history.    Now when the Canucks are about to have their cap window like CHI, LA and the rest of the cap winners have enjoyed - we are getting screwed out of it (with the exception of Horvat although even then it was a tad rich and things were climbing).   A huge part of me wants the GMs left with these guys to work in solidarity to bring the cap hits down to earth and just not let them play and earn money...doubt that will happen.  

That said it needs a re-set.  Don’t like the way things are going - too few players making the bulk of the money.  Sure a decent journeyman is happy to earn his close to league minimum compared to the alternative...but at the same time I’m also sure he doesn’t enjoy  not getting the PP time and is spending 35% of his time starting in the offensive zone yet producing similar 5 x 5 stats against equal or better competition then the bloke in the top six.   Hope they realize they have all the power in the NHLPA and come up with some innovative ways to prolong their career and get more fair pay-cheque.   

Math per point .... or how much does each player get paid per goal or assist etc.   Interesting exercise.  Some stars earn it, most don’t. 

If an aging player loses his abilities that's one thing.  But shouldn't he be giving 100% every night? 

Do you think LE is doing that? 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

If an aging player loses his abilities that's one thing.  But shouldn't he be giving 100% every night? 

Do you think LE is doing that? 

I’m one who actually believes Loui is giving 100%.  He’s gotten old.  No legs, no hands, and no strength.  I’m actually surprised he doesn’t take more penalties from frustration that he can’t keep up and truly compete anymore.  I’m sure this summer (and likely earlier in the season too) have been really hard on Loui’s ego.  He’s learned that no team wants him.  He’s having to come to terms with the fact he is no longer an NHL player.  These would be very hard to accept for a proud (once star) NHL player.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m one who actually believes Loui is giving 100%.  He’s gotten old.  No legs, no hands, and no strength.  I’m actually surprised he doesn’t take more penalties from frustration that he can’t keep up and truly compete anymore.  I’m sure this summer (and likely earlier in the season too) have been really hard on Loui’s ego.  He’s learned that no team wants him.  He’s having to come to terms with the fact he is no longer an NHL player.  These would be very hard to accept for a proud (once star) NHL player.  

Seems to me it happened very fast then if you are right Alf 

Didn't he have 30 goals the prior year to signing here?  Also I've seen a few games (like against Boston ) where he was a much better player .  

Coincidence?

Also if he knew he was done what about the comments?  He wouldn't be saying that neither would his agent .

For whatever reason I don't believe he has wanted to be here for some time now . 

Edited by erkayloomeh

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

Seems to me it happened very fast then if you are right Alf 

Didn't he have 30 goals the prior year to signing here?  Also I've seen a few games (like against Boston ) where he was a much better player .  

Coincidence? 

I’d be surprised if Loui didn’t have some games where he was the Loui of 4 seasons ago.  It’s like that isn’t it, as a guy ages out?  They have moments, but those moments become fewer and farther apart.  Training becomes harder too, as does staying healthy, and recovery.  

I wonder if Loui tries camp and some preseason, and then retires as he accepts he just can’t play at the level he used to?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d be surprised if Loui didn’t have some games where he was the Loui of 4 seasons ago.  It’s like that isn’t it, as a guy ages out?  They have moments, but those moments become fewer and farther apart.  Training becomes harder too, as does staying healthy, and recovery.  

I wonder if Loui tries camp and some preseason, and then retires as he accepts he just can’t play at the level he used to?

He's been a useless piece of trash for his whole 3 years here, culminating in him complaining about Greener holding him accountable for his atrocious play.  I'm pretty sure that LE actually thinks the way he is floating around the ice is acceptable behaviour from an NHLer; the only way this bum will actually figure out he can't play in this league anymore is when Benning ships him to a league more suited to his skill and compete level: the AHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's been a useless piece of trash for his whole 3 years here, culminating in him complaining about Greener holding him accountable for his atrocious play.  I'm pretty sure that LE actually thinks the way he is floating around the ice is acceptable behaviour from an NHLer; the only way this bum will actually figure out he can't play in this league anymore is when Benning ships him to a league more suited to his skill and compete level: the AHL.

You don’t think Loui is learning this summer (as no team wants him) that he is no longer an NHL player?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I tried to find that game in YouTube where he got two goals.  I couldn't find it. But I have been anti LE ever since.  I don't think that was random 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You don’t think Loui is learning this summer (as no team wants him) that he is no longer an NHL player?

Given his outburst to the press, followed by his agent lying and saying that he is putting in an honest effort when it is clear he is not, I am not convinced this clown is smart enough to figure out he is not welcome.  The guy actually thought that he deserved more minutes as a reward for disgracing the Canucks jersey and himself last year.  Not sure there's any getting through to someone that out of touch with reality.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Given his outburst to the press, followed by his agent lying and saying that he is putting in an honest effort when it is clear he is not, I am not convinced this clown is smart enough to figure out he is not welcome.  The guy actually thought that he deserved more minutes as a reward for disgracing the Canucks jersey and himself last year.  Not sure there's any getting through to someone that out of touch with reality.

It will be interesting if he shows up to camp, what that will be like. They'll probably play him on the road to avoid the boos and see if he has any success from there. But he's going up against a group of hungry lions, just waiting to steal a roster spot away from him. This doesn't end well for Loui.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, mll said:

Fwiw Samuel Girard's agent (Ruel from Pat Brisson's CAA) says NHL players are taxed based on time spent in each city.   He explains that the season is divided in about 180 days and players are taxed wherever they are for the day - he gave the example of a team spending 2 days in Montreal, then 2 in Calgary, etc.  

That's correct, you're taxed on where you earn your income. Still an advantage for the 0 state income tax teams (41 home games there) but it's not a big advantage.

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now that Benning has been extended, I can see roster issues being dealt with. Prepare for Brock to be signed and Eriksson dealt by the end of August. 

I hope so. But I don't think Benning's contract status has an impact on either those things happening. If anything, it was an announcement to give the fans something to talk about in the dog days of summer. 

Boeser's contract status is the same as a number of RFAs. There's no rush to get a deal done. But the market should start to settle in the next 3 or so weeks.

As far as Eriksson goes, I think it's within our best interest to play hardball with him and send him to Utica. There's no need to accept a trade to one of Loui's preferred destinations if it means attaching significant futures or taking back equal salary commitments. Once he's down in Utica, he won't be blocking deals to Edmonton, Ottawa, etc (if that rumor is true). This trade needs to benefit us, not just Loui.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I hope so. But I don't think Benning's contract status has an impact on either those things happening. If anything, it was an announcement to give the fans something to talk about in the dog days of summer. 

Boeser's contract status is the same as a number of RFAs. There's no rush to get a deal done. But the market should start to settle in the next 3 or so weeks.

As far as Eriksson goes, I think it's within our best interest to play hardball with him and send him to Utica. There's no need to accept a trade to one of Loui's preferred destinations if it means attaching significant futures or taking back equal salary commitments. Once he's down in Utica, he won't be blocking deals to Edmonton, Ottawa, etc (if that rumor is true). This trade needs to benefit us, not just Loui.

I can see Benning and Co. playing hard ball with Loui. I wouldn't be surprised that management send Eriksson to Utica, especially if he doesn't earn a spot in the line up. It's really sad how far his career has degraded, especially offensively. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, zapperman said:

If there was a place to wager on it (I’ve looked), I would put $100 on LE hurting himself in training camp and going on LTIR. Then retiring. I take that bet at even odds as well. Not wishing that on him, just have a gut feel. 

Can you go on LTIR for hurt feelings?   We need to talk to the quack who helped Hossa fake a medical condition.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1