The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade Olli Maatta to Blackhawks for Dominik Kahun, 2019 5th-round pick

8 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

pissed off at gary bettman for just handing em the 3rd overall so they can draft byram. rich just keeps getting richer

Are we at all surprised the top three picks go the three struggling US teams?

The Hawks just traded a good young player for (as a previous poster pointed out) a lump.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I wonder if this is an indicator of the way Chicago is leaning with the 3rd overall pick. Alex Turcotte instead of Bowen Byram? Maybe I am reading too much into it? What does everyone here think?

Or take Byram and trade one of top D prospects to Montreal for Poehling.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

looks like Pettersson made Maata expendable.

Still - I like the deal for the Hawks (and therefore hate the deal).   I think Maata is/remains under-rated = a good bet for the Hawks to make.

As much as it makes me cringe I think the Hawks will be back in the playoffs next year. 

Hawks get a 24 year old D-Man drafted 22nd overall in exchange for a 23 year old undrafted forward and a 5th round pick.

Kahun was one of the most noticeable players on the German national team at the winter olympics in south korea in February 2018. The german national team with headcoach Marco Sturm (now assistant coach with the L.A. Kings) defeated Team Canada with headcoach Willie Desjardins in the semi - final and advanced to the final against Russia.

Couple of weeks after the tournament I reached out to someone being close to the Vancouver Canucks and recommended that the Canucks should sign Kahun pointing out that the was dominant in the German League with almost a point per game production in the regular season for the Munich Red Bulls and his performance at the Winter Olympics.

Hawks got rewarded for their decent pro scouting.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are we at all surprised the top three picks go the three struggling US teams?

The Hawks just traded a good young player for (as a previous poster pointed out) a lump.  

I agree that Maatta isn't a Norris winning caliber defenseman.....but a lump?

If you actually seen the Hawks last year and their whopping 2nd worst GAA in the league, you would have gotten the pleasure of watching the likes of Jan Ruutta, Brandon Davidson, and Brandon Manning platooning our back end.  Now those guys were the perfect illustration of a bunch a f***in' lumps.  No way Maatta is on those guys level of terrible.

Maatta is still gonna be an upgrade over Dahlstrom, Forsling, Koekkoek, and probably Seabrook depending on his regression and conditioning.

Edited by skolozsy2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Or take Byram and trade one of top D prospects to Montreal for Poehling.

I'd do that.  Poehling for one of Boqvist, Mitchell, or Jokiharju.  Have could use some defensive prospects.

• Upvote 1