The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

Marner for POdkolzin, Pearson, Tanev, Dipietro, Juolevi, whichever first Tbay doesn't use. I doubt Toronto does this, they will want guys like hughes, Demko, bo, bless, petey

I would just offer sheet the guy to 10.1 mill - 2 firsts, a second and a third, but we gave bay a conditional first, so we can't actually do this and they have to be "our picks" so we cannot trade for a first, the best we can do is the 8.1 mill max (1st, 2nd, 3rd), does Marner even sign that? he wants 10mill...

Ferland Petey Boesser

Miller Horvsat Marner

potentially the best top 6 in the nhl.

Wait...wtf Marner?  Seriously?

You know the Oilers could offer Yamamoto a 2nd and Draisatl and call it a day.  Leafs get that awesome centre/winger under decent contract a pick and a prospect and can deal with Marner.

Yotes can offer more.

Chicago can

I'd be ballsy enough to say I'd give up Boeser a couple picks and Juolevi for sure for Marner...but then there's a monster cap hit.  Leafs won't trade within their conference but we sure aren't getting him for literal crap and I'd trade Boeser +++ for him without blinking,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The firsts can be any 4 of the next 5 years. So we can offer sheet Marner.

Yep someone else also pointed it out, my mistake - still are we really going to do that?  Where’s the money coming from we can barely afford Boeser....

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Marner for POdkolzin, Pearson, Tanev, Dipietro, Juolevi, whichever first Tbay doesn't use. I doubt Toronto does this, they will want guys like hughes, Demko, bo, bless, petey

I would just offer sheet the guy to 10.1 mill - 2 firsts, a second and a third, but we gave bay a conditional first, so we can't actually do this and they have to be "our picks" so we cannot trade for a first, the best we can do is the 8.1 mill max (1st, 2nd, 3rd), does Marner even sign that? he wants 10mill...

Ferland Petey Boesser

Miller Horvsat Marner

potentially the best top 6 in the nhl.

Reports are he wants 11 or what AM is making - they screwed themselves with that deal 11.7 or whatever it is x 5 - right until the time he becomes a  Coyote as that’s he’s favourite team and by then they should have their stuff together in a big way...

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Wait...wtf Marner?  Seriously?

You know the Oilers could offer Yamamoto a 2nd and Draisatl and call it a day.  Leafs get that awesome centre/winger under decent contract a pick and a prospect and can deal with Marner.

Yotes can offer more.

Chicago can

I'd be ballsy enough to say I'd give up Boeser a couple picks and Juolevi for sure for Marner...but then there's a monster cap hit.  Leafs won't trade within their conference but we sure aren't getting him for literal crap and I'd trade Boeser +++ for him without blinking,

I doubt oilers would trade draisatle for him, he doesn't solve any problems for them, except costs more and is smaller and not as tough as draisatle

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep someone else also pointed it out, my mistake - still are we really going to do that?  Where’s the money coming from we can barely afford Boeser....

Not saying we are we just have the picks to do so. I think this rumour is bs though

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I posted the info below in a different thread but it is relevant to anyone that states Gaudette is a good 3rd line centre right now:

In December 2017 the HWs came up with an article titled "Top 5 Third-Line Centres in the NHL". They noted the following as the best (I added their ppg in 2017):

Radek Faksa  .42 ptspg
Patrik Bergluna .46
Charlie Coyle .56
Adam Lowry .47
Nick Bonino .35

Gaudette (last year)  .21

Gaudette, if we want him to get to be known as a very good third line centre, has a long way to go points wise to get to that level. He was at .21 ptspg last year. Developing in Utica this year has no downside and we can hope he does develop further.

Comparing him to Sutter like you did points wise Janis, a guy most of us are fine with trading later in the year, serves no purpose. Sutter in his hay day, also had .41-.45 ptspg....double of what Gaud did last year.

Keep Sutter one more year to take the hard minutes without subjecting those minutes to Gaudette too early in his young career. Let Gaud get more confidence, while Sutter gets beat on by other teams strongest players.

It would be to everyone's benefit imo.

Well you quoted me saying he is currently a 3rd liner... nowhere did I say he was one of the best 3rd line centres in the league.  It was taken entirely out of the context of the post where I was arguing that we can’t say his ceiling is as a 3rd liner yet.

He is also a kid and it is unfair to compare his PPG to veterans with years in the league under their belts.  His offence has plenty of time to come and he showed it at lower levels.

I have no argument against Gaudette playing on the minors this year, but I also don’t think we avoid moving Sutter if there is a deal to be made just to protect Gaudette.

5 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

I think it would be along the lines of Tanev + Boeser+ Gaudette+ one of Dipietro or demko and a first 

This would be more reasonable. I think the Leafs would bite without that first though. Maybe toss a second if they need to. The salary would work out.

I don’t like having to pay him 11M though. Pettersson would then command more in a couple years if his progression continues skyward.

Edited by grandmaster

5 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

I think it would be along the lines of Tanev + Boeser+ Gaudette+ one of Dipietro or demko and a first 

That isn’t an unreasonable offer, pretty much what a I would have posted.

Boeser

Tanev

DiPietro

1st

Another high pick or prospect 

Toronto gets better with that trade.  With the same cap hit as Marner, they add a top line winger to replace him and a much needed D.  A blue chip goaltending prospect and a 1st round pick help them keep their team intact going forward with cheap ELCs coming.

From our end, is a 60-70 point Boeser at $7 million a better deal than a 90-100 point Marner for $10.66 million?  Really tough call.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Boeser

Tanev

DiPietro

1st

Toronto gets better with that trade.  With the same cap hit as Marner, they add a top line winger to replace him and a much needed D.  A blue chip goaltending prospect and a 1st round pick help them keep their team intact going forward with cheap ELCs coming.

From our end, is a 60-70 point Boeser at $7 million a better deal than a 90-100 point Marner for $10.66 million?  Really tough call.

Marner IMO is the Leaf’s most valuable player.  He consistently drives the play better than any other player, and he does PK too.  Plus, he plays without fear.  I would not trade for him though.  The cost of his acquisition combined with the cap hit he will commend would be terrible for us.  

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Boeser

Tanev

DiPietro

1st

No it’s really not.

We destroy our depth for one player while getting only marginally better offensively.

Have people learned nothing from Toronto? They’ve put way too much money into 4 players and now they’re screwed. Do we really wanna follow their lead?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

I doubt oilers would trade draisatle for him, he doesn't solve any problems for them, except costs more and is smaller and not as tough as draisatle

Never said they would 

Just giving examples of teams capable of giving better offers

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No it’s really not.

We destroy our depth for one player while getting only marginally better offensively.

Have people learned nothing from Toronto? They’ve put way too much money into 4 players and now they’re screwed. Do we really wanna follow their lead?

30+ more points more isn't marginally better....

Marner is an elite player in the league and Boeser ir a very good player in the league.  Entirely different tiers of players.

Toronto is screwed because they have too many top paid forwards if they add Marner, even swapping Marner and Boeser and then signing Petterson, we don't have too many top paid forwards.  You can afford two 10+ million plus guys, just not three of them.

• Upvote 2