The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

There has to be a scenario that works within the names you've mentioned. The fly in the ointment for me is Carolina. That have a plethora of D and a need for a Nylander. 

Will Carolina want to absorb cap though?  There really aren't many teams able to absorb cap right now.  Leafs are in a win now mode too, so they won't want a guy coming back with high cap.  Mackenzie seemed to feel the Canucks are in a very advantageous position (cap wise) right now.  Whether our owner will let JB use that advantage is another question.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Never going to happen. Also the ladt i read, cap is going up by 3.5m.

Mackenzie, I think, is pretty tuned in to the league, and what's happening.  The cap is not going up by what first thought.  The players don't want to have a false escalator, and then just give back 20% with escrow.  Mackenzie even mentioned the Jets as being up against a cap wall.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

There has to be a scenario that works within the names you've mentioned. The fly in the ointment for me is Carolina. That have a plethora of D and a need for a Nylander. 

Seravelli says the belief is that the Jets have offered up Ehlers for one of their right shot-D.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mackenzie, I think, is pretty tuned in to the league, and what's happening.  The cap is not going up by what first thought.  The players don't want to have a false escalator, and then just give back 20% with escrow.  Mackenzie even mentioned the Jets as being up against a cap wall.

Fair. Im not up to date with cap increase projections. This offer will never lamd what wasasked though.  Even if it were fair value based kn cap relief, 29 other teams will offer something better than tanev at 50%.

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Fair. Im not up to date with cap increase projections. This offer will never lamd what wasasked though.  Even if it were fair value based kn cap relief, 29 other teams will offer something better than tanev at 50%.

Mackenzie was pointing out that a lot of teams are up against the cap though.  He even mentioned Winnipeg as against it!  

This could be a fun couple of weeks!  

The lower the cap turns out to be, the better for us.

We probably have the most cap space to weaponize of teams that can afford to do it.

More teams screwed on cap space, the better the odds of us getting steals in trades (if JB can pull it off).  Anyone with term of 2 years or less is easy for us to absorb since we need to save room for Petterson and Hughes coming off their ELCs anyways.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mackenzie was pointing out that a lot of teams are up against the cap though.  He even mentioned Winnipeg as against it!  

This could be a fun couple of weeks!  

Alot of teams aren't as well.

• Upvote 1

I’m all for a Colin Miller trade as Vegas has a new GM with a difficult task to steer his cap crunched ship out of rocky waters. Decent cap, good term and Vegas has some extra 2nds and 3rds for that good ol sweetener.

Stralman in FA won’t cost you the term and coin that the Myers and Gardiner will be asking for. Starting to think that Edler is sitting pretty now with EK locked up. Jim has options but won’t be a big splash that some on here are expecting.

• Cheers 1

The best chip we have to trade is our 10th pick, unfortunately.

Gunna have to capitalize on a team in cap trouble I think, otherwise settle for taking on a bad contract (Zaitsev) or overpaying in free agency.

This is where poor asset management has come back to bite us. And no doubt therea pressure to improve, JB might have to pull a few rabbits out of his hat to save his job.

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The best chip we have to trade is our 10th pick, unfortunately.

Gunna have to capitalize on a team in cap trouble I think, otherwise settle for taking on a bad contract (Zaitsev) or overpaying in free agency.

This is where poor asset management has come back to bite us. And no doubt therea pressure to improve, JB might have to pull a few rabbits out of his hat to save his job.

You need to have assets to manage before you can declare it 'poor'. We're only just starting to get to a point where we actually have movable pieces.

The cold reality is that even with an extra 2nd rounder or two, we're largely in the same boat either way.

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You need to have assets to manage before you can declare it 'poor'. We're only just starting to get to a point where we actually have movable pieces.

The cold reality is that even with an extra 2nd rounder or two, we're largely in the same boat either way.

I dont think we are at that point. At the risk of rehashing old arguments, we did have some closer to when Benning took over.

An extra 2nd or two would be big right now. Those picks are trade chips that could help get a defenseman, as weve seen.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

The lower the cap turns out to be, the better for us.

We probably have the most cap space to weaponize of teams that can afford to do it.

More teams screwed on cap space, the better the odds of us getting steals in trades (if JB can pull it off).  Anyone with term of 2 years or less is easy for us to absorb since we need to save room for Petterson and Hughes coming off their ELCs anyways.

This is how I see it too, could also lead to more trades as teams will have more to shed than expected. 

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I dont think we are at that point. At the risk of rehashing old arguments, we did have some closer to when Benning took over.

An extra 2nd or two would be big right now. Those picks are trade chips that could help get a defenseman, as weve seen.

Benning moved pretty much anything he could, short of perhaps Tanev.

I was referring to the much disputed 2nds he moved for Baer/Vey/Gud. Undo those moves and we're still likely basically in the same spot.

Sure extra seconds all around! You get a second, you get a second, everybody gets a 2nd!

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

the exploding heads would.......explode if benning traded picks.

• Haha 1