The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

Gaudette is a 3rd liner right now, but we have no idea if that is his ceiling.

I posted the info below in a different thread but it is relevant to anyone that states Gaudette is a good 3rd line centre right now:

In December 2017 the HWs came up with an article titled "Top 5 Third-Line Centres in the NHL". They noted the following as the best (I added their ppg in 2017):

Radek Faksa  .42 ptspg
Patrik Bergluna .46
Charlie Coyle .56
Adam Lowry .47
Nick Bonino .35

Gaudette (last year)  .21

Gaudette, if we want him to get to be known as a very good third line centre, has a long way to go points wise to get to that level. He was at .21 ptspg last year. Developing in Utica this year has no downside and we can hope he does develop further.

Comparing him to Sutter like you did points wise Janis, a guy most of us are fine with trading later in the year, serves no purpose. Sutter in his hay day, also had .41-.45 ptspg....double of what Gaud did last year.

Keep Sutter one more year to take the hard minutes without subjecting those minutes to Gaudette too early in his young career. Let Gaud get more confidence, while Sutter gets beat on by other teams strongest players.

It would be to everyone's benefit imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

If Oldnews and I agree on something, clearly it is for a reason.

Tanev may have lower value now than ever... but if he was a UFA on the market, he would certainly get or exceed his current cap hit on a 1 year deal (what he has remaining).  He is by no means a cap dump and still a very steadying force on a blue line.

Ill say, Tanev isn’t really a ‘cap dump’. 

But I don’t believe he has any value right now until he proves he is health and can maybe stay healthy.  

Sutter is also worth about his cap hit and is not a pure money dump.  He is an excellent 3rd line centre, and paying low on him in a trade could return a team a good dividend if he was healthy this season.

No no he is not an excellent 3rd line Center.    He was a couple years ago.   

Gaudette is a 3rd liner right now, but we have no idea if that is his ceiling.

Prove it.    I’d love to see how you spin this, because his stats and play say otherwise. 

They aren't premier pieces by any means, but they aren't Eriksson cap dumps as none of them would make it through waivers.

I like Gaudette and don’t feel calling him a potential 3rd line Center is a bad thing.  

I think people are valuing Sutter and Tanev from too many years back.     

Injuries has ruined their bodies a lot recently and their games have suffered a lot because of it.   

Tanev, if healthy, could have some value bounce back.  

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So four 1st round picks, including two already producing in the NHL, one of which is already a top young RW in the league.  Compared to an offer sheet for four 1sts which won't even all be drafted for another five years, which is considered a very high cost.  Then compared to a single CONDITIONAL 1st for a 60 point player which is called an "overpayment"?

Good grief, what's in the air this morning.

:picard:

They will match any offersheet, and they aren't giving him away for anything but an overpayment. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We’re not so dumb compared to this:

7CD545F6-4016-4EE5-9AF3-15475A9BB038.gif

Contemplating moving the farm for Marner when we already have a top line RW, just drafted another potential top 6 RW, traded a 1st for a young top 6 that can play all forward positions, including RW, are still trying to develop our 2014 1st rd pick into a top 6, and moved Gudbranson for a borderline top 6 that can play both wings, especially when we don't have a legit top pairing right D or even a prospect that projects to be a top pairing D on the right side, makes it a pretty close race imho. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Contemplating moving the farm for Marner when we already have a top line RW, just drafted another potential top 6 RW, traded a 1st for a young top 6 that can play all forward positions, including RW, are still trying to develop our 2014 1st rd pick into a top 6, and moved Gudbranson for a borderline top 6 that can play both wings, especially when we don't have a legit top pairing right D or even a prospect that projects to be a top pairing D on the right side, makes it a pretty close race imho. 

Close yes, but I’d rather make a completely silly trade idea than get a sledge hammer to the old baby makers. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Close yes, but I’d rather make a completely silly trade idea than get a sledge hammer to the old baby makers. 

Pfft. And you call yourself a real fan :P

Point is if we're legitimately thinking of throwing together an asinine package for a top end player, I'd rather it be for something less redundant than another right winger. Yes, Marner would be an upgrade on anyone we have, but we're still in pretty good shape as far as RWers go, while Tyler Myers is still our top right side Dman, with the oft-injured Tanev as our 2nd pairing guy on the right side. Methinks that's a bit more of a concern than RW. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nzan said:

Don’t know if I’m gonna get flamed less for necroposting here than for starting a new thread...in any case, I find this mildly interesting.

Berger used to be a big name in Toronto sports media and is still followed by all the most notable sources - not sure what happened to him.

Ballard Raymond and a 2nd ;)

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we could. The F group would be set for years so from that pov losing the picks would be fine, its really on the d prospect side where we'd be taking the risk, particularly if there's no room left for a guy like Barrie. 

All of the current major d prospects would have to work out, all 4 of Hughes, Juolevi, Woo and Rathbone would have to make the team and be solid contributors. Its possible but risky.

Its just is Marner worth 4 1sts + 11 mil per year? dunno that anyone's worth that. But man that F group would be something special if Podkolzin turned out to be someone that should have gone 3rd or 4th oa. 

Miller-Petey-Marner

Podkolzin-Bo-Boeser 

It is true that if you get Marner at his age, suddenly you don't need to find 1st round prospects to be in the top 6.  At the same time though, with the salary cap the way it is, you need to recycle guys who are getting paid and insert guys who are on ELCs.  That forward group once they are off their ELCs would be way too expensive to keep together.

I guess you can plan on moving one of them out in three years for a kings ransom to fill the draft pick cupboard again.

12 hours ago, nzan said:

Don’t know if I’m gonna get flamed less for necroposting here than for starting a new thread...in any case, I find this mildly interesting.

Berger used to be a big name in Toronto sports media and is still followed by all the most notable sources - not sure what happened to him.

Man I was hoping for a new topic on this tbh, this is pretty big news if true, since no one has denied it yet either. I'm all on board for this 110%, and of course it probably involves Brock going the other way and I'm also on board for that 110%. As long as Pettersson, Horvat, or Hughes aren't involved then I'm fine with it. Maybe like a Brock, Tanev, prospect/pick maybe both, I'd be okay with that, Marner playing with Pettersson man that would be sick.

This is a ridiculous rumour that has no truth to it.

How could we tender an offer sheet with almost no cap space?

The only option would be a trade and to do that they would need to take Sutter, Tanev, and one of Baertschi, Schaller, or Roussel off of us. Why would they wanna do that unless we’re also including multiple 1sts and one of our top young players?

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Berger must be making sh$t up without even paying attention to what’s going on, one of the biggest moves made at the draft this year uses up our first - which we won’t have now to give Marner an offer sheet in the first place.    Trading is a possibility but we don’t have the cap space to sign him, not even close, and nobodies taking anyone off our hands but our core players (nobody wanted any of our guys except the core guys last TDL and again at the draft). 

We’d lose Boeser and maybe Hughes for Marner or at least Boeser and Ferland..it would gut our team.   No thanks - they can have Marner and his 11 million cap hit, would rather have Boeser and Ferland plus the sweetener (probably a first rounder). 

The firsts can be any 4 of the next 5 years. So we can offer sheet Marner.

Should we take a moment and appreciate the fact that this rumour (from the start of the thread by Rick Dhaliwal) thankfully came true and we added two legit top 6 d-men :)