The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

11 minutes ago, J-P said:

Not sure how P.K. Subban would fit with the team regarding personality, not saying it wouldn't work fine, but apart from that Tanev for Subban straight up actually makes a lot of sense for both teams.

VAN: P.K Subban

NSH: Tanev (50% retained)

Subban isn't really needed in NSH as Josi is way better and their other D:s too good to motivate Subban's salary as basically a second pairing guy. This deal would give NSH plenty of cap room to get even stronger up front instead.

Subban's age and contract (3 yrs remaining with a $9 mil cap hit) isn't perfectly aligned with the Canuck's rebuild, but still a piece that's needed asap.

Edler - Subban

Hughes - FA

Hutton/OJ - Stecher

That's miles better than this season.

Don't think the Preds do this. Don't get me wrong, the almost $7m in cap space would certainly be an asset to them but I doubt it's enough to move PK. They could almost certainly do better elsewhere. Though if it means they could target Duchene etc in FA...who knows.

It's not a bad idea but I'm pretty sure we'd need to add.

Ellis, Fabbro, Tanev, Weber, Irwin is still a pretty good right side...

2 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

they would not have to, not enough games i think.

benning would love subban, as a media distraction

I don’t think eligibility is linked to games.

You could be right about Benning liking Subban as a distractor. Give this city’s media something to talk about so they don’t have to continually make up topics.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its part of his contract, they still have to ask to keep things legal, but unless he's going to miraculously recover, its just protocol to request the list.

Its the same situation as Hossa with Chicago. He accepted trade, knowing that he would never report to the team.

Clarkson doesn't even have a stall setup in Vegas and never has. Unless there's a chance of him resuming his career, which is not what has been reported, its just shuffling paperwork.

Would there not be a tax advantage in some States/Provinces though (Florida, Texas, etc)

Edited by thundernuts

12 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Would there not be a tax advantage in some States/Provinces though (Florida, Texas, etc)

Could be, and yes, that is a consideration, but I don't think I've ever heard of a player in his condition, that has blocked a team moving his contract. 

He's originally from Toronto, to get the tax advantage, he's going to have to move to whichever city he's traded to. If he just parks back in Canada, he's subject to Canadian tax laws.

You have a point that he "could" enforce his NTC, but I think its highly unlikely considering he hasn't played a game in at least 3 years, and hasn't played more than 30 total in the last 5. His career is over, contract of an injured player can't be bought out from my understanding, so its just a question of who holds his contract for the remaining 1 year duration.

Edited by VegasCanuck
Addition

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Could be, and yes, that is a consideration, but I don't think I've ever heard of a player in his condition, that has blocked a team moving his contract. 

He's originally from Toronto, to get the tax advantage, he's going to have to move to whichever city he's traded to. If he just parks back in Canada, he's subject to Canadian tax laws.

You have a point that he "could" enforce his NTC, but I think its highly unlikely considering he hasn't played a game in at least 3 years, and hasn't played more than 30 total in the last 5. His career is over, contract of an injured player can't be bought out from my understanding, so its just a question of who holds his contract for the remaining 1 year duration.

Ah.  Thanks for the info.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:21 PM, mll said:

They are looking to build a true scoring 2nd line.  They want a C2 to play with van Riemsdyk and Voracek/Konecny.  Those are offensive players. They are not looking for someone like Sutter at C2.  Easier minutes and less pressure to score for Patrick at C3.  

Patrick will be in his 3rd season. Don't think they are looking to shelter him anymore. They need Patrick to play C2 and bring in a C3 that can take on the heavier defensive responsibilities. Many Flyers fans are expecting Patrick to have a breakout season; hes not doing that as the 3rd line center.

I agree with you they are looking to build a true scoring 2nd line, BUT with Patrick, not with someone else.

8 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Patrick will be in his 3rd season. Don't think they are looking to shelter him anymore. They need Patrick to play C2 and bring in a C3 that can take on the heavier defensive responsibilities. Many Flyers fans are expecting Patrick to have a breakout season; hes not doing that as the 3rd line center.

I agree with you they are looking to build a true scoring 2nd line, BUT with Patrick, not with someone else.

They've also likely got Frost arriving this year.

If I'm Benning

I sign Boeser immediately and let Edler walk.

I draft at 10.

Sign Marner to a 12-12.5 million offer sheet and give up the next 4 1st round picks. They'll be low 1st rounders anyways 

I trade Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Schaller, Granlund, Motte to free up space. Keep Tanev and try to sign a defenseman like Gardiner at free agency

Boldy Pettersson Boeser

Marner Horvat Virtanen

Hughes Gardiner

Juolevi Woo

Stetcher Tanev

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

If I'm Benning

I draft at 10.

Sign Marner to a 12-12.5 million offer sheet and give up the next 4 1st round picks. They'll be low 1st rounders anyways 

I trade Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Schaller, Granlund, Motte to free up space. Keep Tanev and try to sign a defenseman like Gardiner at free agency

Boldy Pettersson Boeser

Marner Horvat Virtanen

Hughes Gardiner

Juolevi Woo

Stetcher Tanev

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

If I'm Benning

I draft at 10.

Boldy Pettersson Boeser

Marner Horvat Virtanen

Hughes Gardiner

Juolevi Woo

Stetcher Tanev

Are you in a dark basement Xbox, GM mode? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

If I'm Benning

I draft at 10.

Boldy Pettersson Boeser

Marner Horvat Virtanen

Hughes Gardiner

Juolevi Woo

Stetcher Tanev

Cap is not going up any time soon.  Big dollars on one guy will make it hard to challenge for a cup.  Need guys to contribute on their ELC too.  

27 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

If I'm Benning

I draft at 10.

Boldy Pettersson Boeser

Marner Horvat Virtanen

Hughes Gardiner

Juolevi Woo

Stetcher Tanev

F7B85908-00BE-4914-BAFE-93693C8CF1B8.gif.1276374ee9a9bba5781a906bea76048c.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, billabong said:

To van: dumba, brodin

to min: boeser, virtanen

Even value? But it would be ballsy to deal boeser and hometown kid virtanen 

I don’t like the trade just because Boeser is in it. Virtanen is a wild wild card. If we move him, and he flourishes, it’s Neely like all over again, not that Jake would be the player Neely was. But it would remind a lot of the fan base. 

Boeser is. Boeser. He’s going to be a great goal scorer in this league. The Canucks are having trouble scoring. Don’t think it’s wise to get rid of the few players we have that is able to fill the back of the net. Benning does this trade. He’s asking to be relieved of his duties as GM. LOL 

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think he would wait for draft day anyway. 

Too many Rumors that the pic is in play to ignore. 

Man I hope those Rumors are just a sports journalist circle jerk, not the truth. 

It's a 10th OA, not a top 5. If someone is willing to overpay for that 10 I hope JB jumps on it

On 6/16/2019 at 6:45 AM, wren223 said:

Now this is near impossible for JB to pull but how about picking up Zaitzev + Kapanen. Then flipping Zaitzev + 1.5 million retained to a team looking for D and getting a decent pick or trading to Vegas for Miller as they are up against the cap? Is the retaining enough to make Zaitzev an interesting enough 5/6 Dman? We have the cap room to eat that 1.5 for a few seasons and then we aren't stuck with that horrendous player but uses our cap to make a deal for a pick or maybe a trade to Vegas with something else added in.

As for LE, shop him to a team like Ottawa trying to make the cap floor. Pay his bonus and retain some salary to make it appealing for Melynak (sp).

I'd like to see Spooner dumped too. Granlund I don't know what to do with yet.

Would you consider Granlund on your rec team?

5 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I can't see how Vegas will right its cap situation without moving some important pieces. 

Subject to NMCs/NTCs being waived, I assume Stone, Pacioretty, Stastny, Smith and Marchessault won't be moved. They have to re-sign William Karlsson who regressed last season but still put up 56 points.  Based on how their team is designed, my guess is they would prefer to keep Karlsson and shed some other contracts since Karlsson is presumably one of their top-2 centres.

Others have already suggested acquiring Colin Miller as an alternative to going after a guy like Ristolainen.  He regressed last year as well, but he seems like he would be a reasonably good fit with the Canucks giving his right hand shot, age and production so far.  Trading Miller alone won't free up much cap space for Vegas though.

That makes me wonder if guys like Eakin or Tuch might be available.  Including them in a deal would presumably make the cost very high (e.g. 1st Round plus prospects, roster players), but if Vegas needs to shed cap, perhaps a team or teams may be able to scoop some of these guys.

Not sure if the Canucks would be able to make a deal for one or more of those players work, but at least one of them would and should presumably be a target.  Miller is probably the highest priority as a RHD but it would be amazing if the Canucks could acquire Tuch as well.

Both or either would be excellent targets, I really like both of their contracts too.  I’m not one who is against giving up the #10 overall for the right deal, especially if the age and contracts coming back are good.  I would deal #10 if we could get both those guys out of Vegas even if it took a bit more. 

4 hours ago, Seannnp said:

If I'm Benning

I draft at 10.

Boldy Pettersson Boeser

Marner Horvat Virtanen

Hughes Gardiner

Juolevi Woo

Stetcher Tanev

tenor.gif?itemid=4922422

You're a genius bro.  Why arent you running your own show?  The way you finessed that Marner deal is just brilliant.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Why are you comparing a D core to a forward group? There are 12 forwards and 6 defense. Would you like to see what would happen if more than 50% of a D core are smallish offensive puck movers? Because I wouldn't. 

True, but right now only Hughes is a piece that for sure is part of our future on D.  

5 hours ago, billabong said:

To van: dumba, brodin

to min: boeser, virtanen

Even value? But it would be ballsy to deal boeser and hometown kid virtanen 

Not for Minnesota.  They have one of the best top-4 Ds and have no intent of breaking it up.  They have no replacement coming in the short term.   

They also don't have playmaking Cs so Boeser would not be producing at the same rate on their team.  This trade just weakens them defensively but also offensively.  Dumba in particular helps their offence.

Edited by mll