The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

6 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I would think so, unless it's a trade for depth players. I don't see how we have the assets for someone like Risto or Barrie right now, with our 1st having been dealt.

I suppose JB could offer guys like Virtanen, Juolevi, or Woo, but do we really want to do that?

With players like Brenden Dillon available, and San Jose looking for cap space, I would think Benning would keep that avenue open.

When we acquired Ehrhoff, it was the Sharks who contacted us, wanting to clear some cap space. So it's really an issue of what comes Bennings way this week, teams are going to be wanting to clear space prior to the 1st. It's actually good that we can't sign any UFA's prior to next Monday as that way JB can see what might fall into his lap. And I also hope he makes arrangements this week to move some contracts.

6 minutes ago, aliboy said:

When we acquired Ehrhoff, it was the Sharks who contacted us, wanting to clear some cap space. So it's really an issue of what comes Bennings way this week, teams are going to be wanting to clear space prior to the 1st. It's actually good that we can't sign any UFA's prior to next Monday as that way JB can see what might fall into his lap. And I also hope he makes arrangements this week to move some contracts.

Can't sign a written contract...but a lot of verbal agreement during that week (even though they are not suppose to talk term/$).  Benning could always back out of a deal, but that would leave a black eye on the Canucks word for future UFA negotiation during that window.

Edited by timberz21

27 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Can't sign a written contract...but a lot of verbal agreement during that week (even though they are not suppose to talk term/$).  Benning could always back out of a deal, but that would leave a black eye on the Canucks word for future UFA negotiation during that window.

Generally speaking they are going to look at options first and then make agreements later, unless it's a special player, like a Panarin, whom we are not signing. Most GM's are smart enough to look at the options first, as that's the whole purpose of this week.

Edited by aliboy

17 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Edler was also a home grown draft pick and not a free agent signing, that historically hasn't treated the nucks well. It's a recipe for disaster

Hamhuis was a UFA and turned out just fine.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Has Jim exhausted all all options from a trade angle?

Doubt it. There's a whole week here of teams trying to sort out their cap situation while also talking to UFA's etc and teams up against it that still need to make moves if they want to retain players/or move those players if they're unable to.

Toronto got out of Defcon 4 by moving Marleau but they're far from safe with multiple young players left to sign. Vegas is still up against it and might consider moving Miller. San Jose may still want to move Dhillin for a cheaper option. Lot's cookies left to crumble still ;)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt it. There's a whole week here of teams trying to sort out their cap situation while also talking to UFA's etc and teams up against it that still need to make moves if they want to retain players/or move those players if they're unable to.

Toronto got out of Defcon 4 by moving Marleau but they're far from safe with multiple young players left to sign. Vegas is still up against it and might consider moving Miller. San Jose may still want to move Dhillin for a cheaper option. Lot's cookies left to crumble still ;)

Defcon 4. Hahahahahahaha! Awesome. It's funny watching that team struggle to make everything work right now. I want Vancouver to avoid that cap crunch BS at all costs.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

With players like Brenden Dillon available, and San Jose looking for cap space, I would think Benning would keep that avenue open.

I think if we get him, Hutty isn't qualified. I'm kind of OK with that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think if we get him, Hutty isn't qualified. I'm kind of OK with that. 

See if we can move his rights for something. Otherwise...meh. No need to pay $4m for a 3rd pair D, we can sign a Benn etc for less to fill in/split duties until Juolevi's ready.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, no argument there. He was a solid warrior for us for many years. But that was creeping up on 10 years ago and times have changed. Dan was a complimentary player to an already solid D core who was competing for the cup. Myers is going to be our 1/2 when he should probably be a 3 or 4 on a good team. I think this argument is apples and oranges.

Under this regime free agents signings have not nearly gone so smoothly. I'm totally down for Myers if the term and dollar is reasonable. I just have my doubts in this free agent market that a reasonable term is realistic. If Benning decides this is the right path then I'll support him and hope for the best. My gut tells me this is a worrisome move.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

See if we can move his rights for something. Otherwise...meh. No need to pay $4m for a 3rd pair D, we can sign a Benn etc for less to fill in/split duties until Juolevi's ready.

hey we have to give the "asset management" group something to complain about, Frankie Corrado is too far in the rear view mirror now.

Yeah Hutty got overpaid in his 1st bridge deal and he's just not worth the raise to 4 mil now. Makes him pretty much un-tradable imo. I'd rather let him walk than pay him 4 mil given the guys available for less than 1/2 that as you point out. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Sure, no argument there. He was a solid warrior for us for many years. But that was creeping up on 10 years ago and times have changed. Dan was a complimentary player to an already solid D core who was competing for the cup. Myers is going to be our 1/2 when he should probably be a 3 or 4 on a good team. I think this argument is apples and oranges.

Under this regime free agents signings have not nearly gone so smoothly. I'm totally down for Myers if the term and dollar is reasonable. I just have my doubts in this free agent market that a reasonable term is realistic. If Benning decides this is the right path then I'll support him and hope for the best. My gut tells me this is a worrisome move.

Yeah, we've been rebuilding the last 5 or so years. If you're going to ignore that context, ESPECIALLY when it comes to FA's...

youre-going-to-have-a-bad-time.png

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They have to qualify him by tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

Generally speaking they are going to look at options first and then make agreements later, unless it's a special player, like a Panarin, whom we are not signing. Most GM's are smart enough to look at the options first, as that's the whole purpose of this week.

I just find it suspicious that come the early morning of July 1st, all these announcement start to unravel one after another like a deal magically came together quickly, when pending UFA spend the whole year pre-UFA negotiating with their teams.     The NBA is the exact opposite, they have that negotiation window too, but usually high-profile player wait a few days if not weeks before officially announcing the signing, after the market opens.

35 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I just find it suspicious that come the early morning of July 1st, all these announcement start to unravel one after another like a deal magically came together quickly, when pending UFA spend the whole year pre-UFA negotiating with their teams.     The NBA is the exact opposite, they have that negotiation window too, but usually high-profile player wait a few days if not weeks before officially announcing the signing, after the market opens.

Lots of deals are worked out in advance, just saying that GM's do tend to explore their options, unless it's a very special player. They explore their options, then prior to the 1st they finalize things, then on the 1st it's done, happens quite a bit.

Dreger (yes I hate Dreger) says for T.O. to trade Zaitsev T.O. will need to add a sweetener.

Would you guys go for a trade of Tanev at 50% for Zaitsev and a 2nd rounder?

Edit: Still get myers for no more than 6 x 6.

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Zaitsev

Nemeth/Benn  Schenn

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Dreger (yes I hate Dreger) says for T.O. to trade Zaitsev T.O. will need to add a sweetener.

Would you guys go for a trade of Tanev at 50% for Zaitsev and a 2nd rounder?

Sounds good to me.  I think that’s better than signing Myers or Gardiner to 7 times 7 to 8 million.  Zaitsev can log big minutes in our top four.  What about that trade you suggest for Zaitsev, and signing Myers? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Sounds good to me.  I think that’s better than signing Myers or Gardiner to 7 times 7 to 8 million.  Zaitsev can log big minutes in our top four.  What about that trade you suggest for Zaitsev, and signing Myers? 

I edited the post. Exactly what you mention. 

Then we would have an ok top 4 imo. Get some grit on the bottom pair.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wouldn't mind both Zaitsev and Meyers. Stretcher and Z can play it out for the bottom two right side minutes. They can both step up if injuries occur. Zaitsev can always be traded down the road if Woo claims a spot. This hinges on a Tanev for Zaitsev + swap though.  

• Upvote 2