The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

4 hours ago, Gäz said:

I think the problem people will find with McNabb, for us, is the fact that he's LD. I was looking at him too, though; Good player, no major injury issues... Not sure he'd move enough cap for VGK though. Moving him + Reaves is cutting it close, and that would be without taking any cap back — Pure dump.

It does look like Miller and Reaves should be the odd-men out on that team to effectively get them under with any sliver of wiggle room. I'm sure they'll be in the playoff hunt again around the deadline and would like some space to have options.

I would do it, providing JB has a way to move at least a couple of the contracts we need to move out.

Edited by aliboy

2 hours ago, Gäz said:

I think the problem people will find with McNabb, for us, is the fact that he's LD. I was looking at him too, though; Good player, no major injury issues... Not sure he'd move enough cap for VGK though. Moving him + Reaves is cutting it close, and that would be without taking any cap back — Pure dump.

It does look like Miller and Reaves should be the odd-men out on that team to effectively get them under with any sliver of wiggle room. I'm sure they'll be in the playoff hunt again around the deadline and would like some space to have options.

I would love to grab Miller and Reaves. Addresses two areas of need for us.

• Like 1

I still  think Zaitsev / Kapanen for Tanev at 50% would be an ok trade for the Canucks.

Zaitsev is not the far behind Myers in performance as a D.

We seem to be front runners for Myers so we could pick up 2 top 4 D who are both RHD. The Leafs shed cap which is what they keep saying they need to do and get a RHD in return for very cheap.

We then have:

JT Miller  Pettersson  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Kapanen

Roussel (in the fall)  Sutter  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  MacEwen

Edler  Myers

Dillion  Zaitsev

Hughes  Schenn

That is some serious bite in the line up for the first time in years.

Gaudette to get some more xp in Utica.  Kapanen provides some major speed with Horvat.

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I still  think Zaitsev / Kapanen for Tanev at 50% would be an ok trade for the Canucks.

Zaitsev is not the far behind Myers in performance as a D.

We seem to be front runners for Myers so we could pick up 2 top 4 D who are both RHD. The Leafs shed cap which is what they keep saying they need to do and get a RHD in return for very cheap.

We then have:

JT Miller  Pettersson  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  Kapanen

Roussel (in the fall)  Sutter  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  MacEwen

Edler  Myers

Dillion  Zaitsev

Hughes  Schenn

That is some serious bite in the line up for the first time in years.

Gaudette to get some more xp in Utica.  Kapanen provides some major speed with Horvat.

Surprisingly enough, reports have said that Toronto's been looking to extend Kapanen. If they do that, he's unlikely to be traded in my opinion, which baffles me a little bit if I'm being honest as I think Dubas really needs to be balancing that team more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Surprisingly enough, reports have said that Toronto's been looking to extend Kapanen. If they do that, he's unlikely to be traded in my opinion, which baffles me a little bit if I'm being honest as I think Dubas really needs to be balancing that team more.

If the Leafs have to match a Marner offer sheet of 12 million, I see them really struggling to be cap compliant by opening night.  They might have to trade AM for futures.  

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

More info came out today that some still think, even though they have agreed on a 3 yr (I believe) contract in theory with Kapanen, they could still trade him for cap space. It is odd though.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

More info came out today that some still think, even though they have agreed on a 3 yr (I believe) contract in theory with Kapanen, they could still trade him for cap space. It is odd though.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird scenario in my opinion and, outside looking in, I tend to question whether Dubas even knows what he's doing. lol

I guess we'll find out what happens soon enough.

• Like 1

Even some TO fans on hf know they just need to dump Zaitsev now but only because their cap situation is so farked up. Here are a couple posts:

Does any team want this albatross

dubas has to realize zaitev isnt returning u anyone special.... just get ridd of that cap hit

Not all TO fans agree though.

If Montreal buys out Alzner because they can land a big fish in free agency, I would want JB to consider him for our 2nd pair LHD.

That would again give us more size but would also allow Hughes to play on 3rd pairing while he learns the NHL but still play PP minutes.

Either Alzner or Dillon would be good in that spot. 

With Miller gone, Ristolainen is the only real D I see us strongly considering. We need a point producing D and a right shot aint bad either! 

We dont need anymore lefties, maybe a veteran bottom pair guy on a short term deal. Personally I think we should have targeted a D with that "disposable" 1st round pick and just went and signed a UFA winger for scoring depth. I like JT just not the price tag, considering we really need D and have since JB took over and he hasn't really done much to address it...via trade anyway.

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

With Miller gone, Ristolainen is the only real D I see us strongly considering. We need a point producing D and a right shot aint bad either! 

We dont need anymore lefties, maybe a veteran bottom pair guy on a short term deal. Personally I think we should have targeted a D with that "disposable" 1st round pick and just went and signed a UFA winger for scoring depth. I like JT just not the price tag, considering we really need D and have since JB took over and he hasn't really done much to address it...via trade anyway.

The JT Miller trade was excellent for this team.  JB did a great job considering the Avs gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for a 3rd liner. We have had holes in the forward group just as much as we have holes in the D group.

JB fixed one hole. Not sure why people keep whining about it.  :frantic:

Now that we're down to the crunch before the 1st, this could be a very interesting day. According to JB, up until today lots of talk, but now the GM's have to set themselves up for tomorrow, so let's see what happens. 

So the media hyped up Gardiner leading up to free agency saying the Canucks should choose him over Myers. Clearly he’s the better D blah blah blah.

Almost every top UFA signed today except Gardiner. How can that be when he’s the best D man available? Let’s see TSN try and spin that one.

Maybe it’s the fact that he’s worth nowhere near 7 million and no amount of Leafs hype is gonna change that. Seems like Gardiner and his agent bought into that and that’s the reason he still doesn’t have a contract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So the media hyped up Gardiner leading up to free agency saying the Canucks should choose him over Myers. Clearly he’s the better D blah blah blah.

Almost every top UFA signed today except Gardiner. How can that be when he’s the best D man available? Let’s see TSN try and spin that one.

Maybe it’s the fact that he’s worth nowhere near 7 million and no amount of Leafs hype is gonna change that. Seems like Gardiner and his agent bought into that and that’s the reason he still doesn’t have a contract.

I think it’s quite possible Gardiner is asking too much and priced himself out of today’s frenzy.

I’m very curious what the numbers are though, as far as his demands. And what he might actually settle for eventually.

I’d actually love to see us circle back to Gardiner, if things go quiet with him and he gets into a waiting game. See if he could be signed for something in the range of $6M AAV on a reasonable term.

If we could somehow move Tanev and Sutter out, we’d have more than enough space to re-sign Boeser, sign Gardiner, and sign our remaining players.

Left side: Gardiner, Edler, Hughes, Juolevi

Right side: Stecher, Myers, Benn*, Biega

*Benn arguably plays better on his off side

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think it’s quite possible Gardiner is asking too much and priced himself out of today’s frenzy.

I’m very curious what the numbers are though, as far as his demands. And what he might actually settle for eventually.

I’d actually love to see us circle back to Gardiner, if things go quiet with him and he gets into a waiting game. See if he could be signed for something in the range of $6M AAV on a reasonable term.

If we could somehow move Tanev and Sutter out, we’d have more than enough space to re-sign Boeser, sign Gardiner, and sign our remaining players.

Left side: Gardiner, Edler, Hughes, Juolevi

Right side: Stecher, Myers, Benn*, Biega

*Benn arguably plays better on his off side

I was just thinking about this while reading a thread on gardiner.

Sign him to a 5 year 6m per same as Myers. Could run with:

Edler  Myers

Gardiner  Stecher

Hughes  Benn

Or switch it up however it works. That would provide way more scoring from the back end then we have had in years.  

23 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler  Myers

Gardiner  Stecher

Hughes  Benn

Or switch it up however it works. That would provide way more scoring from the back end then we have had in years.  

I don't think it works no matter where you put Gardiner.

Hughes is a LHPMD - no need for Gardiner.

And additionally, Juolevi is on the way at some point, so let's not park a Gardiner in the way.

I think RW is a more immeidate position to look at potentially upgraded.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

JB has already made this team much tougher to play against.

We still need work to be done on the D.

I was just thinking that Phaneuf was making 7 million a year since 2013 until he was just bought out by LA. He obviously in not worth anywhere near that anymore.

What do you guys think about trying to get Phaneuf on a 1 year "show you can still play deal" at 1.5 million. Then replace Stecher with him. He is still better than Stecher and it would make our D much tougher to play against like the theme of this off season. Then trade Stecher - I think there would be interest.

You could then run with:

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Tanev

Phaneuf  Benn

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler  Myers

Gardiner  Stecher

Hughes  Benn

Hughes is the future and the future is now. 

Putting Hughes on the third pairing is akin to putting Boeser on the fourth line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

JB has already made this team much tougher to play against.

We still need work to be done on the D.

I was just thinking that Phaneuf was making 7 million a year since 2013 until he was just bought out by LA. He obviously in not worth anywhere near that anymore.

What do you guys think about trying to get Phaneuf on a 1 year "show you can still play deal" at 1.5 million. Then replace Stecher with him. He is still better than Stecher and it would make our D much tougher to play against like the theme of this off season. Then trade Stecher - I think there would be interest.

You could then run with:

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Tanev

Phaneuf  Benn

No way is Phaneuf better than Stecher at this point. No way! Stecher plays with heart and work ethic. Plus 9 last year was no coincidence. Sorry man but I disagree with you, our defence would be worse with Phaneuf 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

No way is Phaneuf better than Stecher at this point. No way! Stecher plays with heart and work ethic. Plus 9 last year was no coincidence. Sorry man but I disagree with you, our defence would be worse with Phaneuf 

Fair enough. i thought the additional snarl on the back end would be welcome and fit in with the rest of the moves.  I would disagree about Stecher being better than Phaneuf but to each their own.

Free agent Dion Phaneuf: ‘One bad year is not going to define me’ June 28, 2019, 12:14 PM

After a career that has included more than 1,000 NHL games and a season that featured more lows than highs, it would have been understandable if Phaneuf wanted to take a step back when the Los Angeles Kings bought out his contract earlier this month.

Instead, the 34-year-old intends to dive head-first into free agency as a UFA for the first time on July 1.

"One bad year is not going to define me," Phaneuf said Friday from his off-season home on Prince Edward Island. "I know I’ve got lots of hockey left."

The biggest reason he believes that is he still feels motivated to look for edges in the gym and still loves the game. He also looks back over a 14-year career and sees last season as an outlier rather than a predictor of things to come.

Phaneuf thinks he has plenty to offer if placed in the right situation. His top priority is joining a team with a chance to win and seems genuinely enthused despite the uncertainty that comes with being a veteran free agent.

"It’s not stressful," he said. "I’m excited for another opportunity. A couple teams have already reached out, which is nice."

Phaneuf doesn’t shy away from the fact he needs to bounce back from a season where he set career lows across the board – average time on ice (15:00), shots (80), points (6), you name it.

But there were some extenuating circumstances because of a disastrous Kings campaign that made no individual player look good. If you dig below the surface, Los Angeles actually fared reasonably well while Phaneuf was on the ice in sheltered usage (controlling 49.1 per cent of even-strength shot attempts) and there appears to have been some bad shooting and save percentage luck involved in his low outputs.

Still, Phaneuf figured he was a buyout candidate with all of the rebuild talk in Los Angeles at season’s end. It really started to become clear the organization was heading in a different direction when new head coach Todd McLellan didn’t reach out after his hiring and the Kings wound up terminating the last two years of his contract on June 15 – the first day of the NHL’s buyout window.

He holds no ill-will towards the organization and hasn’t let it affect his off-season.

Phaneuf and his wife went on a 10-day cruise in Europe shortly after the year ended and he’s been back working out on P.E.I. ever since. Earlier this week, he co-hosted the annual Special Olympics Gala in Charlottetown with figure skater Tessa Virtue and saw it set a record with more than $250,000 raised.

"Life is good," he said, at the outset of our chat.

Phaneuf is taking an open mind to free agency and seeing what comes his way.

This is not a particularly deep class of free-agent defencemen, with Jake Gardiner and Tyler Myers as headliners. Ben Hutton has drawn interest after not getting qualified by Vancouver. Then there’s a pool of veterans that includes Anton Stralman, Marc Methot, Dan Girardi, Ron Hainsey, Adam McQuaid, Andrew MacDonald and Phaneuf.

At six-foot-four and 220 pounds, Phaneuf saw the recent Stanley Cup victory by the St. Louis Blues as more proof that he can be of service to a NHL team.

"I’m a bigger defenceman and I still think you see value in that," he said. "Look at the team that won this year. They had a lot of big guys back there."

• Cheers 1