Sign in to follow this  
Rush17

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

I still vote we attempt a Marky+ trade for him.

Marky + Hutton + a prospect perhaps.

I would do that

• Hydration 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:01 AM, Canuckster86 said:

JB has been here long enough he needs to make a big bold trade that will bring us a good asset back. He will have to give up players or a 1st next year that people wont like, hard not to acquire a top 4 rhd without doing that.

make the 2020 1st top 5 protected (included lottery results)

Wow, well done, sir!  Great call and in such detail, including the expected fan response lol  B)

16 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

image.png.13261ffae746d25bfe559af84cb0e4cd.png

Excellent. 

As JB has been saying, prices have been high but he expects them to come down this week now that the cap number has been revealed, and that we're likely to see consummation of trades.  If they were in Barrie discussions, it's indeed likely that Sakic was asking the moon and he was right to walk away.  I still think they'd prefer to get the player they want in trade ("hockey deals") rather than lock up term and money in competition over a UFA.  Hoping that Buffalo is willing to deal now.

Presuming Tanev moved:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Risto

Hutton/Juolevi - UFA (placeholder)

Should also note, Benning said yesterday post-draft they want to add "at least one" defenceman, so we're going to minimally see one incoming, and which also necessarily means at least one of Tanev or Hutton are leaving.

• Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Wow, well done, sir!  Great call and in such detail, including the expected fan response lol  B)

Excellent. 

As JB has been saying, prices have been high but he expects them to come down this week now that the cap number has been revealed, and that we're likely to see consummation of trades.  If they were in Barrie discussions, it's indeed likely that Sakic was asking the moon and he was right to walk away.  I still think they'd prefer to get the player they want in trade ("hockey deals") rather than lock up term and money in competition over a UFA.  Hoping that Buffalo is willing to deal now.

Presuming Tanev moved:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Risto

Hutton/Juolevi - UFA (placeholder)

Should also note, Benning said yesterday post-draft they want to add "at least one" defenceman, so we're going to minimally see one incoming, and which also necessarily means at least one of Tanev or Hutton are leaving.

I see a trade coming 

• Hydration 1

Just now, vannuck59 said:

I see a trade coming 

I wonder what Hutton wants term and cap hit wise. With Hughes likely top 4 going forward and Edler in that spot for 2 years, I dont see us wanting to commit to Hutton for too long, I would give him a shorter term deal to take him to UFA or look at the trade market and see if you can snag a half decent pick for him. We can find a placeholder to fill bottom pair LHD minutes from within the organization or with a cheape UFA signing

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

I still vote we attempt a Marky+ trade for him.

Marky + Hutton + a prospect perhaps.

And you want to sign a "UFA stop-gap veteran" to replace him, right?  Green was on yesterday saying he expects Demko to get 20-25 games next year.  Are you suggesting we run with him as #1, or have him split with this as yet unnamed quality veteran backup that we're presumably going to be able to get, albeit while in competition with other teams like Calgary who desperately need one?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it really sounds like they intend to extend Marky and imo that's the right decision, not just for the team but for Demko's development and our goaltending in general.  Still two years to worry about expansion implications, and running with a backup-quality veteran and Demko without a solid D in front of them is not a recipe with a good taste right now, and JB likely agrees whole-heartedly.

• Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I wonder what Hutton wants term and cap hit wise. With Hughes likely top 4 going forward and Edler in that spot for 2 years, I dont see us wanting to commit to Hutton for too long, I would give him a shorter term deal to take him to UFA or look at the trade market and see if you can snag a half decent pick for him. We can find a placeholder to fill bottom pair LHD minutes from within the organization or with a cheape UFA signing

What's a youngish 20-point bottom-4 dman worth?  He made $2.8mil so would imagine they'd be asking in the 4+ range, and we'd maybe settle in between?  Also the issue of term -- not sure his UFA date, but he turns 27 next April so he likely has only this year left.  If we're sold on him we'd want to lock up UFA years, but if not we're sending him to free agency soon.  If it's serious talk about overhauling the D, it has to be him and Tanev leaving.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What's a youngish 20-point bottom-4 dman worth?  He made $2.8mil so would imagine they'd be asking in the 4+ range, and we'd maybe settle in between?  Also the issue of term -- not sure his UFA date, but he turns 27 next April so he likely has only this year left.  If we're sold on him we'd want to lock up UFA years, but if not we're sending him to free agency soon.  If it's serious talk about overhauling the D, it has to be him and Tanev leaving.

I think as nice as Tanev is he is son unreliable injury wise we should just move on. Take the pick with conditions on it or a pair of picks and look at Stralman as a possible replacement for him to play with Hughes. Maybe 3 yr 15m for him, will be 33, Myers is 29 so 7 years take him to 36, If Myers comes in at 6m I would be okay with that but more than that on max term is scary

39 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And you want to sign a "UFA stop-gap veteran" to replace him, right?  Green was on yesterday saying he expects Demko to get 20-25 games next year.  Are you suggesting we run with him as #1, or have him split with this as yet unnamed quality veteran backup that we're presumably going to be able to get, albeit while in competition with other teams like Calgary who desperately need one?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it really sounds like they intend to extend Marky and imo that's the right decision, not just for the team but for Demko's development and our goaltending in general.  Still two years to worry about expansion implications, and running with a backup-quality veteran and Demko without a solid D in front of them is not a recipe with a good taste right now, and JB likely agrees whole-heartedly.

Hey, I'm happy to keep Marky (just like I'm sure most would have been happy to keep the first we traded yesterday for Miller) and trade for Risto but you need to give to get. And they need a goalie so....

There's also more than one solid UFA goalie available ;)

Edited by aGENT

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's also more than one solid UFA goalie available ;)

Okay, but what's your goaltending plan sans Markstrom?

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Okay, but what's your goaltending plan sans Markstrom?

UFA, Demko and Ian freaking Clarke. As discussed.

Edited by aGENT
  • Confused 1

The Sharks are reportedly hearing offers on Brendan Dillon. Hopefully Benning is showing interest, as he checks a lot of boxes. Replaces Schenn’s physicality and then some, cap hit of $3.27M, slots into the top four immediately. 

According to Kevin Kurz who covers the Sharks for the Athletic:

As

has reported, the Sharks could be willing to move Brenden Dillon and his $3.27 million salary cap hit in the right deal

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

UFA, Demko and Ian freaking Clarke. As discussed.

... could be an “extortion” deal by Seattle at that point..  perhaps we let a good pick go to save us the Markstrom/ Demko tandem , at least until Dipeitro is up to snuff,. And or Markstrom or Demko then become tradeable assets... but hopefully that’s after we see a Cup ;) 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Sharks are reportedly hearing offers on Brendan Dillon. Hopefully Benning is showing interest, as he checks a lot of boxes. Replaces Schenn’s physicality and then some, cap hit of $3.27M, slots into the top four immediately. 

According to Kevin Kurz who covers the Sharks for the Athletic:

As

has reported, the Sharks could be willing to move Brenden Dillon and his $3.27 million salary cap hit in the right deal

I kind of suspected that they would entertain moving both Braun and Dillion.

They could use the futures - and cap (will probably have to go to UFA themselve though for a few more depth D).

I like Dillon - would take him at a reasonable price - particularly if there's an indication of willingness to re-sign and if the cost could be at least divided in the form of players/prospects - ie they have Nyqvist, Thornton, Pavelski, Donskoi expiring (and Meier, Lebanc RFAs) = tight cap work this summer (over 40 million tied up in 5 players).  They got a 2nd and 3rd for Braun - if the Canucks can subsitute a body like Goldobin, then maybe there's a trade partner there, but given how quickly Philly jumped on Braun, it'll be interesting to see how much demand there is for Dillon and what form the return has to take. 

Dillon would be a nice take though - perhaps even if they're still on on a Myers - they might give up a bit of high end shutdown intelligence if they were to move Tanev, but they become 'harder to play against' if they add a pair of sizeable RHD - and maybe more stable on their right side moving forward (assuming Dillon might stick around - otherwise there's not much point imo). 

Hard to project who would be a possbility in free agency as well - some good, older placeholder options that could come asset free and provide a good bridge term to the likes of Woo.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I kind of suspected that they would entertain moving both Braun and Dillion.

They could use the futures - and cap (will probably have to go to UFA themselve though for a few more depth D).

I like Dillon - would take him at a reasonable price - particularly if there's an indication of willingness to re-sign and if the cost could be at least divided in the form of players/prospects - ie they have Nyqvist, Thornton, Pavelski, Donskoi expiring (and Meier, Lebanc RFAs) = tight cap work this summer (over 40 million tied up in 5 players).  They got a 2nd and 3rd for Braun - if the Canucks can subsitute a body like Goldobin, then maybe there's a trade partner there, but given how quickly Philly jumped on Braun, it'll be interesting to see how much demand there is for Dillon and what form the return has to take. 

Dillon would be a nice take though - perhaps even if they're still on on a Myers - they might give up a bit of high end shutdown intelligence if they were to move Tanev, but they become 'harder to play against' if they add a pair of sizeable RHD - and maybe more stable on their right side moving forward (assuming Dillon might stick around - otherwise there's not much point imo). 

Hard to project who would be a possbility in free agency as well - some good, older placeholder options that could come asset free and provide a good bridge term to the likes of Woo.

Well, I’d like to think that Dillon would prefer to stay on the West Coast and maybe return to his hometown. Really though, he wouldn’t be going from a contender to an up and comer. I think there’s a good chance. 

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

image.png.13261ffae746d25bfe559af84cb0e4cd.png

I think Ren Lavoie tends to talk information as opposed to speculation/rumours.....

It'll be interesting to see how determined Buffalo is to move him.

For the Canucks, I think there are lots of potential options - and secondary options...(they don't necessarily have to go high end)...

Ristolainen

Myers

Dillon

Stralman

Hainsey

(Benn, Kronwall, Girardi, Engelland, Chiarot, Gunnarsson, Petrovic, Sbisa, Schenn....)

Trade market - maybe Cernak/Mayfield/?

Tampa seems to have a need (if they don't re-sign their own...and the Isles may have a 'surplus' of young guys - with perhaps a 'need' for a veteran?  Don't really know their intentions obviously, but shopping for a heavier young D might be an option as well.

Edited by oldnews

Why do we want Dillon - a 3rd pairing LD. 

Would you get rid of Hutton to slot him in? We gotta stop going after bottom pairing D and low end forwards at some point...sheesh.  

We need a top pairing D not another bottom feeding one.

12 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Trade Hutton for a pick...too expensive likely to play 3rd pair for us. Benn is a vet, sign him to a short term deal that should carry a reasonable cap hit. Allows OJ to start in Utica, which probably is for the best seeing as he missed all of last year basically

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think Ren Lavoie tends to talk information as opposed to speculation/rumours.....

It'll be interesting to see how determined Buffalo is to move him.

For the Canucks, I think there are lots of potential options - and secondary options...(they don't necessarily have to go high end)...

Ristolainen

Myers

Dillon

Stralman

Hainsey

(Benn, Kronwall, Girardi, Engelland, Chiarot, Gunnarsson, Petrovic, Sbisa, Schenn....)

Rather see us trade for Risto then gift Myers a Brinks truck for 7years. But that is another trade where we have to give up assets and after the JT Miller deal I dont know what we have to offer, or at least what most CDC fans will be happy giving up anyway...

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1