The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers place MacDonald on waivers

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

buy out period opens, wonder who else gets bought out.

I don't get it... why are they buying him out with only one year left on his contract? They have 30 Million and they are in good place financially. No UFAs this year, aside from maybe Kevin Hayes. Maybe they are going hard after Gardiner? He's not going to fix their problems.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

In before someone says he's a RD and we should take a 'Flyer' on him - pun intended.

Surprised it took their organization this long to buy him out frankly. 

He's not that bad. Sure he's no offensive stalwart, but here is a somewhat generalized report of his play, FWIW. He was paid 5 million, so more than Gudbranson.

Gudbranson's salary was a "deal" compared to this guy. But I guess you get what you pay for... Gudbranson's lack of puck mobility puts him in the 4M range.

Moves the puck well and is generally good with the puck. Can log an awful lot of ice time at all levels. Very mobile, he also has a bit of offensive ability (especially at lower levels). Does not play a consistent game at all, in all facets of the game, so there is a true lack of dependability and reliability here. Is somewhat prone to injury. Lacks ideal size.

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/5984

Edited by Dazzle

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't get it... why are they buying him out with only one year left on his contract? They have 30 Million and they are in good place financially. No UFAs this year, aside from maybe Kevin Hayes. Maybe they are going hard after Gardiner? He's not going to fix their problems.

The Flyers want to compete now and plan to be active in free agency.  They also have Provorov, Sanheim and Konecny as core RFAs to re-sign.  They need a veteran goalie to play with Carter Hart. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Look at their unsigned RFAs. Hartman, Laughton, Konecny, Provorov, Sanhein AND you have to sign Hayes and Neuvirth. Add the $9M they will offer Bobrovsky and there goes the cap. Not only that, they save about $3M cash doing this, so there's that too.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 2

May be a good fit with the Leafs. Older right side dman that cant play D very well anymore. Edit. If the Leafs do sign him cue the "Most Underrated Signing of the Summer" headlines.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2

Honestly wouldn't be the worst thing to sign the guy on a 1 year deal. Adds some much needed depth to our right D side. In my opinion he's comparable to Tanev.

Hutton-Tanev

Hughes-Stecher

Edler(or UFA)-MacDonald

Sautner-Schenn

Leaves lots of room to move pieces throughout the season. Hutton, Tanev, MacDonald, Schenn could all be moved if others show they're ready to play. Juolevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, Brisebois 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Honestly wouldn't be the worst thing to sign the guy on a 1 year deal. Adds some much needed depth to our right D side. In my opinion he's comparable to Tanev.

1.  I don't think he's comparable to Tanev, not even remotely.

2.  Bringing in a veteran defenceman who's main weaknesses are reliability and consistency isn't what you want to be exposing the developing core of youngsters to imo.

At least a guy like Schenn, while not the most skilled guy on the team, will give you 110% every shift - there's something to be said for having a guy like that on your team when you're trying to build a certain culture in my view. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hutton-Tanev

Hughes-Stecher

Edler(or UFA)-MacDonald

Sautner-Schenn

Leaves lots of room to move pieces throughout the season. Hutton, Tanev, MacDonald, Schenn could all be moved if others show they're ready to play. Juolevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, Brisebois 

It would way rather have Bulldog over Macdonald. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hutton-Tanev

Hughes-Stecher

Edler(or UFA)-MacDonald

Sautner-Schenn

Pass.  

I work with his cousin here on the east coast.  Without quoting her, basically he lives it up and is lazy.  Basically he knows he was set for life and doesn't care.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

In before someone says he's a RD and we should take a 'Flyer' on him - pun intended.

Surprised it took their organization this long to buy him out frankly. 

"wE sHoUlD tAkE a FlYeR oN hIm."

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder who will end up picking him up, he wasn't worth what he was being paid but I would imagine he's still a serviceable bottom pairing guy on a smaller deal. 

Toronto or Edmonton probably.

5 hours ago, Baer. said:

Look at their unsigned RFAs. Hartman, Laughton, Konecny, Provorov, Sanhein AND you have to sign Hayes and Neuvirth. Add the $9M they will offer Bobrovsky and there goes the cap. Not only that, they save about $3M cash doing this, so there's that too.

I imagine the Bobrovsky rumours were before Hart took over. I would have to think they might want to target a veteran backup at this point rather than a starter that will take over Hart's minutes.

Maybe there will be some interest in taking on Reimer and Hoffman from Florida to allow them go after Panarin and Bobrovsky.

• Upvote 1