The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

On 6/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, JamesBlondage said:

It sure is an exciting time to be a Canuck fan isn't it!?!?

Definitely is.  The cost of the Miller trade overshadows the optimism of adding him to the mix but it also places a lot more focus on what the Canucks are going to do with all their forwards.

Unless there is a shocking trade involving Boeser, the top-6 seems like it will definitely consist of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Miller.  The bottom-6 should definitely have Beagle and Roussel.  Beyond that, it's a complete mystery.

Are Pearson and Leivo expendable in any way?  Of the forwards the Canucks have, their play last season and style of play seems to fit where the Canucks would like to go (including now with the acquisition of Miller).  I think it's highly likely they come back.

Will Eriksson be traded within the next couple of weeks?

Will Granlund and Goldobin be qualified?  Goldobin I can see but maybe not Granlund.  It would suck to lose Granlund without getting at least a mid-to-late pick for him.  He's a NHL player.

What in the world will the Canucks do with Baertschi?  How does Baertschi fit into this group?

Do the Canucks find Virtanen expendable now?  Or could we seem a top-6 of Miller-Pettersson-Boeser and Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen if the Canucks believe that Jake can make the next step?

Is Sutter going to be kept for another season?  I could definitely see them doing this since Gaudette is still waiver exempt and while he has played well, may benefit from playing a significant role in Utica.  Gaudette gives the Canucks a strong call-up option.

What will happen to Motte and Schaller?  Motte played well last season but is it a foregone conclusion that he will be kept?

All of this is not even considering what the Canucks will do on D.

• Cheers 1

Starting to think were going to get our D in free agency... really dont want Gardner or Myers at what they will command on the market...

Something big is going to happen on D it has to.  Our D is horrendous.  Unfortunately it's going to happen in free agency....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Starting to think were going to get our D in free agency... really dont want Gardner or Myers at what they will command on the market...

Something big is going to happen on D it has to.  Our D is horrendous.  Unfortunately it's going to happen in free agency....

Or we could trade for Barrie tomorrow.

We'll have to wait and see.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Or we could trade for Barrie tomorrow.

We'll have to wait and see.

That's a tough trade to make now that our 1st is off the table. You'd have to think our 2nd rounder is close to untouchable. 

It would probably take Gaudette and Woo to make it happen. Maybe even more? 

All these forwards we are drafting and trading for has me TERRIFIED the Canucks are putting all the eggs in the gardiner/Myers basket and will offer all the money to get it done

a lot can change between now and then but signs are pointing towards it 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

All these forwards we are drafting and trading for has me TERRIFIED the Canucks are putting all the eggs in the gardiner/Myers basket and will offer all the money to get it done

a lot can change between now and then but signs are pointing towards it 

It sure does unfortunately.

There is still the possibility of a trade for a D.

Miller in Vegas....they are in a cap crunch.

Zaitsev in TO....a bit of a cap crunch.

I am still hopeful JB can get a top 4 D with some of the parts we have (Virtanen, Tanev, Sutter,). I know they don't have tons of value but they certainly do have some.

Then try to sign Stralman as a UFA.

Myers/Gardiner seem like a bad idea.

37 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There is still the possibility of a trade for a D.

Miller in Vegas....they are in a cap crunch.

Zaitsev in TO....a bit of a cap crunch.

I am still hopeful JB can get a top 4 D with some of the parts we have (Virtanen, Tanev, Sutter,). I know they don't have tons of value but they certainly do have some.

Then try to sign Stralman as a UFA.

Myers/Gardiner seem like a bad idea.

Miller would be good. Zaitsev not at all. 

I’d rather Benning go for size in UFA. Chiarot would be a great depth signing. He’s more physical than Myers is, and hopefully Winnipeg re-signs him. Rather avoid giving a contract to middle of the road players like him and Gardiner. Not anywhere near worth it. 

Panarin and Bob will be in Florida on Monday.

https://www.tsn.ca/artemi-panarin-sergei-bobrovsky-to-meet-with-florida-panthers-monday-1.1327081

So we can speak to players starting tomorrow, I hope JB establishes quickly the chances of Panarin coming to Vancouver, he'd have to want to come here, forget a bidding war, then if not just move on.

Edited by aliboy
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 4:06 AM, aGENT said:

I was right with you other than trading Stecher and keeping Tanev. IMO, you got those two backwards. I also see us moving Hutton this summer or at some point this year.

I would LOVE to trade Tanev for Miller, even though we’d probably have to retain 50% of Tanev’s salary in that scenario

because VGK is so tight on cap (which is the main reason for moving Miller).

However, I don’t see Tanev fitting with VGK playing style. VGK mgmt will also know that Tanev is often injured. They will insist on Stecher. And if that is the only deal on the table, then JB should do it IMO.

• Cheers 1

So if we can get Myers signed long-term now, our D looks something like this

2018-2019

Alexander Edler

Chris Tanev

Tyler Myers

Quinn Hughes

Troy Stecher

Ben Hutton

——————

Luke Schenn (if signed)

Alex Biega

Olli Juolevi

And if we move on from Tanev and Hutton during the next year and we can get Tryamkin back when his contract is up it could be something like this next fall. I’d be very happy with that look

2019-2020

Alexander Edler 6’4”

Tyler Myers 6’8”

Quinn Hughes 5’10”

Nikita Tryamkin 6’7”

Olli Juolevi 6’2”

Troy Stecher 5’10”

A couple of smaller guys for sure, but size wouldn’t be an issue at least.

15 hours ago, aliboy said:

Panarin and Bob will be in Florida on Monday.

https://www.tsn.ca/artemi-panarin-sergei-bobrovsky-to-meet-with-florida-panthers-monday-1.1327081

So we can speak to players starting tomorrow, I hope JB establishes quickly the chances of Panarin coming to Vancouver, he'd have to want to come here, forget a bidding war, then if not just move on.

The chance of signing Panarin in free agency? Remote. Florida has so much more to offer than VAN: tons of cap space, really nice weather, sandy beaches, no state income tax.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The chance of signing Panarin in free agency? Remote. Florida has so much more to offer than VAN: tons of cap space, really nice weather, sandy beaches, no state income tax.

and coach Q.  

They also have Dadonov who was Panarin's linemate when both played for SKA St Petersburg.   They put on a show at the 2016 worlds.  

Edited by mll

We really should be trying to get C. Miller. The cost shouldnt be high and if JB was smart he would try to take on another contract from Vegas to to and recover a higher draft pick for the next draft. Could we somehow get a 1st from Vegas by taking Miller and another salary dump type player?

It also was too bad we couldnt send Tanev to Tampa along with say a 2nd and 3rd to save our own 1st but guess they just wanted to clear cap to sign Point etc.

Ristolainen would be another interesting option, I wonder what it would take to get him. 4 straight years of posting 40pts or more and he will only be 25 next year. Could be a nice partner for fellow Fin OJ going forward. 

Even Justin Faulk would be worth calling about to see what it would cost, although He along with Barrie are UFA next summer. Personally I hope we dont go crazy after Myers this summer but think it likely happens. No need for Gardiner after re signing Edler. If we sign Myers I would trade Tanev then target Barrie as hopefully being the next Hamhuis and coming home as UFA next summer...in a perfect world.