The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

1 minute ago, Wanless said:

Why 2 years

I see that we are 3 pieces away from competing for playoffs

An offensive right side dman that can play top 4

Top line left winger

Second line right winger

If a miracle happened, and we got EK we are a playoff team.  

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

Not necessarily, if injuries continue to dog him. 

EK Edler

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

OJ in Utica pushing for a spot.  Having a true number one D man makes a big impact on the rest of our D, and their minutes. 

Yes, injuries would derail our chances for the playoffs for sure.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If we can make Loui float away with a 3rd round pick or B prospect sweetener to a cap floor team and throw that money (plus maybe half a mil more) at Myers I still think that’s the easiest way to get better.  If we’re willing to sink that money into another useless player like Lucic, why not spend it on a guy who actually makes our team better at our weakest position?

I’d do Loui+3rd for a 9 goal, 30 point 29 year old #4 RHD.

I mean, if it's that easy to trade LE, I'm all for it. But I have my doubts. I've been one of the people saying a Lucic + for Eriksson swap would be good for us but obviously Myers would provide more value. I just don't think a LE trade is going to be that simple. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EK Edler

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

OJ in Utica pushing for a spot.  Having a true number one D man makes a big impact on the rest of our D, and their minutes. 

Looks like a damn good D corps. There's also the possibility that Tryamkin comes back; not this year, but sooner than later. 

Signing EK could put us over the threshold of being a playoff team. Our PP would be so much better with EK, Edler, Hughes, and Boeser on the points. 

I think we should focus on getting a big piece on defense by trade or free agency, and get a forward with the 10th pick of the draft. 
Getting Boldy could fill our need of a top 6 left winger. There are some good centers with the flexibility of playing wing as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Looks like a damn good D corps. There's also the possibility that Tryamkin comes back; not this year, but sooner than later. 

Signing EK could put us over the threshold of being a playoff team. Our PP would be so much better with EK, Edler, Hughes, and Boeser on the points. 

I think we should focus on getting a big piece on defense by trade or free agency, and get a forward with the 10th pick of the draft. 
Getting Boldy could fill our need of a top 6 left winger. There are some good centers with the flexibility of playing wing as well. 

If we could get Trouba here (providing the cost isn’t crazy) I wonder if him playing with Hughes, Demko, Gaudette, and other US guys might get him to extend with us?  EK or Trouba would be fantastic for our D.  

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If a miracle happened, and we got EK we are a playoff team.  

The problem I have with signing Karlsson is I don't think the team has a legit shot of anything but playoffs, with Karlsson in the lineup, for another 2-4 years, at that point Karlsson would likely be declining. 

The team is now at a point where using draft picks in trades for players 22-25 is the best option. Use picks from the next three drafts to complete the roster and then go back to filling the cupboards.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could get Trouba here (providing the cost isn’t crazy) I wonder if him playing with Hughes, Demko, Gaudette, and other US guys might get him to extend with us?  EK or Trouba would be fantastic for our D.  

Trouba would be perfect

Dougie Hamilton went for a first and two seconds

Trouba would fetch more, possibly Stetcher aAfirst and two seconds is a price I'd pay for a top pairing RHD that is in the same age group as our core

Edited by Wanless
Had Stetcher twice

Just now, Alflives said:

Trouba apparently wants to return to the US.  Custance says in the past he was connected to the Red Wings.  His fiancée is studying in Florida and there's the belief that he would like to either sign with Tampa or Florida. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Trouba would be perfect

Dougie Hamilton went for a first and two seconds

Trouba would fetch more, possibly Stetcher

A first and two seconds plus Stetcher is a price I'd pay for a top pairing RHD that is in the same age group as our core

I think Trouba only gets that return if he’s agreed to an extension with us.  Otherwise he’s only a rental.  Sure would be great to have a top pair of Trouba and Hughes though.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wanless said:

The problem I have with signing Karlsson is I don't think the team has a legit shot of anything but playoffs, with Karlsson in the lineup, for another 2-4 years, at that point Karlsson would likely be declining. 

The team is now at a point where using draft picks in trades for players 22-25 is the best option. Use picks from the next three drafts to complete the roster and then go back to filling the cupboards.

Great point. Like acquiring the Troubas, Dumbas, of the NHL. Tough to do but maybe there are teams flush with D and tight to the cap that need to offload a dman for picks. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trouba would be my first choice. RH D, young. If he came with an extension he would be worth the picks. Offer sheet him? Jets have a lot of signing to do and not much space. 

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EK Edler

Hughes Tanev

Stecher Hutton

Schenn

Yes injuries would keep us out of the playoffs for sure, just like it has for awhile now. These 2 ensure that. If we field a healthier top 4, our chances go way up.

19 hours ago, babalu said:

I don't think Meyers is a top pairing guy. Although he's going to be paid like one

He’s not a top pairing guy, we dont have a top pairing guy, we pretty much have to spread it around evenly

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Go on capfriendly.com and check out TO’s cap situation. It might help enlighten 95% of transaction rumours coming out of Toronto. 

TO is rumored to be looking at Colin Miller who is rhd on a similar contract. Cap reasons aren't the only reason they want to get rid of him. They are look8ng to upgrade because Zaitsev kinda sucks especially for the contract he has.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think that is posturing by the other clubs, and by JB as well

As posted above, those teams exceeding cap, will need to be looking for outs

Vancouver has excess cap and retention spots

So what I see are trades where excess cap teams upgrade with players from teams that are over cap, who do not want to just pack it in

Tanev @ 50% will have huge value to a team like Vegas, where they do a slight down grade in talent, but get to keep their talent level near normal

These types of trades will need to be made when Vegas starts to squeak

Same goes for Toronto, who it appears will be just about totally rebuilding their defense

Just like Old News says, wait them out

Let's do Andreas Johnsson (LW) + Zaitsev (RHD) + 2020 2nd + 2019 3rd        for        Baertschi @ 50% + Hutton @ 50% (sign and trade) 

(3M)                +        (4.5M)                                                  for               (1.7M)            +         (est 1.6M)

This saves Toronto 4.2 Million and with no big down grade in play, for a 2020 2nd +2019 3rd

This is only an example of the type of trade that I see goes down with these top teams (don't get hooked up in values....I am crappy at it)

Just look at the structure of the deal, using our excess cap, and our retention spots

It may even have 1st round draft pick value, I don't know, but if it does, great!

The other thing is...….I would not just make it to one team, I would make a similar deal with every team I could that needs cap relief, and then wait it out

If it happens great! If it doesn't, but I would make it clear to every team, I have multiple offers out and first come first serve

I would ask for the extra to be a first, but would take less...don't know how much less 2 X 2's?...…..I don't know.

I agree.  Canucks management needs to wait it out and weaponize the cap space, not blow their load on expensive ufa's.  

Edited by Comeback_Kings