The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Carl Hagelin

25 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He took a huge pay cut, but is probably way closer to being paid what he's actually worth now.

I don't know about that. A 30 year old winger coming off of 5 goals in 65 games getting a four year deal worth 2.75 million per year sounds like he did well.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I don't know about that. A 30 year old winger coming off of 5 goals in 65 games getting a four year deal worth 2.75 million per year sounds like he did well.

Good thing he provides more than just goals and points. He was part of their top PK unit as soon as he joined their team. He's a good defensive player much like Eriksson and if Eriksson was paid around 3 million a year, no one would be complaining about him. Smart defensive play seems so underrated.

I should add that his 19 points in 58 games isn't far from what his career numbers have been. It's a small dip, but he did have 11 in 20 with Washington (in the regular season) so perhaps he found new life there much like how Pearson looks like he may have found new life here after a couple of poor performances with two other teams as well this season. He didn't put up the numbers in the playoffs, but he averaged nearly 3 mins a night on the PK that ranked 4th in the playoffs at 88% (but it's a small number of games, so who knows how representative it is, but better than Tampa's 50% PK that got swept for example).

Edited by theo5789