The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Fair enough. i thought the additional snarl on the back end would be welcome and fit in with the rest of the moves.  I would disagree about Stecher being better than Phaneuf but to each their own.

Free agent Dion Phaneuf: ‘One bad year is not going to define me’ June 28, 2019, 12:14 PM

After a career that has included more than 1,000 NHL games and a season that featured more lows than highs, it would have been understandable if Phaneuf wanted to take a step back when the Los Angeles Kings bought out his contract earlier this month.

Instead, the 34-year-old intends to dive head-first into free agency as a UFA for the first time on July 1.

"One bad year is not going to define me," Phaneuf said Friday from his off-season home on Prince Edward Island. "I know I’ve got lots of hockey left."

The biggest reason he believes that is he still feels motivated to look for edges in the gym and still loves the game. He also looks back over a 14-year career and sees last season as an outlier rather than a predictor of things to come.

Phaneuf thinks he has plenty to offer if placed in the right situation. His top priority is joining a team with a chance to win and seems genuinely enthused despite the uncertainty that comes with being a veteran free agent.

"It’s not stressful," he said. "I’m excited for another opportunity. A couple teams have already reached out, which is nice."

Phaneuf doesn’t shy away from the fact he needs to bounce back from a season where he set career lows across the board – average time on ice (15:00), shots (80), points (6), you name it.

But there were some extenuating circumstances because of a disastrous Kings campaign that made no individual player look good. If you dig below the surface, Los Angeles actually fared reasonably well while Phaneuf was on the ice in sheltered usage (controlling 49.1 per cent of even-strength shot attempts) and there appears to have been some bad shooting and save percentage luck involved in his low outputs.

Still, Phaneuf figured he was a buyout candidate with all of the rebuild talk in Los Angeles at season’s end. It really started to become clear the organization was heading in a different direction when new head coach Todd McLellan didn’t reach out after his hiring and the Kings wound up terminating the last two years of his contract on June 15 – the first day of the NHL’s buyout window.

He holds no ill-will towards the organization and hasn’t let it affect his off-season.

Phaneuf and his wife went on a 10-day cruise in Europe shortly after the year ended and he’s been back working out on P.E.I. ever since. Earlier this week, he co-hosted the annual Special Olympics Gala in Charlottetown with figure skater Tessa Virtue and saw it set a record with more than $250,000 raised.

"Life is good," he said, at the outset of our chat.

Phaneuf is taking an open mind to free agency and seeing what comes his way.

This is not a particularly deep class of free-agent defencemen, with Jake Gardiner and Tyler Myers as headliners. Ben Hutton has drawn interest after not getting qualified by Vancouver. Then there’s a pool of veterans that includes Anton Stralman, Marc Methot, Dan Girardi, Ron Hainsey, Adam McQuaid, Andrew MacDonald and Phaneuf.

At six-foot-four and 220 pounds, Phaneuf saw the recent Stanley Cup victory by the St. Louis Blues as more proof that he can be of service to a NHL team.

"I’m a bigger defenceman and I still think you see value in that," he said. "Look at the team that won this year. They had a lot of big guys back there."

I would agree that he’s still an NHL defencemen in the right scenario. 

Stecher is also a part of the long term solution here and Phaneuf would just take away from that IMO

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Fair enough. i thought the additional snarl on the back end would be welcome and fit in with the rest of the moves.  I would disagree about Stecher being better than Phaneuf but to each their own.

Free agent Dion Phaneuf: ‘One bad year is not going to define me’ June 28, 2019, 12:14 PM

After a career that has included more than 1,000 NHL games and a season that featured more lows than highs, it would have been understandable if Phaneuf wanted to take a step back when the Los Angeles Kings bought out his contract earlier this month.

Instead, the 34-year-old intends to dive head-first into free agency as a UFA for the first time on July 1.

"One bad year is not going to define me," Phaneuf said Friday from his off-season home on Prince Edward Island. "I know I’ve got lots of hockey left."

The biggest reason he believes that is he still feels motivated to look for edges in the gym and still loves the game. He also looks back over a 14-year career and sees last season as an outlier rather than a predictor of things to come.

Phaneuf thinks he has plenty to offer if placed in the right situation. His top priority is joining a team with a chance to win and seems genuinely enthused despite the uncertainty that comes with being a veteran free agent.

"It’s not stressful," he said. "I’m excited for another opportunity. A couple teams have already reached out, which is nice."

Phaneuf doesn’t shy away from the fact he needs to bounce back from a season where he set career lows across the board – average time on ice (15:00), shots (80), points (6), you name it.

But there were some extenuating circumstances because of a disastrous Kings campaign that made no individual player look good. If you dig below the surface, Los Angeles actually fared reasonably well while Phaneuf was on the ice in sheltered usage (controlling 49.1 per cent of even-strength shot attempts) and there appears to have been some bad shooting and save percentage luck involved in his low outputs.

Still, Phaneuf figured he was a buyout candidate with all of the rebuild talk in Los Angeles at season’s end. It really started to become clear the organization was heading in a different direction when new head coach Todd McLellan didn’t reach out after his hiring and the Kings wound up terminating the last two years of his contract on June 15 – the first day of the NHL’s buyout window.

He holds no ill-will towards the organization and hasn’t let it affect his off-season.

Phaneuf and his wife went on a 10-day cruise in Europe shortly after the year ended and he’s been back working out on P.E.I. ever since. Earlier this week, he co-hosted the annual Special Olympics Gala in Charlottetown with figure skater Tessa Virtue and saw it set a record with more than $250,000 raised.

"Life is good," he said, at the outset of our chat.

Phaneuf is taking an open mind to free agency and seeing what comes his way.

This is not a particularly deep class of free-agent defencemen, with Jake Gardiner and Tyler Myers as headliners. Ben Hutton has drawn interest after not getting qualified by Vancouver. Then there’s a pool of veterans that includes Anton Stralman, Marc Methot, Dan Girardi, Ron Hainsey, Adam McQuaid, Andrew MacDonald and Phaneuf.

At six-foot-four and 220 pounds, Phaneuf saw the recent Stanley Cup victory by the St. Louis Blues as more proof that he can be of service to a NHL team.

"I’m a bigger defenceman and I still think you see value in that," he said. "Look at the team that won this year. They had a lot of big guys back there."

Dion has a great attitude about things 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Figured it was time to bring this thread back since the Lucic/Neal trade thread is starting to turn into a "Risto trade" thread. 

I am curious how active we can even be in the trade market with our cap space after signing Ferland and still needing to re-sign Goldy and Boeser. Would have to assume Tanev is going out in any trade. Assuming we target a true top 4 d-man like the aforementioned Risto. I know people are worried about Ghost's size being added to the size of our current D core but I still think buying low on him might be a good idea. He has right side experience and I really do think he'd synergize well with Edler.

There's also the possibility of Shattenkirk if they are willing to take Eriksson and maybe a throw away pick or low tier prospect. He's not a complete cap dump player. He had nearly 30 points last season on a poor NYR team. I personally think NY just keeps him. He is very likely to have a bounce back season with a much improved NYR team.

Other than them I am not even entirely sure who may be on the move. Subban and Barrie have already been moved. Jokiharju has already been gifted to Buffalo.

I'm excited to see what Fantenburgh can bring. I don't think we need to overspend on a D man. Only if Sutter, Goldy, or another middling forward were in play add to one of our many D prospects. 

Hughes and Joulevi are our skill guys this year. Hopefully Hughes lights it up for our PP.

14 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

TJ Brodie? Trade futures to Calgary for Brodie (Calgary needs cap relief). Then trade Tanev, Baertschi to recoup said futures.

If Benning could get a half decent return for either of those players, especially Baertschi, I'm sure he would have done it without waiting to maybe acquire Brodie.

10 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

TJ Brodie? Trade futures to Calgary for Brodie (Calgary needs cap relief). Then trade Tanev, Baertschi to recoup said futures.

I would do that if Calgary dumped him for a low return. They do need to move him, Frolik, or Hamonic to be able to sign their guys (tkapuke, bennett, etc).

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Brodie/Hamonic

Benn  Stecher

Big step up from last year, that's for sure.

Edit: the general "rumors" out there are that calgary needs to move one of the three to get cap compliant - brodie, frolik, hamonic.  I wouldn't mind the nucks getting either brodie or hamonic. We have seen trades between the teams before so maybe calgary would move brodie or hamonic within the division. Although those trades did not involve them moving a good D man to the Canucks effectively making the Canucks a stronger team to play against numerous times each year.

Fun to think about though!

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Reading calgary boards they seem to be ok with the idea of trading Brodie. They need frolik gone as a cap dump and have mentioned wanting a cheaper replacement in any brodie deal.

Wonder if they would take Baer back retained 25% for brodie. They get a cheaper frolik replacement and free up 2m in cap space. They can dump frolik and be fine cap wise.

Edit: they seem to think they would get a better player than Baer for Brodie. I don't know if that is true considering they want a better player but also need it to be at a low cap. Trades now are gonna be hard to make considering so many teams are tight against the cap.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would do that if Calgary dumped him for a low return. They do need to move him, Frolik, or Hamonic to be able to sign their guys (tkapuke, bennett, etc).

Edler  Myers

Hughes  Brodie/Hamonic

Benn  Stecher

Big step up from last year, that's for sure.

Edit: the general "rumors" out there are that calgary needs to move one of the three to get cap compliant - brodie, frolik, hamonic.  I wouldn't mind the nucks getting either brodie or hamonic. We have seen trades between the teams before so maybe calgary would move brodie or hamonic within the division. Although those trades did not involve them moving a good D man to the Canucks effectively making the Canucks a stronger team to play against numerous times each year.

Fun to think about though!

14 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Reading calgary boards they seem to be ok with the idea of trading Brodie. They need frolik gone as a cap dump and have mentioned wanting a cheaper replacement in any brodie deal.

Wonder if they would take Baer back retained 25% for brodie. They get a cheaper frolik replacement and free up 2m in cap space. They can dump frolik and be fine cap wise.

Edit: they seem to think they would get a better player than Baer for Brodie. I don't know if that is true considering they want a better player but also need it to be at a low cap. Trades now are gonna be hard to make considering so many teams are tight against the cap.

Brodie doesn't really fit here - unless you propose to play him with Edler - and Myers with Hughes.

Brodie as a partner for Hughes = not a good idea imo.  

Brodie plays with Giordano - is enabled by Giordano - the idea of pairing him with a rookie pmd like Hughes is not one I'd be making deals to make happen.

20 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm excited to see what Fantenburgh can bring. I don't think we need to overspend on a D man. Only if Sutter, Goldy, or another middling forward were in play add to one of our many D prospects. 

Hughes and Joulevi are our skill guys this year. Hopefully Hughes lights it up for our PP.

He should be a decent option when an injury occurs. I have a feeling Juolevi will pass him quickly on the depth chart though. Fantenberg's only played 88 NHL games and he'll be 28 when the season starts. 4 goals 13 points. I'm assuming he's more of a defensive Dman. What if Tryamkin comes back? Fantenberg might be a Utica mainstay and get the odd game when injuries hit later in the season.   

Thought this quote from a Leafs blogger was quite entertaining:

Barrie isn’t as good as Jake Gardiner, and regardless of what your opinion happens to be on the subject of the Leafs most divisive player, that is still a fact, so it’s hard to say if they’re any better.

I think the problem is Leafs fans just aren’t aware of other players around the league. They’re too busy drinking their kool aide.

Meanwhile we’re almost a month into free agency and not even a rumour about a team interested in Gardiner...

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Thought this quote from a Leafs blogger was quite entertaining:

Barrie isn’t as good as Jake Gardiner, and regardless of what your opinion happens to be on the subject of the Leafs most divisive player, that is still a fact, so it’s hard to say if they’re any better.

I think the problem is Leafs fans just aren’t aware of other players around the league. They’re too busy drinking their kool aide.

Meanwhile we’re almost a month into free agency and not even a rumour about a team interested in Gardiner...

It'll flip one he signs somewhere.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

On 7/21/2019 at 10:41 AM, oldnews said:

Brodie doesn't really fit here - unless you propose to play him with Edler - and Myers with Hughes.

Brodie as a partner for Hughes = not a good idea imo.  

Brodie plays with Giordano - is enabled by Giordano - the idea of pairing him with a rookie pmd like Hughes is not one I'd be making deals to make happen.

Edler - Brodie would be a great pairing -- much better than Edler - Tanev as Tanev can't seem to stay healthy. Assuming we trade Tanev for futures and if Tryamkin doesn't come over next season as rumoured, Brodie would be a good fit as a Top-4 RD option until Woo develops into that role. 

Edler - Brodie

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Stecher

Then next season assuming no Tryamkin...

Edler - Brodie (re-signed)

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Stecher

The year after that...

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Brodie

______ - Woo

Stecher

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blömqvist said:

Edler - Brodie would be a great pairing -- much better than Edler - Tanev as Tanev can't seem to stay healthy. Assuming we trade Tanev for futures and if Tryamkin doesn't come over next season as rumoured, Brodie would be a good fit as a Top-4 RD option until Woo develops into that role. 

Edler - Brodie

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Stecher

Then next season assuming no Tryamkin...

Edler - Brodie (re-signed)

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Stecher

The year after that...

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Brodie

______ - Woo

Stecher

Brodie sucks socks.  The Flames have been trying to dump him for years.  That Kadri trade, shot down by Kadri, was clearly for Hamonic.  Flames propaganda leaked it was for Brodie.  No team is trading quality assets for that sack of socks.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brodie sucks socks.  The Flames have been trying to dump him for years.  That Kadri trade, shot down by Kadri, was clearly for Hamonic.  Flames propaganda leaked it was for Brodie.  No team is trading quality assets for that sack of socks.  

TJ Brodie is the Alex Edler of Calgary. He is a hell of a lot better than Calgary fans give him credit for. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know if I’m gonna get flamed less for necroposting here than for starting a new thread...in any case, I find this mildly interesting.

Berger used to be a big name in Toronto sports media and is still followed by all the most notable sources - not sure what happened to him.

Edited by nzan
  • Wat 1

We technically could free up some space here and there. But the cost would be ugly if we don't want to involve Boeser's rights, and sign him at something around 6,5M on bridge deal. 

Eriksson, Schaller, Beagle = 11 M 
Roussel on LTIR = 3M

Tanev + Baertschi + Leivo trade = ~9M.
Current Cap space = 5.8M , 23/23 players signed (according to Nhl Numbers-Puckpedia)  

Be prepared to lose so huge assets as sweeteners (something like rights to Tryamkin, Juolevi, Gaudette, Woo, Madden, Demko so on...) + multiple 1st rounds picks.

to be honnest, i would prefer a Tanev + Baertschi trade to Winnipeg for Ehlers without destructing the prospects pool.