The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

44 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Maybe we're letting Edler walk?

Hope not as we need them all.  So many people think that since we have one skill set we don’t need another.  We need redundancy in many areas.  We need two of Hughes and we need two Boesers to compete.  Injuries, matchups etc are why.  We need to load up.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

IMHO this is just another good reason for JB to slow play the off-season. He should focus on team growth via year-over-year improvement of the young players, take advantage of teams with short-term cap problems, and add useful pieces on one year contracts (e.g. take a flyer if Dallas were to buy out Nichushkin). End of the day, the team is still figuring out who they are so it seems silly to add big pieces until that is clear. They have have enough vets to steady the ship so, best to let the kids discover who they are and allow new and current prospects one more year to develop.

One of the best trades the Canucks ever made was aquiring Ehrhoff on Aug 28, 2009, from cap strapped San Jose. Would much rather see them pursue this type of trade.

Erhoff trade was a great example of what this year needs (Again Risto is my pick there). Not only do you bring in a player that checks a ton of boxes, but it allows everyone else to return to their natural form without all having to step into roles slightly beyond them. Edler I want back but I want his role notched back a bit so he can be that physical d man who provides some offence but doesn’t have to carry the load.  In my scenario Risto and Hughes carry the load and Edler’s production is bonus and slightly sheltered.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

am i the only one that heard elliot freidman’s report that JB was disappointed when he learned  how little interest and value other teams had for the players jim was willing to move. people need to realize how hard it is going to be for jim to make good trades. 

I think that is posturing by the other clubs, and by JB as well

As posted above, those teams exceeding cap, will need to be looking for outs

Vancouver has excess cap and retention spots

So what I see are trades where excess cap teams upgrade with players from teams that are over cap, who do not want to just pack it in

Tanev @ 50% will have huge value to a team like Vegas, where they do a slight down grade in talent, but get to keep their talent level near normal

These types of trades will need to be made when Vegas starts to squeak

Same goes for Toronto, who it appears will be just about totally rebuilding their defense

Just like Old News says, wait them out

Let's do Andreas Johnsson (LW) + Zaitsev (RHD) + 2020 2nd + 2019 3rd        for        Baertschi @ 50% + Hutton @ 50% (sign and trade) 

(3M)                +        (4.5M)                                                  for               (1.7M)            +         (est 1.6M)

This saves Toronto 4.2 Million and with no big down grade in play, for a 2020 2nd +2019 3rd

This is only an example of the type of trade that I see goes down with these top teams (don't get hooked up in values....I am crappy at it)

Just look at the structure of the deal, using our excess cap, and our retention spots

It may even have 1st round draft pick value, I don't know, but if it does, great!

The other thing is...….I would not just make it to one team, I would make a similar deal with every team I could that needs cap relief, and then wait it out

If it happens great! If it doesn't, but I would make it clear to every team, I have multiple offers out and first come first serve

I would ask for the extra to be a first, but would take less...don't know how much less 2 X 2's?...…..I don't know.

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think there's any real pressure to get anything done in the trade market. 

If they can land a young, heavier presence RHD great, otherwise, stay the course.

But the work of 'rebuilding' the blueline does not need to be completed this summer imo.

I actually like the UFA D class - for precisely the reasons a lot of people here would have little interest in it.

Forget Karlsson - for similar reasons to forgetting about chasing a Gostisbehere = not the best fit/principal need - and the cost is too high/risky.

Re-sign Edler to an inflated cap, short term deal.

Stralman

Coburn

Hainsey

Gunnarsson

Sbisa

Chiarot - a younger depth option / perhaps Petrovic in that mix as well.

Lots of serviceable, older veteran placeholder options - that they can sign to a relatively short-term deal and supplement their depth / filling the need of a veteran harder to play against D  - and depending which of those guys it is, could enable them to move someone else (ie Tanev if he's looking to move on) for a younger D.

No assets cost.

No long term deals.

Lots of flexibility retained moving forward.

Veteran stabilizing element given the possibility of a couple rookies on the blueline this season.

Toronto will be gobbling up more than a few of those guys...…………...cause they can't buy anything good with their cap problems

lol, LOL, LOL!

They will be mourning the day they booted Gardiner out!

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think there's any real pressure to get anything done in the trade market. 

If they can land a young, heavier presence RHD great, otherwise, stay the course.

But the work of 'rebuilding' the blueline does not need to be completed this summer imo.

I actually like the UFA D class - for precisely the reasons a lot of people here would have little interest in it.

Forget Karlsson - for similar reasons to forgetting about chasing a Gostisbehere = not the best fit/principal need - and the cost is too high/risky.

Re-sign Edler to an inflated cap, short term deal.

Stralman

Coburn

Hainsey

Gunnarsson

Sbisa

Chiarot - a younger depth option / perhaps Petrovic in that mix as well.

Lots of serviceable, older veteran placeholder options - that they can sign to a relatively short-term deal and supplement their depth / filling the need of a veteran harder to play against D  - and depending which of those guys it is, could enable them to move someone else (ie Tanev if he's looking to move on) for a younger D.

No assets cost.

No long term deals.

Lots of flexibility retained moving forward.

Veteran stabilizing element given the possibility of a couple rookies on the blueline this season.

I was having this argument over in another thread, I actually like the "secondary market" d options as well. Nothing long term but at the same time likely serviceable. We can easily overpay for one of them for a 1 or maybe 2 year term. 

As far as risk goes, depending on the price I'd be pretty happy with a Ghost experiment, partly because Juolevi brings good size for the left side and I think we can find some larger RHD in the draft, and we have a hard hitting Woo in development so I think we'll be able to balance out the smaller bodies of Hughes and Ghost. 

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

We do though. 

Xxx-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-XXX

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Eriksson

Schaller 

Spooner

Out of the forward group we can afford to move Virtanen

We then have MacEwan Lind and Gadjovich as wingers that are gritty and score goals for depth, two of which play right wing

On defence

Edler?-Tanev

Hutton-Stetcher

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Biega

We can definitely use Stetcher as trade material, who I believe has better value than most think. With Woo projecting to be anywhere from 4-6 and Tryamkin being for sure a 6 guy our right side would be complete in 2 years if we got a good 2-4 RHD in a trade

I think we can use

Virtanen (solid third line winger with second line upside, prefer to keep of be a part of a trade for second line RW)

Stetcher (established 3-5 guy)

2020/21 first round pick

2020/21 second round pick

2019 second

2019 first

If we can use any of these pieces to bring in a legit 2-3 dman in the 22-24 year range then it's an absolute must.

In 2 years........maybe.  Virtanen is probably the best value for the return player they've got.  They'd be smarter to move Boeser than Virtanen

I don’t think we have a lot of value in trade chips, so the one thing I’d like to see JB chase is a top 4 RHD like Ristolainen and, honestly, i know he’s been dragged through the mud over various forums but I’m still fine with Myers, especially since that means we’ll still have Tanev in the mix. I’m also still more than willing to risk a Karlsson signing, unlikely as it is.  We have a bunch of guys on both sides capable of playing decent 3rd pair minutes so unless it’s a fit in the top 4 I don’t think it’s worth it.

Tanev/Myers or some mix around Ristolainen/Stecher gives us enough for a playoff push on the right side for a year while we wait to see what Woo and Tryamkin bring.  Looking at it like that, I think Stralman becomes a lot more intriguing as well, especially if he comes with minimal term. 

The left side, IMO, doesn’t need to touched as long as Eagle doesn’t leave the nest.  Edler and Hughes both have 40+ point potential so unless they want to find a defensive-defenceman to replace Hutton and partner with Stech on the bottom pair I don’t see the value using what trade chips we have to chase  a Ghost unless it’s a steal of a deal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing’s for certain, there’s no easy fixes for JB this summer.  

He’s going to get roasted for any UFA moves cap-wise and likely in the trade market asset wise.  

Maybe the best bet is just to stand pat... but darn, it feels like madness going into another year with the same D (or a minor shuffling of the deck.)

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

He’s going to get roasted for any UFA moves cap-wise and likely in the trade market asset wise.  

Maybe the best bet is just to stand pat... but darn, it feels like madness going into another year with the same D (or a minor shuffling of the deck.)

Agreed.  This is JB’s toughest year (summer) for sure.  If our d wasn’t so abysmal I would be fine with standing pat. But that can’t happen unfortunately.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If we can make Loui float away with a 3rd round pick or B prospect sweetener to a cap floor team and throw that money (plus maybe half a mil more) at Myers I still think that’s the easiest way to get better.  If we’re willing to sink that money into another useless player like Lucic, why not spend it on a guy who actually makes our team better at our weakest position?

I’d do Loui+3rd for a 9 goal, 30 point 29 year old #4 RHD.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Agreed.  This is JB’s toughest year (summer) for sure.  If our d wasn’t so abysmal I would be fine with standing pat. But that can’t happen unfortunately.

I agree. JB needs to make some kind of move, but a smart move. For starters no Zaitzev. He is a terrible defenceman. The give aways, the lapses, the missed plays and just poor play and the over paid long contract just makes that a no go. He's a bottom end D man. The leafs won't throw in anything good. Dubas is so high on how amazing he is portrayed to be that he'll expect Van to give up more to get Zaitzev. So moves like this are bad calls, too long of a contract for too poor of a player. Over pay but do it for a year or two not longer. Same should go for an UFA signing we make. Overpay but don't do it for more than a season or two.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wren223 said:

I agree. JB needs to make some kind of move, but a smart move. For starters no Zaitzev. He is a terrible defenceman. The give aways, the lapses, the missed plays and just poor play and the over paid long contract just makes that a no go. He's a bottom end D man. The leafs won't throw in anything good. Dubas is so high on how amazing he is portrayed to be that he'll expect Van to give up more to get Zaitzev. So moves like this are bad calls, too long of a contract for too poor of a player. Over pay but do it for a year or two not longer. Same should go for an UFA signing we make. Overpay but don't do it for more than a season or two.

The contract is not a good one and imo I don’t think that jb can afford another one, optically at the very least.

39 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I still think this summer is about getting rid of crap and drafting well. I don't want big moves yet.

• Upvote 2

If he was getting paid to take one it could be played as using cap space. Optically the Zaitzev contract would be one he can't afford because it is too long on a player that isn't playing up to the contract. JB can't be seen to take on another porject/reclamation. The leafs think Zaitsev shouldn't cost them anything to trade so I don't think they are throwing in anything extra to make it happen. That's the only way JB imo can take the contract on is if there is something extra coming to him, but there won't be. I've had to watch Zaitsev play the last three seasons and it has been hard to see. He isn't a very sound defenseman. He isn't an upgrade on what Van has now.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I still think this summer is about getting rid of crap and drafting well. I don't want big moves yet.

Ya, I agree. I don't think JB's best quality is his trades or signings. He seems to struggle in those areas but I'd say his drafting is good and I'm interested to see how this draft turns out. I'm hoping BPA in first round and then see what he digs up in the later rounds.

Just now, wren223 said:

Ya, I agree. I don't think JB's best quality is his trades or signings. He seems to struggle in those areas but I'd say his drafting is good and I'm interested to see how this draft turns out. I'm hoping BPA in first round and then see what he digs up in the later rounds.

Exactly.

I would love it if he dumped three players (Erikkson, Spooner, Granlund etc) and made a deal for Kapanen, and signed a 5/6 dman. I know that's asking a lot but I don't think they need any monster moves.

38 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’d do Loui+3rd for a 9 goal, 30 point 29 year old #4 RHD.

Notions like this are absurdly unrealistic. Try to see things from the other teams' point of view.  I doubt whether the player you describe there even exists, let alone being available for the price you quoted.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you were referring to signing Myers and not a trade. 

Edited by BlastPast
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

In 2 years........maybe.  Virtanen is probably the best value for the return player they've got.  They'd be smarter to move Boeser than Virtanen

Why 2 years?

I see that we are 3 pieces away from competing for playoffs

An offensive right side dman that can play top 4

Top line left winger

Second line right winger

And of course Boeser would get a bigger return, also leaves a huge hole to fill

Edited by Wanless