The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, mll said:

They are willing to move Nolan Patrick for an upgrade.  That's not Gaudette.  They are looking for a proven C2 - that's not Sutter.  

They need a C2 because they cant have Patrick taking on the defensive matchups as it would hinder his offensive game.

Sutter would be the perfect fir for them. He could take on all the defensive matchups and the burden whilst allowing Patrick to develop his offensive game and letting Couts be the 1C he is.

Sutter, Tanev, 3rd in 2019, 2nd in 2020 (this will be the minimum for Ghost), they may want a prospect instead or in addition to

for

Ghost and a cap dump (to equal out the salaries)

9 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

They need a C2 because they cant have Patrick taking on the defensive matchups as it would hinder his offensive game.

Sutter would be the perfect fir for them. He could take on all the defensive matchups and the burden whilst allowing Patrick to develop his offensive game and letting Couts be the 1C he is.

Sutter, Tanev, 3rd in 2019, 2nd in 2020 (this will be the minimum for Ghost), they may want a prospect instead or in addition to

for

Ghost and a cap dump (to equal out the salaries)

They are looking to build a true scoring 2nd line.  They want a C2 to play with van Riemsdyk and Voracek/Konecny.  Those are offensive players. They are not looking for someone like Sutter at C2.  Easier minutes and less pressure to score for Patrick at C3.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

With Edler leaving I doubt there is any doubt that Hutton is resigned. Again I am not suggesting he is more than a borderline 2nd pairing d-man. On a CUP contender he is a 3rd pairing. I do not see Hutton still being with the team when they are CUP contenders. 

Your right, he is a "plug" in the hole we call a defense. That part you are correct. He will be moved out as we get legit NHL defenseman who are a better fit to go far in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I'm on the other side of it with EK but I can see where people are coming from.  An 11.5 on the books means you can't have any Eriksson / Lucic / Neal type deals lying around and, yes, it would be a bad look in 5-7 years.  I still think you can build around it, for a premier player who's on the ice for almost half the game.  

Anyways, we aren't getting EK now.  I agree with Stawns that Edler is extremely critical if we want to keep making progress.. yet I also think JB needs to ensure it's a reasonable deal.  

How JB navigates this offseason should have huge lasting effects.

Well written and thought out. I completely agree, how this off season is handled is going to say a lot about the next several years. These types of signings are what make or break teams. If nothing else it will be fun to watch unfold. Here is to hoping JB has something up his sleeve. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

the new NHL?  Tell that to the two teams in the finals, and almost all the teams actually in the playoffs.  This "new NHL" is a myth.  Teams that go heavily on a youth movement are always on the outside looking in.  Veteran teams win Cups

So, not supporting or really even talking about the 'new' NHL.  Just referring to it is passing as I lay out why I am not for trading assets for Ghost.  

We would have the smallest d in the league.... pun intended.  

No one wants that, no matter what your wives tell.you... no one.  

I don't think we want anymore small NHL d men with Hughes and Stecher on the roster.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

There may be some bargain bin shopping for JB if Eddy doesn't sign. Maybe some teams that are at the cap want to off load a veteran dman to free up space. 

There might be some even when he does sign ;) 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

How JB navigates this offseason should have huge lasting effects.

This off season is due or die for him, he has to try and improve this team and not give out max contracts to players like gardiner or myers who are worthy of 7year deals imo. His job might be on the line, he has had enough time here to turn things around, he has made some good moves and poor ones. Time to see what he is made of but I give him this year upcoming and thats it. If he locks up players to bad deals with ntc or nmc hindering us going forward he could be gone next spring

49 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

This off season is due or die for him, he has to try and improve this team and not give out max contracts to players like gardiner or myers who are worthy of 7year deals imo. His job might be on the line, he has had enough time here to turn things around, he has made some good moves and poor ones. Time to see what he is made of but I give him this year upcoming and thats it. If he locks up players to bad deals with ntc or nmc hindering us going forward he could be gone next spring

He's always been able to get deals done, so I expect some action this offseason.  I also expect people to think we overpaid with contract and assets be it in UFA or trade... for me, the proof will be in the pudding of how the season unfolds.  

It's looking less and less likely that he'll be able to land one of the bigger fish (which some people will be relieved about) so JB goes back to the bargain bin where, admittedly, he hasn't had a lot of success with on defence.  Still, there's Juolevi/Hughes/Woo/Tryamkin in the wings if he can just get us through the season.  There will be always different opportunities as the year progresses.  Maybe the bargain bin bandaids will end up being the right call.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1

I'm starting to get a bad feeling on the next two to three weeks. We will be leaving empty handed on possible trades and UFA's. We have little to offer in trade. We can offer UFA's cash and term but if they dont want to be here it doesnt matter. One can hope the secondary market will provide options. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

They are looking to build a true scoring 2nd line.  They want a C2 to play with van Riemsdyk and Voracek/Konecny.  Those are offensive players. They are not looking for someone like Sutter at C2.  Easier minutes and less pressure to score for Patrick at C3.  

Horvat would be a perfect fit. Maybe packaged with Hutton

Horvat could play second line C with his cousin Travis Konecny and Hutton could be reunited with his off season training parter Claud Giroux 

We would need to get a lot back. 

Horvat, Hutton, 2019 40th 

Patrick, Provorov, 2019 11th 

Edited by kenhodgejr

Karlsson, Trouba, and Edler appear all of the board. Myers likely stays in Winnipeg? or do they still need cap space?

Looks like some Jake Gardiner - I'm sure he would love to play here with the kids. Who do we trade for from here?

That Provorov for Horvat deal you take and run to the airport. No brainer there. 

Patrick could fill those shoes sooner rather than later and the 11th overall could also provide a replacement or another piece to rebuild the D. 

Provorov is worth more than Horvat by the way.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

That Provorov for Horvat deal you take and run to the airport. No brainer there. 

Patrick could fill those shoes sooner rather than later and the 11th overall could also provide a replacement or another piece to rebuild the D. 

Provorov is worth more than Horvat by the way.

Provorov not worth more than Bo IMHO. Also, Patrick has yet to show he is worthy of his draft position. 

Edited by rekker