The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BUYOUT] LA BUYS OUT PHANEUF

On 6/15/2019 at 1:15 PM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Would not be against a one year (place holder) deal. Staying on the west coast probably works as he would remain close to LA (family reasons) and Canucks would actually offer potential playing time. Could have a chip on his shoulder which is never a bad thing.

He lives in PEI, that being said unless hes done playing I dont see him caring where he goes as long as hes going somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

So here's a question.  Assuming we stabilize our top 6 D with Myers, Joulevi and potentially others this year, who would you rather have as the 7D at 1 year 1 million:

Schenn or Phaneuf? 

Is neither an option?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Monty said:

Is neither an option?

It sure is, but neither means Biega.  Biega's energy is great and all, but I think I take Schenn or Phaneuf over Biega.

Rafferty/Teves etc won't be the 7th as they need to develop and that will likely be in Utica.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the very early 2000's I worked with a guy who was formerly a Peterborough Pete, but had hockey career ending knee issues and so ended up with the feds...he was really young then, but not a teenager..for some reason he had playing knowledge of Dion "Phagoof" even back then and hated the guy. I wonder what beef they had then? He was convinced Dion was asshole enough to make and succeed in the NHL but not nearly a good enough player to deserve to do so. hahahaha

I assumed he was butthurt at the time, but now i tend to agree with his assessment. 

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

So here's a question.  Assuming we stabilize our top 6 D with Myers, Joulevi and potentially others this year, who would you rather have as the 7D at 1 year 1 million:

Schenn or Phaneuf? 

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev*

Juolevi - Biega

Schenn

*Sautner called up when Tanev goes down, he plays with Edler and Stech with Quinn

Don't want Myers, nor Phaneuf. Nor Gardiner. Would love Colin Miller, but that doesn't look likely right now.

6 minutes ago, Azzy said:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev*

Juolevi - Biega

Schenn

*Sautner called up when Tanev goes down, he plays with Edler and Stech with Quinn

Don't want Myers, nor Phaneuf. Nor Gardiner. Would love Colin Miller, but that doesn't look likely right now.

Yeah my preference is still Risto but I am good with Myers on a decent contract if that happens.  You would like to see Biega as part of the regular top 6?

14 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah my preference is still Risto but I am good with Myers on a decent contract if that happens.  You would like to see Biega as part of the regular top 6?

Literally ANYONE would be better than this incoming Myers deal. Biega, Sautner, Jordan Subban or Lukas Krajicek - this Myers deal is going to kill Benning's successor's cap manoeuvrability.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Azzy said:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev*

Juolevi - Biega

Schenn

If that is our top 6 to start the year the off season was a complete failure for JB as he stated he was going to rebuild the defense.

:sick:

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

In the very early 2000's I worked with a guy who was formerly a Peterborough Pete, but had hockey career ending knee issues and so ended up with the feds...he was really young then, but not a teenager..for some reason he had playing knowledge of Dion "Phagoof" even back then and hated the guy. I wonder what beef they had then? He was convinced Dion was asshole enough to make and succeed in the NHL but not nearly a good enough player to deserve to do so. hahahaha

I assumed he was butthurt at the time, but now i tend to agree with his assessment. 

All I get from this is you've worked with the feds........:ph34r:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If that is our top 6 to start the year the off season was a complete failure for JB as he stated he was going to rebuild the defense.

:sick:

Much better that than adding Myers at 7x7.

Just now, Azzy said:

Much better that than adding Myers at 7x7.

Coming back with the same defense is nearly unforgivable. We aren’t going to be any better for it. Does Myers on a reasonable contract make the defense better? Yes. It does. 7mil for 7 years? No thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Coming back with the same defense is nearly unforgivable. We aren’t going to be any better for it. Does Myers on a reasonable contract make the defense better? Yes. It does. 7mil for 7 years? No thank you. 

Myers simply won't take a decent deal. He's one of two big name D on the market and he's going to make it rain dollar. 7x7 might be the best we could hope for.

Just now, Azzy said:

Myers simply won't take a decent deal. He's one of two big name D on the market and he's going to make it rain dollar. 7x7 might be the best we could hope for.

Then Benning better pass. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Then Benning better pass. 

That's what I was saying - Myers is okay for 2-3 years on $4m-$5m, but anything longer term or higher AAV and he's hamstringing both himself and his successor. I'd rather see Quinn play his off side than see Myers on our team.